Clear All

Originally posted by Angelh@rt
    you have to be very clever to run with the deer and hunt with the hounds
    You must find the Jade Monkey before the next full moon. :weird:

Comment

actualy no, what I mean to say is , well no, but maybe, hum

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
        I'm just compensating for the inevitable pages of "OMFG L33EEET MAP!!!!!11" posts that follow any halfway decent mapper's thread. The opposite of your statement is true as well, some people only point out the good and either ignore the bad or are too afraid to post it for fear of getting flamed. That doesn't help anyone.
        Compensation is not needed if you just voice your own, honest opinion
        Critique is often viewed on a per post basis, not per thread.

@Virax: I think you shouldn't look at what you say, because that all pretty much rings true.
        Just have a look at HOW you say it. The best of advices fall to deaf ears if it's put rudely/defiantly etc.

I'm not saying that anybody should change their behaviour, just handing out some friendly advice.
        It all boils down to proper people interaction really.

Comment

Notorious has it, PPI is what we need. Its not what you say, its the way that you say it. Wish I was better at it.

Comment

I think this is a great map, but I don't think this is Hourences best work.

Comment

the map is great. sure fps is low, but thats my comps fault. and well mine for keeping everything on high . people who ***** about ****ty fps, dont blame the mapper for your bad computers. quite frankly, i would like to see everybody who has complained do better because i can tell you something, it aint happening.

Comment

Originally posted by {MM}Juggalo_kyl
                the map is great. sure fps is low, but thats my comps fault. and well mine for keeping everything on high . people who ***** about ****ty fps, dont blame the mapper for your bad computers. quite frankly, i would like to see everybody who has complained do better because i can tell you something, it aint happening.
                I doubt you'll find many, if anyone, that can do a better job at capturing the industrial style and ambience or feel that Hourences is capable of doing in a map. This map screams 'play me!', imo, and has more creativity and energy than I've ever seen in a map. I for one hope that we see many more maps from Hourences, and would hate for him to withdraw based on the few minor criticisms on this one map. As with any map, you'll have some who love it and some who'll gripe about it.

Having said that, I don't think, however, we should refrain from posting our personal opinions and comments on what we like or dislike. Nothing in the above posts that I read or wrote seems as if it was intended as personal or biased toward the mapper. These are all things that any mapper would and should expect to see as constructive criticism. Maybe not all of it is accurate, and those things can and should be refuted.

My last post in this thread. Keep up the good work and keep raising that bar Hourences!!:up:

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
                  You must find the Jade Monkey before the next full moon. :weird:
                  The simpsons?

Map looks good. Will download later...already got a few things downloading

Comment

havent dl'ed this one yet, but I will say this...

When you title a thread as someones masterpiece, you should expect to see flack (pun) follow shortly.

Secondly, there is always (and there are very few exceptions here) a conflict between players who really care about not much other than having a good environment to kill in, and the designer who wants his /her artistic vision to go into a map. They are 2 different things most times (hence, the ability to turn off foliage and other environmental effects). People who certainly have the PC-power to leave these things on often disable them anyhow, as they impede what the main goal is.

In any case, for the designer to gripe about people critiqueing his work is somewhat childish. Everyone who spends time making maps knows how much effort it is, and everyone gets critiqued. Its part and parcel of it.

Comment

Thing is when ever a map by top level designers come out and criticized they are always criticized a lot harsher than obviously substandard maps. This to me makes no sense.
                      People expect more out of a map that's made by a professional level designer. It's criticized harsher because people want to make sure it can live up to their expectations, so the flaws in the map are worked out right away and it doesn't happen again. "Substandard" mappers don't know any better so criticism is usually very thoughful - the mapper is usually a newbie and should be treated nicely since you don't want to them away from the mapping community.

Comment

It can be really frustrating to listen bunch of deadheads with sh*t for brains giving “advices” to someone who knows more than those retards can even imagine. I’m not saying negative feedback is unwelcome. On the contrary, I encourage it. Otherwise, how would you know what’s actually wrong with you map, mod or whatever you’re working on?
                        I read Hourences rant and while I actually don’t see why he has to feel bad about few personal opinions, I don’t think anybody should moan about his attitude. After all we’re all humans and as such quite imperfect.
                        Don’t get me wrong - I don’t think that anyone here acted like complete crackpot. I just have trouble understanding why we are talking about the way Hourences took criticism?

Comment

I have to admit that since 2K4 came out Ive been pretty much an ONS addict although I used to love the other game types in UT99 & 2K3, however this map is really really good imho.

Sure theres going to be prople who look at it / play it and see things they would like different but then we're a diverse species and not everyone's the same (thank God). You cant please everyone!

I used to have a badge when I was a nipper that went "Confucious says: you can please some of the people some of the time and that aint bad"

Personally, people who put so much of themselves into making maps such as these deserve congratulations and our gratitude. If people think they can do any better then go on and do it instead of criticising so much.

Comment

Yeah, reading the rant....I can see where Hourences is coming from. I am not near the good mapper he is (and probably never will be) but I can relate to being frustrated when I get comments I don't like to hear. But it's too bad that we won't see more of him for a while. I can tell it's frustrating right now, and personally, I found nothing wrong with the map. I'm grateful to have great games where I can play on maps made by a master like himself, and I'm really sorry to see him like this.

Comment

I really do not think he will leave. I have tried to leave this community countless times and it pulls me back in. No joke, I have said it to many level designer buds and it never seems to happen, though it is a totally different reason. Hourences has too much of a passion for this stuff you can see it in his maps.

A good hiatus is always good though

Comment

It seems to me that Hourences has a passion for making art with his maps, much like Angelheart. As long as the Unreal engine stays at the top in this aspect, my guess is that he'll stay with the community. And honestly, taking the quality of the HL2 and DOOM3 editors into consideration, I don't see him going anywhere.

Pariah, maybe... but who am I to speculate about his future?

Comment

Working...
                                X