RPG - Achievable using UnrealScript?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Why not look at UT2k4RPG and see what they have going already. I believe it is a credit for modding project so I don't think the fellow who made it would terribly mind you modding it. Also, Lineage II uses UT2.x for their engine...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: RPG - Achievable using UnrealScript?

The Unreal Engine 2.0+ has the ability to override keyboard and mouse input, using things called "Interactions". Interactions also have the ability to render to the HUD (i.e. text boxes, inventory loadout, etc.), though it might be easier to use the GUI system for that.

As for the inventory system, Deus Ex had that (using the Unreal Engine 1 - I haven't played Deus Ex 2.)

I'm sure it's all possible in UnrealScript - it's just a matter of how much work someone is willing to put in.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Mr. uglyPants
    THAT, my friend would take on hell of a long time to code!
    But the prototype wouldn't unclude a battle system, and probably not even an inventory.

So that would just leave object/npc interaction + text box, and camera movement.

I hear that Ragnarok 2 is using the U3 engine, so these things must be possible, but of course they have the full source code.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Our UT2004 mod is looking to make stuff like this too.

http://www.slothworks.com/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    THAT, my friend would take on hell of a long time to code!

Leave a comment:

• started a topic RPG - Achievable using UnrealScript?

RPG - Achievable using UnrealScript?

I'm looking to start an RPG in the style of games like Suikoden, Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun and the like.

It would be entirely original (intellectual property-wise anyway), and would be released on the UT2007 engine.

To start with, the mod would be a small 2 room prototype which consisted of the main mechanics of a basic RPG game (inventory, character interaction, object interaction.) If it worked, then we could maybe begin on a larger game. Best to keep it small at first so we could actually get something finished.

I just need to know if some of these things are possible without the full source code:
    [list=1][*]A mouse-driven interface.[*]Hovering the mouse cursor over an "active" object will highlight it, then when clicked upon will be added to your inventory.[*]When an NPC is clicked on, the character will walk up to them, then instigate conversation. This will mean a bitmap-bordered box appearing containing text. The text will have to be scrollable/skippable.[*]Eventually the game would need a battle system (though not for the prototype). This would mean an instanced room (or teleported to another place in the map), and would have your character up against a maximum of 3 enemies, each taking turns to attack. This would also include a text-box letting you choose your type of attack - mouse-driven.[*]On pressing of the right-mouse button, moving the mouse will allow you to rotate the camera. I'm guessing this is possible, but it would be nice for the camera movement to have some smoothing, so that it doesn't stop rotating the moment you stop moving the mouse. (The game would be 3rd-person by the way.)[*]Inventory system with a certain amount of "blocks". Clicking and dragging to organise, double-clicking to equip/use.[/list=1]
Working...
X