No announcement yet.

Small planets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey thats really cool ODL. I didnt know gravity could be set up perfectly realistically like that.
    Here is an edit that adds a few features, including a skybox, and the planet is bigger. Its a lot easier to orbit it when there isnt any friction I set it to zero.
    You could create some really cool lighting with one side of a planet being dark with street lights etc and the other could be daytime.
    heres the new version 250 KB

Comment

Nice looking.

Forgetting the physics volume (I *hate* extending physics volumes, as there is a low limit of them in a single map) I made a stand alone actor that you can place in (even just 'summon'ing it) and it acts as a gravity source for all actors. Pretty funny to set its gravity high enough and launch a lot of spider mines (since they are a 'projectile' that doesn't disappear in a few seconds) and have em bounce around it Found out something, the targetter (calls in jet, it drops a ton of strong bombs, etc...) the bombs get sucked in well and bounce around, but they always face down... instead of the directions they are going, pretty wierd looking to see. It's packaged as a .u file as that is what I know best.

It's cpu efficient (especially compared to the physics volume) and such like that. Made a subclass that spins around instead throwing you around cyclonish style. Amazing how simple I find such coding... Now wish I could code about a hundred things a night... Too many things to make... too few good modelers/texturers...

Comment

Do you think you could code the walking feature, so that you will always land feet down?

Comment

Oddly enough, this concept is abused to death in Serious Sam custom maps. :P

Comment

as soon as this ability is made it too will probably be abused, but still a few good maps will come of it, i really want this to be made, but i dont think youl be able to do the sphere in bsp, youll have to use static meshs for everything, maybe some good coder can edit the spider physics mod Link for you,

or i think this will work well, combine spider physics with your physics volumes and you should be able to walk and jump, that is if your gravity is enough, or you might just jump off the planet, dunno if when you jump you instant flip back round, if you do then maybe a coder can fix that.

Comment

I could have people walk around using spider mode, but if you jump you instantly return up-right. I *really* don't think you can get exact Serious Sam Style gravity in UT2k4, its just been too perfected in SS...

The fact gravity is so static in UT is irritating...

Comment

Would it include the first person view?

Comment

spider phys allows you to walk around in first person,

Comment

Yep, but *only* while you walk around, second you jump, you instantly flip to being up-right, completely screwing the feel of it... As stated, I have yet to find a way to emulate Serious Engine's gravity in UT2k4...

Comment

it must be possible, maybe you can add some sort of vehicle that can go around the edges, or code it so that jumping is affected with spider physics too,

Comment

Spider physics are hardcoded, I cannot code jumping to work with it in any reasonable manner. If you buy me one of those nice expensive liscenses I'd be happy to try.

Comment

ODL: can you post what you were able to come up with the spider phys so everyone can see the problem? maybe someone will think of a solution

Comment

The spider physics, according to what I've read and my own testing, is nicely hardcoded into the engine, as are all the other physics types. If you jump from walking physics, you switch to falling physics, same with spider, if you jump, you switch to falling. When falling hits ground, you either die or switch to walking. If you switch to spider when your not supposed to (in the air such as), you just kinda float around, not really able to move... Even Atari says its buggy, that is why it was not used...

Comment

yes i ve thought of this idea as well. i aslo know that in oder to make it feel like ur not upside down when u actually are, u would need to script a camera rotation or something, then u would need to make the sphere big enough to make the illusion plausable i would estiamte a sphere about 1024000 in diameter might meet the requitrements of the illusion, but taht would also stress the engine WAAAAAAYYYYY to much and prolly kill even the most powerful system on the market today.

UE3 Mighthave such cababilities but it would be real pain

Comment

Why do you think that? couldnt there just be a smaller planet with more gravity than normal?

Comment

Working...
                                X