No announcement yet.

Small planets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'd love to see if this can actually be pulled... RIGHT OUTTA RATCHET & CLANK 2!

Comment

Don't know what ratchet and clank is, but if you all are trying for Serious Engine type gravity physics, UT2k4 needs a slight backend reconstruction for that...

Comment

Originally posted by Killer909
        Why do you think that? couldnt there just be a smaller planet with more gravity than normal?
        no, unless you don't care about when, relative to your position on the small planet you feel sideways and you feel upside down.

in order to create the illusion of being perpetually upright, when in fact your upside down or sideways, you need a very very very very very very big sphere.

like with earth. if you go to antarctica, you don't feel upside down, u feel perfectly straight up as if you actually were, but antarctica is on the bottom of the planet so in all actauality you are upside down, but b/c of the enormity of the earth, and the center of gravity, you don't notice this.

to replicate this in a game, is very difficult

Comment

I dont think what we were talking about is creating a planet the scale of earth, or even large enough that the horizon is perfectly level. The initial idea was to make a smaller planet that if you were to run in a straight line you could run all the way around it in a couple minutes. If you use a sphere that is too large than it would not be worth making because the curve would be so slight it would just seem like it was flat, literally. Of course the earth seems to be flat from wherever you are, but that doesnt mean any planet you create has to be of a scale that ignores the upside down problem because of the distance you would have to run to get that far. The point is to be able to run all the way around and with a small planet, the curve is obvious.
          If you are worried about the bsp, you can set that aside for now. You can make spheres using meshes.

Comment

I found a thread where they came up with something like the thing you're discussing.

http://www.ina-community.com/forums/...ghlight=planet

Comment

This simply can't be done in UT2k4 without turning out really weird. Ideas like this have been discussed over and over, wether it were Halo-like maps, miniplanets or surreal walk-everywhere-you-like stuff, it all led to the same conclusion: Don't try it, it won't work! Blame Karma for it.
              Why don't you just wait for UT2k7, Gravity tricks are easy to pull off within Unreal Engine 3. Have you seen the movie of the E3-Physics demolevel? Awesome stuff, sky's the limit there. They even showed that they can change gravity dynamically, by letting a corpse slide around the walls of a small room.
              So, be patient and bring back the topic in 1,5 years or so. (I hope Midway's UT2k7-forum will turn out as productive as this one, once the game's out...)

Edit: Here's the Link to the 4 videos. The gravity features can be seen in the 3rd one: http://www.1up.com/do/download?cId=3138759

Comment

link to movie pls kthx

Comment

Movies, useless; give me sdk for UE3, make something as complete as I can before it is even released.

Comment

being able to change gravity like that is going to make physics a lot better.

Comment

I just saw that, but I still have some... irritants.

It looks like gravity is still an absolute direction. I want SeriousEngine style gravity. Can be toward or away from a point, cylinder, straight, etc.... etc...

Comment

you could use a warp zone so that when you get to the end of the level it would start you out at the beginning... so you kinda get the effect that your walking around a globe.. but i dont know how you could do the whole horizon thing u were talkin about

Comment

spider physics

In another mod they let you walk on walls and ceilings fine, this is in the new MOD that CORPROJECT.com have made. When playing as one of the tiny e-shells you can walk on any surface, also within the map editor you can disable surfaces and areas where you do not want your characters to be able to climb.
                          So yes it is very easy to implement and it works great! Ignore anyone who says otherwise. Your idea for a map is possible, I would suggest you download a copy of the cor mod and join their forums and chat with them. I reckon they will be more than happy to help/share code and give suggestions. Seeing as they have humanoid forms that walk in fps or by pressing f4 the thrid person view. This is exactly what your looking for they used the spider exploit to make it work.

Comment

TheHours: That only works when the world is flat. I can visualize how warp zones could work to create a sphere, but it would require so many warp zones that it wouldnt work very well and there are a lot of limitations when using warp zones.

lexybot: Im waiting for ODL to reply to your post

Comment

Re: spider physics

Originally posted by lexybot
                              In another mod they let you walk on walls and ceilings fine, this is in the new MOD that CORPROJECT.com have made. When playing as one of the tiny e-shells you can walk on any surface, also within the map editor you can disable surfaces and areas where you do not want your characters to be able to climb.
                              So yes it is very easy to implement and it works great! Ignore anyone who says otherwise. Your idea for a map is possible, I would suggest you download a copy of the cor mod and join their forums and chat with them. I reckon they will be more than happy to help/share code and give suggestions. Seeing as they have humanoid forms that walk in fps or by pressing f4 the thrid person view. This is exactly what your looking for they used the spider exploit to make it work.
                              Can you jump when climbing a wall, and do your feet remain pointing toward the wall when you do, and is the jump perpendicular to the wall, and do you land back on the wall? Because that's the issue, not the spider physics.

Comment

ok this would not be that hard to do, you just need to make a pawn that uses and actor (placed in the middle of the sphere) to set its rotation and jumping/falling info from (atm it gets it from its curent phys volume.) i would think it not that hard and would work for any size sphere.

Comment

Working...
                                X