X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ONS-Echo [Release 102]

Name: ONS-Echo
    Version: 102 [Release]
    Compatibility: UT2004 (ECE and non-ECE versions included)
    Description: Outdoors / foggy steep mountains setup
    Comments: First map I release publicly... Probably too much fog and steep mountains for most people but I kind of like it like that. Bots play this map very well, a lot of time spent on AI. This map went through a lot of beta versions, while it is bug free as far as I can tell, let me know if you find any problem.
    Screenshot:

Credits:
    slinky_ut@hotmail.com
    static meshes / textures from the standard maps set
    Download:
    http://www.ludicatif.com/ut2004/ons-...S-Echo-102.zip

I installed the map on my clan's server... We do not play much onslaught but you can load it up through map vote.
    ut2004://63.209.37.12:7777

That looks very nice indeed.

Comment

downloading this , looks great :up:

Comment

WooT

Looks great!

Comment

I just played it one time and I really like it. I like the layout, the bridge, the tunnel, nothing was too steep for me. I'll play it again so if I see anything I would post, but I really like it as it is.

Only thing I noticed was the waterfall's ambient sound was a little loud. I could hear it from the red or blue base and basically everywhere far away from it. If that is insects they seem loud but it seemed like the waterfall as I finally came to it. I do like the waterfall though and the water looks great :up: . Just either it's sound or maybe there are insects, but something is constantly loud just a little.

Everything else is great.

Some people might say that tunnel needs details inside but I got into a 2 tank one paladin and then a manta battle in there (all at the same time) and the room helps to navigate a fight like that. It's fun in there.

Comment

I've suggested this map on the Titan Internet 32player server forums [link], one of the admins seems to like it so you might soon see your map on the best ONS server in the world

Comment

Finally some feedback... While the map was posted on the beta forum long ago, I did not get a lot of feedback and worked on fixes / improvements based on feedback I got from pubs players. Kind of makes me wonder why the beta forum exists if the real feedback you get is when you release it.

Anyway, for what its worth, I can make a few changes / fixes... Not sure what the problem is with ambient sound, seemed fine here. I read on that other forum about the 'obvious map exploit'... maybe I don't play ONS enough but could someone please give me a hint on what the problem is?

Comment

I can check for the exploit and maybe I just play with my sound up too high. Just I could hear that waterfall from the base start. You might be able to get under your map or up on top of something and camp easily. I have to check. I never really try to exploit on maps I tend to make sure people see me coming before I kill them. Wish someone made a mutator that turned on a big bright red arrow pointing down at me that could be trackable through meshes/walls, just to draw attention in fights. Yeah someone needs to make that.

Anyway, let me go see if I can get stuck under your map or somewhere else. I thought from playing it several times last night to be one of the most fun ons maps. Lots of nice places to fight.

Comment

I have fixed that exploit in the update I am working on. I won't comment on it as it affects all maps using that feature.

Comment

I reviewed this nice map on mapraider.com.

Link:
                    http://www.mapraider.com/reviews/?id=134

Comment

Thanks Owoc, I am about done with the rework to support 32 players servers better, revision 101 should help take the load off servers. I implemented the suggestions I got and added some features. You will see that some of those changes cover elements you covered in that review. Overall:

-Added vehicles elevators to the center node.
                      -Added vehicles elevators to node #1.
                      -Biggest problem was to get the bots to use the elevators 1/2 decently. They are not perfect but do make it regularly, still optimizing this.
                      -Removed a lot of the standalone pickups to lower channel usage.
                      -Removed / repositioned some playerstart and pickups for better flow.
                      -Added Avril or Shock to each spawn point lockers to avoid travelling to get your Avril on some nodes.
                      -Removed 25 ghost antiportals: they did not show in the editor but if you did a select all antiportals, you would get 45 total. :/ ?
                      -Added hidden BSP along with antiportals for server rendering optimization.
                      -Opened a wall to the center node to make 1 more route.
                      -Fixed IonCannonKillVolume exploit by implementing a PainIonCannonKillVolume class that forces pain to players and vehicles.
                      -Adjusted several ambient sound volumes.

I am still play testing with bots this revision before I post it, I hope it will play better on servers with loads of players.

Owoc, about that misplaced antiportal can you be specific at where it is? I never noticed that... I want to fix it before I post revision 101.

Comment

Originally posted by slinky

Owoc, about that misplaced antiportal can you be specific at where it is? I never noticed that... I want to fix it before I post revision 101.
                        You've got a PM in the Titan Internet forum

Comment

i like the fog mate, think it fits well with the theme and makes a better atomsphere. Not kene on the steepness of the hills/mountains, some ar enearly vertical they could have bene a little less steep. Looks like the grand caynon or something from the same area etc.

MsM

Comment

Nice Mappage!

Comment

OK, took more time than expected... This is release 101 and it takes into account all the feedback I got. I made a lot more changes than I initially anticipated. I hope people like this new version, I think it is a big improvement.

http://www.ftpclan.com/other/echo/ONS-Echo-101.zip

This is the overall list of changes, there are many more:

-Improved support for large servers, optimization was made to take into account problems specific to 32 players servers.
                              -Fixed IonCannonKillVolume exploit by implementing a custom PainIonCannonKillVolume class that forces pain to players and vehicles.
                              -Fixed SPMA bug, map was moved to an area completely above the (0,0,0) point to make it possible to use the map on non-3355 servers.
                              -Added vehicles elevators to center node from standalone node.
                              -Added vehicles elevators to node #1 from standalone node.
                              -Added vehicles elevators to center node from waterfall.
                              -Added blocked paths to make sure that bots do not try to use the elevators at same time. The AI is not perfect but its the best I could come up with given what it available.
                              -Opened side cliffs to the center node to make 1 more route from standalone node.
                              -Removed most standalone pickups to lower channels usage.
                              -Removed / repositioned some playerstart and pickups for better flow.
                              -Added Avril or Shock to each spawn point lockers to avoid travelling to get your Avril on some nodes.
                              -Added more grenades and less spider mines. Mines are only available through specially placed weapons lockers that are not on default routes.
                              -Removed 25 ghost antiportals: they did not show in the editor but if you did a select all antiportals, you would get 45 total. :/ ?
                              -Implemented new antiportals, client side performance improved.
                              -Implemented hidden BSP combined to the antiportal to help server occlusion.
                              -New basic collisions to all vegetation, optimized collisions to avoid material collision on most meshes. (for improved performance)
                              -Changed vehicles placement to lower total tank count and to make it less easy to attack core and node with tanks.
                              -Node 1 tank replaced by hellbender.
                              -Paladin in center node replaced by a tank
                              -Hellbender in corner node replaced by a paladin.
                              -New default link setup to make it possible to cut enemy attack link and power down nodes.
                              -Added more coverage to left primary node: rocks and vegetation make it tougher to spam the area with tanks when a team is trying to get back control of that node.
                              -Tunnel rebuilt with custom static meshes.
                              -New tunnel room which holds a random teleporter to some nice areas.
                              -Base spawn rooms rebuilt with custom static meshes.
                              -Increased cover of the core to make air attacks more difficult.
                              -Added a turret to the back of the bases.
                              -Added blocking volumes and fear spots to some areas to try to avoid having bots getting caught while driving the SPMA.
                              -Numerous road / flying / walk path nodes adjustments.
                              -Jumppads adjusted to get 0 damage when used properly.
                              -Added jumppad to standalone node from base. (players can normally just teleport there).
                              -Adjusted several ambient sound volumes.
                              -Reduced overall file size by 2.5 MB. (19MB to 16.5MB)

Comment

Working...
                              X