Making-the-Scorpion-useful idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making-the-Scorpion-useful idea

Can someone code the link-turret's 'weapon' on a scorpion, instead of the webslinger ? Even if only the beam and not the pulses. This would make the Scorpion a very tactical and valuable vehicle, used more for repairing stuff than for attacking stuff ..

Hmm... I rather like this idea!

Both offensive and defensive... Efficient!

Comment

Codewise, the Link Turret is coded differently from other vehicles and turret. In fact, the Link Turret subclasses the Linkgun itself. This would need to be coded virtually from stratch.

Seeing some Link Scorpions racing around, linking up to each other and frying every foot soldier would be COOL though.

Comment

A close range weapon like the Link Shaft on a vehicle like the Scorpion, which is rather hard to maneuver doesn't strike me as all that useful. I mean, just look at the usefulness of the blades -- Not very useful.

As for repairing stuff? That's easy. You just need to set your projectiles/traces to cause negative damage when they hit friendly targets.

Getting a real linkable Link Gun/Turret on the Scorpion is a lot more work.

Comment

For me the basic idea is to make the Scorp a repairing vehicle (Though letting it heal players is a bit iffy, I think)

Making it linkable etc is only a secondary idea.

Comment

CMan already did this. Dunno why he didn't release it... maybe he just considered it a tech demo.

Comment

Well if the Scorpions would be repair vehicles, I'd suggest taking a few of them with you when driving a giant vehicle. (Leviathan)
              5 Scorpions healing a damaged Leviathan. Imagine the repair time.

Comment

That was my idea exactly. Still hoping someone would code it .. The scorpions would become very juicy targets that way.

Comment

Unless they do this.

[] --- Leviathan
                  ^^---- Scorpions
                  ^^

Hiding behind the Leviathan so the Leviathan takes the damage and the Scorpions link up and heal the Leviathan.

Comment

Not to be too much of a downer, but a Scorpion with healing capabilities would be about as juicy a target as a guy on foot with a link gun ... Not very.

Also, for any semblance of balance you'd probably need to figure out some way to bring resource management to any sort of healing it could do. Infinite healing capability is a tough thing to deal with.

Comment

i do believe if you cant find a way to make the scorpion useful as is, then it wont be any more useful slapping a different weapon on it.

so while they are useful on their own, this would be very entertaining :P

Comment

Well, I'm all for this idea, sounds interesting. The problem should be finding someone willing to do it, most modders seem to abandon UT2k4 now, with UT3 on the horizon. And porting the mod over to UT3 might not be neccessary if the new Scorpion is more useful than the old one. At least from what we know it will definitively have a kamikaze function and I think a Link beam wouldn't fit a suicide vehicle well.
                        Well, maybe CMan can be talked into releasing his version.
                        Regarding the UT3 Scorpion: I wonder how its new weapon will be like. As far as I heard it's still subject to change, but during the last time it was mentioned, it was some kind of explosive PhysX-enhanced energy ball...

Comment

Like the Shock Combo?

Comment

about healing power....why not make the cannons overheat after a period of time requiring a charge?

Comment

Like the Fyrian cannon from Weapons Of Evil?

Comment

Working...
                              X