Small planets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small planets?

I have been throwing around an idea in the back of my mind for a map that I could create, but probably wont for lack of time. The idea is a small planet, a sphere, that you could walk all the way around. To walk all the way around it might take 1 minute or so, so we are not talking a huge planet. The level's decorations would have to be static meshes, and they would all be pointed as if gravity was aimed towards the center of the mini-planet. I have thought up a way to make gravity pull towards the center, so a player wouldnt just fall off the edge, but the problem I havent figured a way around is how to make a player's feet always touch the surface. Meaning, if you walked all the way around the planet, you would always be pulled towards the center, and your viewpoint would always show the horizon correctly.

ideas? opinions? feel free to steal this idea!

People have tried doing this many times. Look through the past few pages and I'm sure you'll see this idea there. It's very difficult to do if you also want to incorporate weapon projectiles also going towards the center, because there are mutators that have the "spider" cheat where you can walk on walls, which could be used here, I'm assuming if you want all hitscan and no jumping :P

[Edit]: 4 Misspellings. What are you doing to me, internet?!

Comment

That´d be nice, but maybe rather just make a flat surface and blocking volumes/mountains/whatever to keep you from seeing the edge?

And make it CTF, and each base has 2 - 3 airlocks, makes things more interesting, red/blue waiting in front of the airlock door to kill the invasion team.

Comment

Meroin: I dont think I will have a problem with gravity. I have a good idea of how to do that. I just dont know how to keep feet aimed down at all times. I'm positive that there would be a problem with going to the opposite side of the planet and then your head is the only thing in contact with the ground. Lets say we have a volume that accelerated a player and all objects into the z direction, as if up was down and down was up, inside a small closed room. The player would float to the ceiling (the new floor) head first and come to a rest with the top of their head touching the ceiling. Is there any way to change this so that half way up, the feet aim towards the new-floor? Thats the only problem I see. I didnt know this idea had ever been considered. Do you know of any related threads?

Bjossi: the point is not to use flat surfaces. the entire thing is a sphere. You shouldnt be able to fall off any edge. As for gameplay, this is independent of gameplay. If I were to create this, It would be without gameplay... just the planet, the special gravity, and the feet-always-aim-towards-the-ground effect.

Comment

Wackey Idea you got going their Killer909:up:

Comment

The gravity can be done easily enough with physics volumes. It's the feet-pointing-at-center-of-sphere issue that's the problem.

One possibility is using warp zones to warp the ground into appearing like a sphere so that gravity always points down and feet always point down. This, however, has many problems. You can only have 64 zones, and that limits how "detailed" your "gravitational field" thing can be. Secondly, warp zones don't allow hitscan weapons to fire through them.

A second possibility: you could try coding what Meroin said, basing your code on the "Spider" form of movement.

"I didnt know this idea had ever been considered."

It's not exactly a *new* idea. I can't point you to any threads (too lazy to look ) but I assure you that this idea has come up many times.

I haven't seen any successful executions, however.

Comment

would it turn the viewpoint 90 degrees when walking on a wall? I dont just want a player to appear as being upside down in 3rd person view, I want them to actually view everything as flipped so that a ceiling would appear to be a floor.

Warp zones wouldnt be able to create the desired effect. And even if they could, the glitchy effect would probably be really obvious when walking through more than one warp zone every second

Comment

WTF is with that guy in the pic?

Comment

He is walking on the ceiling. must be those new adidas.

Comment

Heh, I've tried similier things, but I've deduced that:

A) UT2k4 is not capable of this
                    B) Serious Engine is capable of this, exceedingly well actually
                    C) Serious Engine is a B** to mod...
                    D) So back to UT2k4 for modding abilities, but just can't do anything with graivty like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer909
                      would it turn the viewpoint 90 degrees when walking on a wall? I dont just want a player to appear as being upside down in 3rd person view, I want them to actually view everything as flipped so that a ceiling would appear to be a floor.

Warp zones wouldnt be able to create the desired effect. And even if they could, the glitchy effect would probably be really obvious when walking through more than one warp zone every second
                      Warpzones would make it appear that the viewport is rotating. Yes, it would be very glitchy.

And as far as I know, you can't rotate the viewport 90 degrees without coding. Nor the player model. Warp zones, however, would give the illusion that the player model & viewport were rotating. But again, very glitchy.

::EDIT::
                      And Overmind, isn't it possible to rotate the viewport/model? I think I've seen it before, but I forgot what mods they were :sour:

Maybe monkey matrix moves? :/

Comment

gravity is the easy part. rotating the view is the hard part.
                        here is a sample of directional gravity... 56 KB.
                        click here to download
                        and that only took 10 minutes. Bigger planets would have more gravity and the directions would be a lot better too. this is just a sample. you can try shooting goo, 'nades, etc and see them orbit a little. feel free to modify and repost.

Comment

Heh, that works, but try one of the Serious Engine gravity level demo's and you'll see a difference :P

I may not know a perfect way to do it with people, but with spacecraft and such, planetary and system gravity works well for me.

Comment

Well, I attempted to fudge my method into a test map, gave it up as my method used a whole ton of custom classes; so I made a new method which is not at all clean or pretty. I edited your map and let me warn you: *THIS IS MY FIRST MAP, edit or anything*.
                            I am a coder, not a mapper Jim!
                            Needless to say, I couldn't get the sphere to be walkable, techinically if you touch it you die, don't ask me, I don't map.

Big cube room (about all I knew how to make), you start out in a smaller room, walk into bigger room and play dodge the big sphere in center of room.

I used a physics volume and a lot of ugly cpu intensive coding, but I just whipped it together, let me warn you, DO NOT use that code, if you really want a good method I can properly convert my method and make a class for you. This is better for ships with planets, sun, etc, so you can orbit the sphere if you are good since you aren't exactly allowed to walk on it (can anyone fix that for me?).

The physics volume doesn't fill the whole room, if you hug the edge and duck, you can walk underneath it. I got it once into a perfect orbit, didn't have to adjust course, lasted a good 45 seconds, then I exited. Have fun...

Note, if anyone makes it so you can walk on the sphere, I'll add something to let you actually walk around it if you want...

EDIT: Would be good to post link, in case anyone sees this in the two minutes I forgot...

Map linky

Also, I've never embedded new classes in a map before, I like .u files, so hopefully I did it right...

Comment

One thing you might be able to do for that sphere is put a blocking volume around it in the shape of the sphere.

Comment

Working...
                              X