Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Xyx
    I think something's lost on me... You say you want people to fight over the island, but you give the backdoor route the highest strategic importance. While the backdoor will be fought over heavily, the island will be grabbed because nobody else did it.

Suppose you'd mix it around a little bit and gave the backdoor a lesser strategic importance... it would still get used, because hey, it's a node, it spawns vehicles and it's there for the taking. However, with pressure now off the backdoor, all eyes would turn to the island. That is what you intend, right?
    Actually I think you are right that the "back door" node wasn't executed as well as it could have been. If I ever go back to the map and look to make some kind of a revision then it's probably something I would tweak.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think something's lost on me... You say you want people to fight over the island, but you give the backdoor route the highest strategic importance. While the backdoor will be fought over heavily, the island will be grabbed because nobody else did it.

Suppose you'd mix it around a little bit and gave the backdoor a lesser strategic importance... it would still get used, because hey, it's a node, it spawns vehicles and it's there for the taking. However, with pressure now off the backdoor, all eyes would turn to the island. That is what you intend, right?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    two thumbs up to this map :up: :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    But that's actually all intentional. The island node holds two Raptors, so it's a really quite powerful node to hold. It's a whole idea of risk versus reward.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The island node is pretty much irrelevant with the current setup. The node to the left offers a much faster path to victory. Once the enemy is cut off at their base, the island node and adjacent nodes are for the taking.

Suppose Red goes for the island and Blue goes around the other way. Red builds the island and maybe even the node after that, but then gets cut off by Blue. While Red scrambles to get their first node back, Blue easily takes over the other nodes and asserts dominance.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for your feedback.

The alternative pathnode setup was the original one during development, but as I tested it more I got sick of it. I wanted to make a node setup with a choke point right at the end, where the balance of power lay with the island node, and that is the intention of the default setup.

I've taken note of what you've said about the over smoothness of the terrain. Smoothness was a design choice, it's a barren island isolated in the middle of some alien sea after all, but more rugged terrain can look nicer. Frostbite's terrain is superlative.

Look for me taking into account this feedback in my next big project: AS-Miranda

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Downloading now.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    :up::
    • Cool concept.
    • Great terrain layout. Lots of ups and downs and bends.
    • Excellent Alternative node link setup.
    Subject to improvement:
    • Beach texture. Cool texture, but not when checkered across a large area.
    • Hills look like typical quick & dirty UEd hills, not real hills. Part of the reason it looks bare even though you used decoration is that it's so smooth. You might want to check out the Torlan/Dawn/Frostbite hills for some terrain that appears more natural.
    • The Default node link setup is nasty. First team to frag the other team's base node is almost guaranteed a gruellingly slow win. If a team does not spend 90% of their effort holding that little node by the sea out of the others' hands, they get owned. The Alternative node link setup is much better.
    • I didn't see any Hellbenders, but there were quite a lot of Goliaths and Raptors.
    You're definitely on the right track!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looks nice. Too bare, though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice map, good looking and playable.
    The sand dunes texture is a bit weird however, especially if seen from a Raptor.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    awesome looking map! downloading...

Leave a comment:

• started a topic ONS-Calliope

ONS-Calliope

Name: ONS-Calliope / The Calliope Archipelago
    Version: 1.0
    Compatibility: UT2004, best played with the most recent patch
    Description: Under the watchful gaze of a distant planet, the beach is riddled with intense warfare though the waters remain calm.
    Comments: Features Manta over water action with bot support and about four power node setups, some custom meshes and textures.
    Screenshot:

Credits: Text file
    Homepage: http://theseus314.gibbering.net
    Download: ONS-Calliope

Alternative
Working...
X