• Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-UCMP-Xanadu Single Release

Name: DM-UCMP-Xanadu
    Version: 1.00
    Compatibility: UT2k4
    Description:
    The trees gently sway in the breeze. The lanterns and their shadows slowly swing. The fireflies are out and the leaves are falling. What path will you follow in this Xanadu dream? Glory, or the gentle rocking of your dead body in the stream?
    Inspired by the Smauel Taylor Coleridge 'Kubla Khan'
    read the poem here: Kubla Khan

Feedback is always appreciated. Positive or negative.

A medium/large DM map. Weapons may be hard toi find at first but if you give the map a chance, layout memorization comes easy and learning the layout will greatly enhance your experience. This map is eyecandy > gameplay. I realized this well after development started so I had to make a choice to almost start from scratch or continue on. I chose to continue on. The framerates are certainly not retail-quality but turning world detail down will help. There's some good gameplay up on the roof. Please pay attention to all the moving parts - the falling leaves, the swaying lanterns, the moving shadows from the lanterns, the swaying doors, and the lightning bugs. I hope you enjoy.

147 movers
    300 emitters
    722 Blocking Volumes
    2363 static meshes
    custom meshes in mylevel
    custom textures in mylevel
    custom music
    optimization: priceless

Credits: Too many to list here, please see readme. Of special note are Virax, Blitz, and the UCMP team.

Homepage: AVLD

Download:

NaliCity: DM-UCMP-Xanadu

UnrealPlayground: DM-UCMP-Xanadu

Wow! I didn't have this map yet, and it looks awesome in the screenies!!
    j/k of course, you all single map downloading people should see this beauty, it's a piece of art, and I'm glad I could help AV where neccessary. Start downloading already!

Comment

...took my breath away...
      epic, look out

Comment

I just love this map soooo very much ... but there is a slight framerate issue and AV you need to improve those water textures ... still this is a beauty!! :up: :up:

Comment

Thanks for your kind words Anuban. Yes, there is a framerate issue, but it was a concious decision to release with this FPS. I would have had to let some of the beauty go in order to improve it and we chose to let it go as is.

Water textures - hmmm. Interesting. I'll keep that in mind next time I go shopping for a water texture. Thank you.

Again, thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it.

Cheers!

-AV

Comment

looking good my man, only gripe is the half moon angle i've never seen any moon like that before, unless its on da ****! . I would have rotated it 90 degrees. Apart from that mate nice:up:

MsM

Comment

Beautiful map, I adore it.

Btw, you have some zfighting in the room with the samurai statue:

[screenshot]http://img112.echo.cx/img112/6208/zfighting4xw.jpg[/screenshot]

Comment

Thanks for the support!

The moon - well, it's based on a poem that's based on a dream. So I tried to use some artistic liscense - particularly with the skybox.

Z-Axis - for anyone who's actually playing this, there is an added z-axis aspect in the samurai room. You can jump from the stairs, into the statue's arms, and then jump again onto its head. If you successfully reach its head, there's a jumppad there which will boost you up to the second floor. Double-jumping does work, dodge-jumping works better, and bots at higher skill levels will use this.

Enjoy!

Comment

by zfighting i think nicolaz means the texture flickering when two objects compete for the same space.

Comment

Ah, thank you for the clarification.

And thanks for pointing that out, Nicholaz. I'll watch my alignments a little more next time.

Comment

I know you read what I said on Moon's thread ... we're still best buds right? You know how much I dig your work and I am always giving you props! :up: Remember when you first came on the scene I was right there saying how good of a level designer you would become.

Comment

Don't worry about it - I'm not offended at all. I actually consider Bloodrun to be the best DM map in the pack and Xanadu is possibly the worst in the pack. It has the worst gameplay of all the maps but the visuals make up for some of that. Some - not all by far. After all, we're supposed to be about gameplay > eyecandy. Plus there's the FPS issue.

Don't be concerned about an honest comment/critique insulting me. As I posted, I look for positive AND negative feedback. This way I get a better idea of what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.

I'm just glad you liked it that much.

Thank you for your honesty.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcadiaVincen
                          Don't worry about it - I'm not offended at all. I actually consider Bloodrun to be the best DM map in the pack and Xanadu is possibly the worst in the pack. It has the worst gameplay of all the maps but the visuals make up for some of that. Some - not all by far. After all, we're supposed to be about gameplay > eyecandy. Plus there's the FPS issue.

Don't be concerned about an honest comment/critique insulting me. As I posted, I look for positive AND negative feedback. This way I get a better idea of what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.

I'm just glad you liked it that much.

Thank you for your honesty.
                          Please Stop that!! ... it is not the worst by a long shot ... I stand by my statement that is the second best DM map ... tied with Immortalis. Even with that one gameplay issue (only one btw) it is just magnificent! Be quiet and take the compliment like a man, **** it. :haha: :up: :up:

Comment

At the UCMP, we love all of our children equally.....

Comment

Originally posted by thinkingfeller
                              At the UCMP, we love all of our children equally.....

I didn't mean to leave you out BIOS my man! I love your work! C'mon you that ... but which one did you do ... I didn't think you made it into this release ... oops let me go back and check.

Comment

Working...
                              X