Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lose a frag if you don't frag someone in 60 seconds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lose a frag if you don't frag someone in 60 seconds.

Suppose I add a second timer to a deathmatch, that counts down from 60 seconds (could be less), and then resets when it reaches 0 and counts down again. If a player hasn't frag someone in that time period, they lose a frag.

Think this is a dumb idea, explain why.

What is your reasoning behind this, if I may ask?

Comment

That's a bad idea.

I think it might be an interesting idea to toy with. I figured I'd ask people wiser than me what they thought of such an idea. I figure most people will think its dumb, so I'm ask them to explain why.

Comment

Hah hah! I rather like the idea! It's just like Mutant!

Where you lose health and die instead of frags. And Frags are the main points in the game. And it'll be good training for speed-frags.

Comment

I really don't see the point. If you don't frag someone in 5 min while playing DM, you've lost the game anyway...or you are owning the other players so badly you should be ashamed of yourself for not helping them improve their skillz.

Comment

Originally posted by {DvT}JonahHex View Post
            If you don't frag someone in 5 min while playing DM, you've lost the game anyway
            Not if its 1 vs. 1.

But, on the whole, your correct; and in TDM, you wouldn't be helping your team much.

60 seconds.

Would that be better?

Originally posted by Lorin-Slasher View Post
            And Frags are the main points in the game.
            Exactly. I want to motivate you to frag without worrying about your death.

But, I'm afraid this dumb idea has no chance of accomplishing that.

Comment

I think it's a good idea. I would make the timer somewhere between 60 and 30 seconds though, maybe make that a customisable option for the mutator.

I'd have maybe a bar or timer on screen to show how much time you have left and have a sound effect play every few (ten?) seconds and when you have less time it speeds up. So if you're at the last few seconds its sounding like an alarm.

The reason this is a good idea is that it stops people from getting slightly ahead in frags and then try to avoid all conflict in order to keep their lead. If it's a 1-on-1 game, you can win by this sort of tactic if you can just run and hide well enough.

With your mut, they'd be running and dodging to try and keep their lead, then they'll hear the "wharmp-wharmp-wharmp.." of the timer and think "Oh yeah, I HAVE to fight!"

I'm not saying it should be standard on every game, but it could be fun to switch it on and have to try and speed frag your mates every now and again. And that's what mutators are all about, giving you alternatives.

Comment

I changed the thread title from "Lose a frag if you don't frag someone in 5 minutes" to "Lose a frag if you don't frag someone in 60 seconds"

Originally posted by Godsbane View Post
                I would make the timer somewhere between 60 and 30 seconds though, maybe make that a customisable option for the mutator.
                Certainly. Yes, I'm all for customization.

I'd have maybe a bar or timer on screen to show how much time you have left and have a sound effect play every few (ten?) seconds and when you have less time it speeds up. So if you're at the last few seconds its sounding like an alarm.
                There definitely needs to be a timer, but I'm not sure a lot of people would be crazy for the progress bar, or even sound effects, as they might be considered distracting. The sound effect might mask other sounds in the game. As for visual cues, could have the timer flash in the way other HUD elements flash, for the last 10 or even 20 seconds, flashing faster every 5 seconds.

The reason this is a good idea is that it stops people from getting slightly ahead in frags and then try to avoid all conflict in order to keep their lead.
                Exactly.

If it's a 1-on-1 game, you can win by this sort of tactic if you can just run and hide well enough.
                You're right. It would be a dumb idea for a 1 vs 1 match.

However, if all players reach a negative frag count before the match ends, then someone can only win the match in overtime by fragging their way out of the hole. So, unless you have a greater frag lead than there are minutes left in the match, then and only then can you run and hide.

Still, this dumb idea would work better with more than 2 players.

With your mut, they'd be running and dodging to try and keep their lead, then they'll hear the "wharmp-wharmp-wharmp.." of the timer and think "Oh yeah, I HAVE to fight!"
                WOW! That would be terrific.

I'm not saying it should be standard on every game, but it could be fun to switch it on and have to try and speed frag your mates every now and again. And that's what mutators are all about, giving you alternatives.
                Exactly. That's is, indeed, the point of mutators.

Comment

I don't see the point for 1-on-1 either. In the competitive games I've seen, once a player scores a kill he'll try to go on a spawn rape rampage.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                    I don't see the point for 1-on-1 either.
                    I agree.

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                    In the competitive games I've seen, once a player scores a kill he'll try to go on a spawn rape rampage.
                    In other words, he scores a couple of frags and everyone else loses some before they even have a chance to arm themselves.

I don't think the dumb idea in its current form will work. Their are two reason why.

1. Players who make a frag in sixty seconds will ultimately score two frags over those players who don't. To put it simply, that's unfair.

2. If no one makes a frag, each player will lose a frag, therefore, no one will have gained or loss anything. The only positive effect (if you can call it that) is the loss of a frag might put all players in the negative, and if you need a positive score to win, the game will not end until someone frags their way out of the hole.

I have another dumb idea.

There will be two conditions that apply for each 60 seconds.

When the match starts, you will not lose a point, until you make a frag, regardless of how many sixty second cycles have passed. (I can already see issues with this)

Once you make a frag, you gain a point, but you must frag someone again in the next 60 seconds, or you lose the frag you made. Then you must make another, and then another, so on ad nausem.

If you don't frag someone in the 2nd 60 seconds cycle, after you have made a frag, you don't lose another point.

Is this a dumb idea? Or not? Please explain.

Comment

How about making this a mut of Last Man Standing? I find that while LMS tries to keep you from running from the fight by stopping you from camping, it doesn't do a very good job of it, and the main fighters of the game will end up paying for their enthusiasm, since frags don't matter in LMS.

So you could totally do away with the frag count, to make people more focused on staying alive, but at the same time make it so they lose a life if they don't frag someone every 30 seconds. I'd love to play a mod like this, and I can imagine some pretty interesting situations. Like running past someone in a hall, while both of you stare each other down, but without taking a shot because you've both just killed someone. Or stalking someone until you've got 5 seconds left to make a frag. Or madly running about with a charging RL, trying to find a kill before you die with 2 seconds on the clock.

Comment

Working...
                      X