No announcement yet.

Small planets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be quite honest, a bunch of people tried this before (me being one of em) and it simply doesn't work. There is no universal point gravity actor needed to pull this one off.

Comment

what did not work? Was it impossible to let pawn walk (with animation and stuff) on any surface or impossible to make 'spherical' gravity?

Comment

please post a link to download anything that you think could possibly help someone wanting to complete such a project. even if what you did hit a dead end, it might help someone else. if you have a smaller file that is really interesting that you would like me to host, PM me.

Comment

what about the races where you can stop at the middle of a loop and you'll just stay there.
          can't you use that kind of physics and just have the 3rd person be bugged?

Comment

Sorry, been away a few days, things from getting multiple wisdom teeth removed to university money issues.

Reread what I've stated about the Serious Engine gravity. It can be going toward, or away, at any strength, from these type of designs. It can be a single point in 3d space, or a cylinder, or a torus, or rectangular, or absolute, etc... etc....

UE3 still has not shown to have that ability, but unlike the Serious Engine (at least the current one, the one in dev may be easier), UE is actually easy and fun to mod, the SE is... quite the opposite.

Comment

It seems to me that the issue is the "feet/viewdown point this way." If it were possible to just have the engine do that no matter if jumping or standing, I think everything else would be simple.

Comment

Originally posted by OvermindDL
                Reread what I've stated about the Serious Engine gravity. It can be going toward, or away, at any strength, from these type of designs. It can be a single point in 3d space, or a cylinder, or a torus, or rectangular, or absolute, etc... etc....

UE3 still has not shown to have that ability
                Gravity Vortex anyone?

Comment

the gravity vortex didnt rotate your view

Comment

but it does pull you towards itself. If you'd use a vehicle instead of a player, it might work

Comment

Has everyone seen this? I hope he gets it to work. It will make small planets possible.

Comment

I hope that somehow this MOD is possible. I would like to see (if possible) a small planet gravitational pull, such that, when weapons are fired, that the projectiles follow an arc instead of a straight line. However, it would be strange seeing a Lightning Gun or Shock Rifle tracer curving toward the horizon. I wonder if it would be possible to these aspects to be coded into the MOD without having to build yet another game on top of the game engine itself. Since I know nothing about mapping or modding, I wouldn't know where to start. :bulb:

Comment

Only projectile weps would show effects of gravity. others just go in a straight line and would leave orbit.
                          It might be interesting to see a RL arc all the way around and hit you in the back, but that would be a MOD giving the RL gravity effects: launch a rocket in any direction and it either keeps orbiting or falls back into the planet.

Comment

I figure i'll revive this thread now that pospi has released his Independant Gravity Mod

now that its possible, any volunteers

Comment

taht takes care of that but there is still the matter of the illusion. it takes a really really really big sphere to haver it so that no mater when side or part of it your on, you don't feel sideways, or upsided down

in antarctica people are upside down, but they don't feel that way b/c for 1 all the blood is beeing drawn to their feet, and they can't see when the earth curves, it all looks flat

Comment

if we wanted to make a planet the size of the earth, we would just do a flat map. The point is that it is a size where you can tell that there is a horizon that you can reach, ie, "small planets?" This wouldnt be a map that would make you believe that the world is flat...
                                As for the actual scale, I think what we did in the demo was on the small size, perhaps 10 times as big probably more. but making a planet even close to the size of the earth would mean that you would run in one direction for the entire match and not see 1 degree... which is not worth using a full planet...
                                By "small planets" we mean planets that you can interact with the size of it, not that the surface wraps around at a distance you cant reach.

Originally posted by inventor209
                                taht takes care of that but there is still the matter of the illusion. it takes a really really really big sphere to haver it so that no mater when side or part of it your on, you don't feel sideways, or upsided down

in antarctica people are upside down, but they don't feel that way b/c for 1 all the blood is beeing drawn to their feet, and they can't see when the earth curves, it all looks flat
                                Pospi's Link to the Independent Gravity Download

Comment

Working...
                                X