• replied
    um....yea

i got the flakrat 2

ohwell why dont you just make a shotgun like mine layer

fires like 8 mines in 1 shot and the 8 count as 1 mine <.<

SPAM AWAY!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    After trying out the Harpy made by UT2004Addict I thought of a few changes to improve on what I already described.

Instead of droping a sack of spider mines while uncloaked it could drop a slightly beefed up version of the drones he made. Beefing them up would include removing the self destruct timer that are on the ones he made and either increacing the ammo limit on them or raising the damage they do.

Adding a passenger seat with a sniping weapon that is dependent on the statice of the cloak. While uncloaked it would shoot an enhanced(slight boost in damage done) lightning gun bolt. While cloaked it would shoot a standerd sniper rifle that would cause a distortion in the cloak and a puff of smoke.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The Flak Rat spider mortar is the most uber weapon evar. "Hey, I'll just sit behind this hill and spam unlimited spider mines at half the battlefield..."

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ive been playing a game that does have anti vehicle mines in it lately and when you have such a large map and have single anti tank mines, where the engineer can only hold a few at a time it is very 'hit-and-miss' and would take a LONG time to set up a perimeter with the mines..

If anyone remembers Command and Conquer red alert, they had a vehicle mine layer in that which drops these singular mines and holds about 5 at a time, you can reload them but this makes it a slow process to defend the base with mines.

But they are a good idea.... I think traps of any kind are a good idea and create a lot of strategy. And I know nobody likes dying by some invisible force but whats the point of a trap you can see And you cant always see who picks you off with a sniper rifle either....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    sounds cool
    iv seen a like beta version of that kinda idea on the FlakRat's morter rounds
    that is controlled by the passenger(they explode releasing a spider mine)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    and can be seen easier with nightvision on

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The Excessive mines occasionally "shimmer".

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Fizzyxl
    However, if you go for the origional idea theres big issues.
    1. spidermines are lethal! dropping 10 would be devestating.
    2. invisible mines?!?! thats no fun, you could drive in front of a goliath and start dropping mines and they would not realise your dropping new mines all the time.
    3. mantas should be unaffected... that the great thing about mantas, they can travel across otherwise inaccessible terrain without being airbourne. such as water, lava etc.
    1. If you keep reading I did change that to a lower number. The spiders also don't stay in a clump. they are spread over a predetermined radius.
    2. The cloak on the ship would have the same shimmering effect as the invisibility combo, but on a larger scale so it should be easier to see than a person that is useing it. While cloaked the vehicle health is much lower due to the lack of an energy shield so it is easier to kill. The cloak on the mines would not be perfect(like on the exessive mutator's spiders) so someone that was paying attention could see them.
    3. The mantas stay aloft on water and lava because of a strong downdraft from the fans. The strong force of the air next to the fans is what would set them off, but if a manta jumped the force at ground level would be weak enough to not set off the mine.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    cloaking would always be cool, however I agree... should be a flyer and secondary fire cloaks/ de-cloaks.
    the cloaking only lasts for 15 seconds... and then re-charge for 10 seconds.

primary fire i reckon should be rockets as they leave a trail so would be balanced that way.
    Basically i think it should be a cloaked raptor (diff model though) which fires 2 of the raptor rockets before the delay (reloading the tubes)

in cloaked mode it should be weaker and possibly able to strafe faster?

Im liking this idea...

However, if you go for the origional idea theres big issues.
    1. spidermines are lethal! dropping 10 would be devestating.
    2. invisible mines?!?! thats no fun, you could drive in front of a goliath and start dropping mines and they would not realise your dropping new mines all the time.
    3. mantas should be unaffected... that the great thing about mantas, they can travel across otherwise inaccessible terrain without being airbourne. such as water, lava etc.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ...As for the actual deployment of the mines, how about instead of a bag or whatever, they drop in a sort of bomb-shaped container, a-la hl2? (Remember in Ravenholm and other places, where you see what appears to be a bomb sunk partially into the ground from where it was dropped (launched?) from a great hight, and headcrabs pop out of it?) Of course, the spider mines would instead literally "pop" out of it upon impact in a circular spray, and immediately following, the cannisterbomb/whatever would explode or something, so accumulated cannisters wouldn't start to cause lag.

I highly suggest not including the altfire control method of directing the mines, as it would be instantly seeable by pretty much anyone on the map, and make the flier a sitting duck.

I also suggest making it a tad... slow. Otherwise at the start of every onslaught game, each team is going to rush into one to harass the other before they can get a node set up.

