No announcement yet.

ONS-Ranger FINAL released! [download][pics]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the layout and the overall appearance. I think the Power Core bases could use a little work, they feel like too much low-detail BSP, and the arch meshes are all stretched and weird. Consider a custom mesh in place of those arches, so it doesn't look disproporionate. However, I really like what you've done with the center node, very creative. Reminds me fondly of DOM-Sesmar from UT99. Overall flow seems pretty good, and I like the high areas in the mountains, where you've got stairs running up through the cliffs and the like. This is good stuff.

On the performance issues, I noticed a couple things that I haven't seen mentioned (pardon if I missed anything). I think your waterfall emitters may be a very, very big culprit. Try using a larger material for the particles, allowing you to use fewer particles. The current system looks a little weird anyway, IMO. Look at the emitters used in, for example, CTF-LostFaith, or try doing something like the waterfall in DM-DesertIsle, which isn't even an emitter at all. At present, you've got *way* too many particles. And ARE THEY USING COLLISION??! It sure looks like it! That's got to be slowing things down a TON. Better to use a few seperate emitters: one up top, whose particles die when they hit the next level, and another emitter at that level that spits out new particles, simulating the "water cascading over the rock" effect without spending CPU cycles on pointless collision calculations. (Apologies if I'm wrong about this, I didn't open the map in UnrealEd or anything).

Also, the fluid surface for the upper pool of the waterfall appears to be extremely high detail. Turn it down, it's really small. XSize and YSize could probably be as low as 8 for that thing, but right now I suspect it's closer to 48.

If you can get away with it, try lowering the resolution of your terrain heightmaps and layer/decolayer maps. With the heightmaps in particular, it might screw the terrain up a little, so backup the map first, but you might gain a little performance boost. Also, do a check through the map and look for terrain triangles that are multi-textured, but where one layer is 100% opaque. Multi-textured triangles are rendered in multiple passes, which obviously slows performance. You can use the Show Grid option in the Terrain editor, it will highlight triangles in use by whatever texture layer you have selected. If you find multi-textured triangles that really shouldn't be, use the Terrain editor to erase the underlying, invisible layers. Cleaning up your layers this way could potentially eliminate thousands of triangles, maybe even tens of thousands with as much as is being rendered in this map.

That is all.

Comment

J4M573R, that's new to me. I have never noticed that it colorizes the terrain like that. Thanks.

Xyx,
      By this I mean that with the default setup's three nodes in the middle and only one on each end, teams must hurry to build one of the middle nodes and shoot their opponents' home node down. That cuts them off from the whole map. It's a race because the round is pretty much decided in five minutes, it's a lottery because when two teams are somewhat equal luck decides who cuts who off first.

After one team is cut off, victory is 90% certain. However, the defenders only have to shoot down one node to protect their core, and it's not like they have any other options. This turns the game into a stalemate, where the defenders try to hold out until overtime. Not the most thrilling gameplay for either side.
      Ah, very good point. I actually noticed the bot matches working out just like that, a stalemate in one of the corner nodes.
      Playing through that node setup in my head, *Thumbs way up* It's a very ingenious way to link the nodes up (I probably never would have thought of that.) Thank you very much.

invicticide,
      At present, you've got *way* too many particles. And ARE THEY USING COLLISION??! It sure looks like it! That's got to be slowing things down a TON. Better to use a few seperate emitters: one up top, whose particles die when they hit the next level, and another emitter at that level that spits out new particles, simulating the "water cascading over the rock" effect without spending CPU cycles on pointless collision calculations. (Apologies if I'm wrong about this, I didn't open the map in UnrealEd or anything).
      Nope, no collisions. I actually did it the way you suggested. (*me takes a bow*) But I will look into making fewer and larger particles.

Also, the fluid surface for the upper pool of the waterfall appears to be extremely high detail. Turn it down, it's really small. XSize and YSize could probably be as low as 8 for that thing, but right now I suspect it's closer to 48.
      Yeah, if you go through and look at all of the fluidserfaceinfos, you will notice that they all are way too detailed. I have gone through and toned them all done a whole lot in ONS-RangerMSU. The frame rate around those areas runs so much smoother than before it blows my mind.

If you can get away with it, try lowering the resolution of your terrain heightmaps and layer/decolayer maps. With the heightmaps in particular, it might screw the terrain up a little, so backup the map first, but you might gain a little performance boost. Also, do a check through the map and look for terrain triangles that are multi-textured, but where one layer is 100% opaque. Multi-textured triangles are rendered in multiple passes, which obviously slows performance. You can use the Show Grid option in the Terrain editor, it will highlight triangles in use by whatever texture layer you have selected. If you find multi-textured triangles that really shouldn't be, use the Terrain editor to erase the underlying, invisible layers. Cleaning up your layers this way could potentially eliminate thousands of triangles, maybe even tens of thousands with as much as is being rendered in this map.
      Hmmm, I'll definitely look into this as well. That multitexturing thing in particular really sounds like something that would optimize my level. I didn't even think to erase the completely opaque layers that are hidden below the other textures....

Oh, and I will work on making the main bases and that Tower node building look spiffier. I'm not much of a modeler, so I'll have to improvise with the Meshes provided.

--Tom 'Sumasshu' Oliphant

Comment

Originally posted by Sumasshu
        Nope, no collisions. I actually did it the way you suggested. (*me takes a bow*)
        Nice, I approve. Be sure to post an update when the new version is ready, ASAP! I'll be looking forward to it!

That is all.

Comment

thats a interesting point in the 2nd shot.

btw- why call it ranger for?

Some nice terrain work going on mate, wish i could do some cool terrain like that.

MsM

Comment

Waaaay too laggy. I run all the Epic Onslaught maps at 30 fps Holy **** settings, but here I was dropping down to below 10.

Comment

Working...
            X