Life Cannon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life Cannon

I'm thinking about making this and would like some comments on it..

The Life Cannon is a superweapon that you charge with your own health. The more health you put into it, and the less health you have left afterwards, the bigger and more powerful the explosion it makes wherever you're targeting.
    Basically, D = h * (100 / r) * m
    where D is total damage dealt, h is the amount of health you put in, r is the amount of health you have left, and m is a constant (probably around 0.05 to 0.1).

So, for example, if you're at 199 health, and you charge the Cannon with 198 health, you have D = 198 * (100/1) * 0.05 = 990 damage.
    On the other hand, you now have 1 health and can be taken out by a person landing on your head.

pssh that would be worth it. like a kamikaze attack. but will the size of the explosion change as well or just the damage the explosion induces? will it stop charging when you have 1 point or will it keep charging? will it subtract as it charges or as it fires? its an interesting concept but what else do you have on it? it is a vehicle or a gun? can it self destruct?

Comment

yea but it can be a real pain in the *** when you charge it with all your health and then miss the target :cry: :sulk:

Comment

Nice, but how about a weapon that has to be charged with the health of enemies rather than your own? For example, prim works like the link gun's altfire (beam), only instead of just causing damage it transfers their HP to your gun. Alt is a deemer-like projectile (greater HP charge = bigger explosion).

Btw, in case you're looking for some related non-superweapon ideas, check out this thread.

Comment

reminds me of the pistols from bloodryne2 but for that you have to get close to them and then hook it up.

i figure if you charge it with all your life you wont realy miss will you? its like missing with a redeemer. not impossible but rather dificult. you get a pretty big strike zone.
          but im not quite sure you can make the explosion size relative to the health. it would have to use multiple animations for each size of explosion. *checks SDK*

Comment

Finally starting to actually work on this. I've put together a preliminary weapon mesh - C&C appreciated.
            [shot]http://www.mm-3.net/ut/lc_pic1.png[/shot]
            [shot]http://www.mm-3.net/ut/lc_pic2.png[/shot]
            [shot]http://www.mm-3.net/ut/lc_wire.png[/shot]

One thing I'm really hung up about is the vulnerability of the person firing this thing... yes, they get to make a really really huge explosion, but if someone headshots them as they're about to let it off, that'll kinda suck, no? Any ideas on how I can balance this? :alien:

Comment

How about if the weapon fires the current charge if the player is killed while holding it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mahalis
                C&C appreciated.
                Looking good. The handles and scope look stuck on as an afterthought, not integrated into the whole.

if someone headshots them as they're about to let it off, that'll kinda suck, no?
                Headshot kinda ruins anybody's day no matter what, no?

Comment

what if you use the current health of the player and let that decide how many damage is dealt. So for example, i pick up the life cannon and use the allammo command to get 999 ammo. i shoot someone (my health is 100 and his too) and he is left with 1 or 2 healthpoints left. I decide to search for health vials, i return with 150 health and shoot someone else (health of that guy is 100), bigger explosion and the guy instantly dies. Or you could let the gun have some kind of health which is drained with every shot (not ammo, an energy thing or something like that)

Comment

Or how about... for some rebalancing and favoring the underdog... letting damage be inversely proportional to health? Less health = more damage.

Comment

yes that sounds nice
                      um...100health dues 50 damage
                      50health dues 75
                      1health dues 350(kiss's any person with max health and arm)
                      kill's*

maybe add more splash with less health
                      and have like um...199health dues agout 5 LoL and with 150arm 1 XD

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx
                        Looking good. The handles and scope look stuck on as an afterthought, not integrated into the whole.
                        Hmm.. yeah. I'll probably just take the scope off - would making the handles bigger help?

Originally posted by Xyx
                        ...letting damage be inversely proportional to health? Less health = more damage.
                        Hmm. I've already got damage inversely proportional to health -remaining- after charging, but I'll see about adding starting health into the equation.

Originally posted by Sarge-David
                        maybe add more splash with less health
                        However I handle the charging, both the damage and the explosion radius will change.

Comment

More textured shots... this is probably the final version, I need to start figuring out how to get it into the game now.
                          [shot]http://www.mm-3.net/ut/lc_tex2.png[/shot]

First person:
                          [shot]http://www.mm-3.net/ut/lc_fp1.png[/shot]

Comment

Nice concept... I'd like to play something like this.

**SNIP** but if someone headshots them as they're about to let it off, that'll kinda suck, no? Any ideas on how I can balance this? :alien:
                            Well, it'd be just like holding any other gun and getting your head blown off. Only difference is that this gun is sucking health so you'll presumably have less health, but a headshot is a headshot...

Also, a good reason not to just stand around picking your nose when charging the gun. You'll have to be much more aware of your surroundings so you dont get killed till you fire off the blast.

Comment

Are you gonna be able to control where the shot gose, like a redeemer?

Comment

Working...
                              X