Mutator Idea - Advanced Armors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mutator Idea - Advanced Armors

I´ve always been wondering if the shield is alittle bit strange in the tournament, so I was thinking if it´d be possible to remove the shields and instead add many kinds of armors.

For example.
    Kevlar Armor: Made of Kevlar.
    Protects you against bullets.

Energy Armor: Just a simple armor, but between the outside and inside metal layer, there are tiny generators that generate forcefield inside the armor.
    Protects you against energy based attacks.

Explosives Armor: This one is made of special chemicals that can protect you against explosives, but it´s protect-ness decreases fast. Because of it´s strength, it´s also very protective against bullet weapons.
    Protects you against explosives.
    Protects you against bullets.

Here´s how my idea works. Armors start with a percentage, let´s say explosives armor has 60% against explosives and 80% against bullets.

But these percentages lower when you get shot, the armor´s shape gets worse. Maybe after 3 rockets, the armor is in horrible shape, 18% against bullet weapons and no protection against explosives.

I know the game has the name Unreal Tournament, but I still like alittle more strategy when you want to get protection from your enemies.

This is probably very complex to code, but might be possible.

And to know what kind of armor you have, maybe have special hit decals. Like when you hit your enemy with a shock rifle when he wears an energy armor, a tiny blue shockwave appears where the wearer was hit, meaning that the armor took alot of the damage.

And for bullet weapons, add a shiny flash, or smoke particles, when you hit a kevlar armor with a minigun. Take the hit particle from Painkiller´s chaingun for example, when you hit walls or ceiling.

And perhaps, even add the armor´s model around the player so you can see that he/she wears an armor.

I think this would be a nice addition to the tournament. And add some strategy to deathmatch. Remove shields and just make the armors spawn around randomly around the map.

And you can change everything in the config, each armor´s protectiveness, shape degration speed, spawn rate, max amount of each armor at once in a map etc. etc. etc.

I hope someone likes this idea.

im the first but hopefully not the only person who appreciates this idea. i hope you or someone else makes it, cause UT2004 could use a bit more strategy

Comment

I love it.
      Could somebody please make it?

Comment

Sounds like a good idea! I'm thinking about a more complex armor system too.

Comment

Red Orchestra has pretty interesting damage/armor system, I understand.

Problem with adding such systems to regular UT is that it's very hard for the code to tell what's causing damage. The coder can only check for weapons he knows about. So I could see if my tank was being shot by shock beams, minigun bullets or Raptor plasma. However, if Joe Shmoe releases his superzarkrifle tomorrow and someone shoots my tank with it, the code would not be able to tell what was hitting the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx
            Red Orchestra has pretty interesting damage/armor system, I understand.

Problem with adding such systems to regular UT is that it's very hard for the code to tell what's causing damage. The coder can only check for weapons he knows about. So I could see if my tank was being shot by shock beams, minigun bullets or Raptor plasma. However, if Joe Shmoe releases his superzarkrifle tomorrow and someone shoots my tank with it, the code would not be able to tell what was hitting the tank.
            But you forgot the code is able to check Bullethits (like minigun or assaultrifle fire), Instanthits( like beams or similar) or projectiles!!

Comment

Ah, yes, bBulletHit! Unfortunately, the rest of the DamageType properties aren't that useful. You'd not be able to tell the difference between a rocket and an energy projectile without checking for a list of specific weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Daigotsu
                I love it.
                Could somebody please make it?
                +1

That would so go on my funning server.

Comment

The problem with this idea is that it's a MASSIVE coding effort. But what makes it IMPOSSIBLE is the "see what armor someone's wearing" thing.

After all, how are you going to make a single armor mesh that's going to fit just as right on a Juggernaut as well as Sapphire ? Not to mention the baJILLION custom models out there, some with more outlandish shapes and proportions than all the others ?

Not Gonna Happen.

Comment

How bout haveing a symbol above someones head to know what there wearing, like a purple sircle for the energy shield, or a gold bullet shaped one for the kevlar armor.

I love the idea I hope someone can code it.

Comment

Bjossi: You're talking about a system similar to what QWTF used?

Comment

Perhaps, I have never heard of QWTF, I just thought of this idea myself.

@Mr. Crow: Then simply take that feature off the checklist in my post, it wasn´t very important anyways.

Btw, I didn´t expect this thread to come alive after the time I posted this, maybe my sig is the reason.
                        This needs alot of coding work, I know that, but it is still doable, at least the main ideas.

Comment

Wow, that sounds fantastic. I think it'd be cool to also have each player be able to change their own armor's statistics, in a give-and-get sort of fashion. In example, Bjossi wants his explosives armor to be more protective against explosions, so he ups the armor's explosion protection to 115%, and bullet protection in downgraded to 85%, or vice versa. Just a thought

Comment

Also have armor have a weight. like lets say your using old fashion steel plate with massive bullet, and explosive resistance. Your character should start moveing realy slow. The have a material like mithral (sorry if I misspeled it) which is durable and very light. And mabey to tell what armor each person has if possible the texture of the material somehow coded to wrap around the torso through a joint. This sounds like a awsome idea especially if your using ballistic wepons mod it would make the game like CT but with respawn It would realy realy realy add strategy.:up: :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Bjossi
                              Perhaps, I have never heard of QWTF, I just thought of this idea myself.
                              QWTF = The original Team Fortress for Quake, the idea works well when paired with classes.

Comment

Working...
                              X