As for being invisible... hell, why not make it naturally invisible? Imperfect, of course; I'm refering more to camoflage, where it would be hard to spot, but possible to see. The bomp drop and invisibility could be tied together, for balance issues, so when you drop the bomb, you're completely visable while waiting to reload.

Whatever alternative fire it has other than the bomb drop is going to need some serious consideration; giving an invisible flier a normal beam weapon is going to unbalance things considerably. Not to mention, it would be kinda nice to see another weapon that would fit with the "assassin bomber" role more smoothly.

Sidenote. I could possibly model for this, but we'd also need a coder.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by q03
    I am not sure about haveing alot of different types of mines. If it gets too complicated people won't want to use it.
    U4E's compound bow actually uses the exact altclick / scroll-through-menu setup I mentioned above, and it works fine, not confusing at all. Other mods have multi-ammo grenade launchers. I don't see why something like that couldn't be added to a vehicle. More ammo types = more fun (imho).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    New ideas always need a little tweaking.

I was also thinking that the cloaked mines would need a defect that would make it so someone could see them if they were paying attention.

When I said it would drop a sack of spiders(like an egg sack), the sack of 10 from White Castle poped into my head. You are right 10 is to much. How about a 6 pack with a limit of 8 drops?

I was thinking the vehicle would be something like a Scorpian or Hellbender on a raised suspention so it could pick it's way through a mine field by stradaling the mines.

Rigging a 3rd fire mode to let the driver defend himself is a great idea. (Prim = Gun, AltFire = Mine, 3rd fire = cloak) would let someone use it even if they don't know how to cloak.

I am not sure about haveing alot of different types of mines. If it gets too complicated people won't want to use it.

To balance the vehicle without limiting the amount of time it is cloaked it could be designed with a energy shield(extra health) that is only present when the cloak is turned off(like on Star Trek).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Xyx
    I like the idea, but I do think it needs some tweaking.
    Yeah, how about:

--The vehicle is a flyer and can only cloak for an x amount of secs at a time, then needs to recharge, or it can only (auto)cloak when stationary.

--The cloaking effect is better than the default combo's, but not 'perfect' (i.e. it can still be spotted if you really pay attention). Sound levels are low, as suggested by q03.

--Custom mines, for example poison gas (~6 max), incendiary (~6 max), and AP (8 max; these mines jump approx. 1.5 player heights into the air when triggered, and release a semi-spherical burst of flak shards. Deadly against foot soldiers, but not very effective against vehicles). You could also have a mine type ('tankbuster'?) that only works when dropped on top of a vehicle. The explosion is quite powerful, but also extremely 'tight' and almost completely focused downwards.

--The max amount of active mines is always 8, and on top of that each mine type has its own max (see above) to keep things somewhat balanced.

--You can select mine types by pressing & holding alt and scrolling through a little 'menu'. Releasing alt launches a mine.

--Prim is some kind of dual plasma or hitscan weapon. Can be used for basic self-defense (when spotted) or for finishing off wounded / damaged targets. Alternatively, it is a link gun alt beam and can be used to grow the spider mines (spider steroids). It can also be used to attack people and vehicles, though only at close range.

--If the vehicle is based on a Raptor, i.e. a high flyer, mines will only deploy as spider mines when dropped close to the ground. When dropped from a great(er) height they act like regular bombs, and explode / release gas etc. upon impact.

--Nuclear self-destruct as a bonus feature.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I like the idea, but I do think it needs some tweaking.

Nobody likes driving around doing their thing just fine and then suddenly being blown up by an invisible mine. What would keep you from mining every exit from your opponents' bases? Excessive Overkill has spider mines that grow and cloak, but they "flicker" from time to time, allowing careful players to spot them.

The "bag of 10 spider mines" is totally uber. Those things do 70 damage to people and some 200 to vehicles.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Vehicle Minelayer

Vehicle Minelayer

I just had another crazy idea for a vehicle. How about a stealth vehicle that lays large anti personel mines.

Secondary fire would activate/deactivate a cloaking device that gives the machine the same effect as the invisability combo. When cloaked you move at half the normal speed, but make very little noise.

The primary fire changes depending on weather or not you are cloaked.[list=1][*]When cloaked you drop invisible land mines that blow when steped on or driven over. The force of the air jet from a manta hovering over it will also set it off. The mine would kill a Manta or Scorpian and at least leave a HellBender smoking.[*]When uncloaked it drops a sack of spider mines(10 spiders per sack) which spread out to cover the area after a short delay.[/list=1] There would of be a limit of 10 packages for each vehicle that could be on the field at any given time. If someone tries to drop more after the limit is reached the oldest package will self destruct.
Working...
X