DM-ShieldGun101

Name: DM-ShieldGun101
    Version: FINAL
    Compatibility: UT2K4
    Description: A practice arena for shield jump techniques
    Download: Here

Usage Tips

- killbots in the console will clear map of any pesky bots
    - demoplay x in the console (where X is the file name) will play the four demos included with the map (shield1, shield2, etc).
    - F4 will enable a third-person view; often helpful for getting a proper sense of scale during demos
    - 'allammo' in console is extremely useful when practicing goo hops

First person to provide a (legitimate!) demo of attaining map summit is undeniably l33t.

Hey thanks, I needed this...

Comment

For a legitimate demo, can I turn God on, so I don't have to deal with the issue of health? Or does that de-legitimate-ize it? :P

Comment

Trust me, there's plenty of health. Nothing stopping you from practicing the run with God on, though.

Comment

Yes, I'd like to see somebody make it to the adrenaline. :haha:

Comment

VeC Site

Added this nice map to the VeC Site so you can rate, search, and download some more maps, mutators, mods, utils, if you register You can also add your clan homepage or any other links that has to do with UT, UT2K3, UT2K4

Comment

this map is cool. it helped me alot with my shieldjumps, the demos aswell ^^
              ty

Comment

very nice map :up:

Comment

I'll probably d/l this beast after my brother gets off our computer with UT on it. I could use Shield Gun jumping practice :P.

Comment

Nice work! Except for the stuff you left out...
                    The two different shield bounces using the dodge jump are also quite usefull.
                    If you dodge, bounce yourself back to increase your speed, then at the height of that, jump. This gives you the longest distance with the greatest speed... fully charged it's possibly the fastest way to travel (excluding adrenaline speed + this).

If you dodge, bounce and jump at the same time, you get good distance and good height.

Note: remember to keep holding the direction you want to go, if you get spun about you'll lose some velocity.. and oh yea, make sure it's a strafing dodge jump... since they're inherently faster and longer.

I haven't played with it much.. but these can also be done somewhat with goop, it's just more difficult to time exactly enough so you're over your goop pile when you dodge jump...

P.S. Does combining goop and shield jumps simultaneously increase height even more? sure it takes over 100 health and is therefore pointless but I'm still curious.

Comment

See, that's what I love about the shield gun: I'm still learning stuff about it. Gave that dodge+shield technique a try in some standard maps and was able to traverse FaceClassic in two hops and go from the Citadel tower to minigun entrance in one. Gotta be well fortified, though!

No idea about the simultaneous goo/shield thing, but I reckon it sounds like a quick way to end yourself. Then again, scaling 2000+ UU surfaces ain't exactly practical, either.

Comment

I agree ..! I didn't get it for a couple mins but I learned something new finishing the map~

Yes, I'd like to see somebody make it to the adrenaline.
                        You can just jump around that big wall... its not cheap, you're supposed to do it that way =P

Comment

Alright -- I'm about to get started on the second release of this map. I intend to include:

- More instructional demos. One covering high-speed/distance CTF boosts and the other covering -- you guessed it -- how to reach the summit

- Long-jump-style practice area for honing CTF boosts

- A 'quick tap' obstacle for practicing 20 pt jumps quickly and on the fly

- More difficult summit obstacle

- A pile of demos covering shield tricks and techs for popular CTF maps, both Epic and custom.

I mention this because I'd like to pick your brains and see if there's anything else you might want to see included or felt is lacking in the current release.

Comment

i can't seem to get the demos to work, it's says i don't have the packets that i need, little help??

Comment

Cant wait to try this at home, nice job.

N*Sabo, look on the bottom of the video, it will say what files your missing to play the demo. D/L those files and you should be able to play them.

Comment

Working...
                              X