• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sarge-David
    or altest on yourteam.....wouldnt they give a hand? XD
    :weird: What is "altest"? A typo?
    "yea at times the 100health feels like its not enuff >.>
    mostly when lots of ppl are shooting you
    "
    I'd say explosive devices shouldn't be able to take much damage before exploding.

"im going to try it out of a server wootage XD"
    The TransSpider hasn't been tested for network play. I would be surprised if it worked.

Anyway, I've never played UT2004 online, having lost interest in competitive play by the time I got broadband (I'm on dial-up again now.)

I don't see the server, so I guess I'm either looking in the wrong place, or you've already tried it and it didn't work.

Comment

Hang on a sec... Is it possible to "Ride" on the transpider?
      I mean... after it's enlarged by Spider Steroids that is...

Comment

Originally posted by LorinUT
        Hang on a sec... Is it possible to "Ride" on the transpider?
        I mean... after it's enlarged by Spider Steroids that is...
        N/A. As I said, Spider Steroids does not work with the TransSpider. (Technically it is not a Spider Mine, just a Pawn that looks like one.)

If you had asked "will it be possible", I would have responded with "most likely." Spider Steroids will be implemented as an option, with the ability to ride it (or how large it must be) as another option. It might be a bit strange being able to stand on its legs, though.

Alternatively (or in addition to the above), I might make it possible to enter the Spider. Maybe even attach a turret to it (what happens if you recall it while inside it :bulb:.)

Oh, and I think it might be a good idea for me to disable entering vehicles when it gets that large. :haha:

At the moment I'm working on online-compatibility for the TransSpider and another mod I'm working on (they are seperate, it's just easier to test them both at once). The only thing stopping the player from controlling their Spider in a network game, at the moment, is... a small omission. To fix it, I had to insert:
        Code:
        , Spider

There are other issues, though...

Comment

i tried 2 but the game was hella laggy because i dont own a server >.> so i have to run off my home computer

but it worked for me :/

yea.....couldnt find some 1 to get on with me

Comment

i tried 2 but the game was hella laggy because i dont own a server >.> so i have to run off my home computer

but it worked for me :/

yea.....couldnt find some 1 to get on with me
            eh? Laggy for whom?

Running a Listen server and playing on it alone is the same as running an Instant Action game. If anyone else had joined, they wouldn't have been able to activate Spider control mode.

Usually when I run a dedicated server and join it from the same computer (to test network code), performance is almost the same as IA. The main difference is load time (twice as long - once for the server, once for the client.)

Comment

yea...i had to much stuff running when i tried it :/

so how do you make something work online?

Comment

yea...i had to much stuff running when i tried it :/

so how do you make something work online?
                It's... complicated.

In this case the main thing I had to do was "instruct" the server to send the Spider variable to the client, so that they would know to try and start controlling it (rather than just viewing the beacon) when the player presses Q. I also had to "instruct" the client to replicate the ViewSpider function to the server (i.e. tell the server they want to control the spider), but I already had that in place.

What happened before was:
                - player presses Q
                - Spider Launcher can't find the Spider, so
                - it views the TL beacon (doesn't control the Spider)

And now:
                - player presses Q
                - Spider Launcher finds the Spider if there is one (because the server now "replicates" it to the client), so
                - it tells the server the player wants to start controlling the Spider, and
                - the server "transfers the player's conciousness" to the Spider (Possess())

Another issue was that the Spider would try and find the player's location (Instigator.Location) to calculate how fuzzy the camera should be, but Instigator would always be equal to "none" on the client. This would cause a warning or two in the log file every frame, as well as always thinking the player was at the center of the world (x=0, y=0, z=0). That was another easy fix:
                Code:
                bReplicateInstigator=true
                Kudos to anyone who understood all that.

One last thing: usually the only thing a user will have to do to get something working online (if it is at all possible) is to add a ServerPackages= line to the game .ini file. Thankfully, mutators in UT2004 have a nice little feature that lets them get added automatically (no user intervention required).
                Code:
                bAddToServerPackages=true

Comment

ok^^ i understood
                  anyway what you done yet?

Comment

ok^^ i understood
                    anyway what you done yet?
                    Just the network fix.

I'm working on a different project, atm. Per-player vehicle skin preferences, anyone?

Comment

um....interesting

why every 1 multi task there stuff?

anyway homming for more info and another beta^^

Comment

um....interesting

why every 1 multi task there stuff?
                        It's more efficient. For example, it takes a while to load up a dedicated server and client, so I test many of my mods for network issues at a time. It also gets boring working on the same project for too long.

Anyway, when did I say I was multitasking? I said I was working on another project, but I didn't say I was also working on TransSpider.

Changes for beta 1.0:
                        - fixed some network-related issues; controlling the Spider in a network game should now be possible

Go here to get it.

Comment

Hey guys, I just read through this topic, and it gave me an idea. What if you could have an support spider, instead of just being a Transpider. It would be cool to pick up weapons and deliver them to teammates where they can't get ammo (camping spots), or even carry around their translocators.

Just a thought, and it kinda fit the topic. But nice job on the Transpider. can't wait to try it out!

Comment

yea 1 think be fun to do is to make it so when controlling the spider your char can still pick things up

idea here (can be option)
                            1 person mana run!
                            first put char on wing
                            second release the spider
                            third drive the manta with the spider
                            forth fly over the flag
                            fitfh flag capture

Comment

I was thinking more like your teammate is being chased, but he only has an assault rifle. He passes below you, and all of a sudden the enemy has a flak cannon at his face.

Comment

yea so the spiderlock turns into a moving weapon locker :P

interesting

Comment

Working...
                                X