Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ALPHA1/LAYOUT] CTF-?'s layout needs comments!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ALPHA1/LAYOUT] CTF-?'s layout needs comments!

Alright, I've been having some free time, and I made a "sketch" for a CTF map's layout.

Here is the layout;

// Red and Blue; flags, Yellow; small shields, Orange; large shields, Purple; DAmp, Green; health.

Okay, what I want is a three route CTF map (for 8-12 players) with all the weapons in. I could drop some of the shields or DAmp tho.

Give suggestions for making the layout better.

Looks good, except it's a bit too linear, and should have rooms instead of long hallways (imo).

Comment

Alright, I'll try that. Thanks.

Comment

...while I'm thinking about it, lemme go into detail on what i meant by "too linear". ^^;

Generally, it's a bad idea to have long narrow hallways, as these quickly become prime sniping positions, because of both the distance, and the limited mobility of the person on the receiving end of the bullet/lightning round.

Same thing goes with being able to see clear across the level.

Comment

yea thats the problem
          theres no walls :P
          just a bunch of lines

no good man

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge-David
            yea thats the problem
            theres no walls :P
            just a bunch of lines

no good man
            .....The lines ARE the walls, dude.

Comment

Well that sketch was for routes, not floorplans.

But I know what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by musilowski
                Well that sketch was for routes, not floorplans.

But I know what you mean.

...ooooh. lol ^^;

If this is more of a general guideline of game flow than it is a floorplan, then disregaurd my original comment. This could work well.

Comment

hahahahahahaha just make the boxes then see if you like em :P

and then add some detail on walls and take a pic then send it over so we can rate it and BAM you can do this or that :P

Comment

Yar, I'm going to make a basic BSP 'skeleton' first, get comments, then refine it, more comments, etc, etc...

Comment

You should either balance the layout in such a way that each of the 3 routes are about equal in length, or to balance it by placing more weapons/health/pickups on the longer routes. and if at all possible, no RCR
                      Hope that helps a little

Comment

Originally posted by Sjosz
                        You should either balance the layout in such a way that each of the 3 routes are about equal in length, or to balance it by placing more weapons/health/pickups on the longer routes. and if at all possible, no RCR
                        Hope that helps a little
                        Okay, thanks for the post.

Comment

How about another couple of pages depiciting z-axis - from the diagram it looks like there are just two long ramps and maybe a couple of lifts? It looks more like a human race course in it's paper form.

Planning on paper is always good but it can only do so much, I think for geometric prototypes you can learn more from just jumping in the editor - because then you are working in the same format as the map will actually be (3D).

Paper has always been good for thematic concept sketches, "hot" area sketches and general (multi level) floorplan - but from your sketch it looks like you are thinking to narrowly and not spatially enough....

... or something

yeah build some proto types then go back to the plans and rework them, I am sure you will once you actually start building it.

Comment

Okay sharpfish, thanks for the reply.

BTW - do you see that sketch as the floorplan or the routeplan (it's a routeplan)?

Comment

Working...
                            X