• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Somnium

Name: Somnium
    Version: 100
    Compatibility: UT2004
    Description: A nightmare-themed fortress in a hot sticky area featuring towers, lava and all that stuff
    Comments: Sticked to creating some gameplay rather than making lots of static meshes. Don't play DM very often but I guess it's a bit big for 1on1 after all.
    Screenshot: see below
    Credits: Niko Schmitt
    Homepage: none
    Download: http://home.tiscali.de/ottmarschmitt/DM-Somnium.zip

[shot]http://home.tiscali.de/ottmarschmitt/DM-Somnium.jpg[/shot]
    Screenshot2
    Screenshot3

Nice map

Hello. I just played a 20 minute 4 person DM and the bot pathing was good and the gameplay was also solid. I had a good time on this map and it plays nice and fast. You can snipe as well as hide out (in a couple of spots ... granted not for too long though) which is nice for a map like this. Though the theme would seem to suggest a darker more ominous map and some evil ambient sounds, I don't have real issues with the map.

Though there isn't any real eye candy, it's solid ... but I would like to see small improvements on the skybox (the sky looks too artificial and doesn't really blend in well with the rest of the map) and the lighting. On the edges when I am up the towers and turn I can see the box clearly and the lava cuts off cleanly [you can see the line] and there is empty orange-yellow space. But that's little and even if you didn't tidy these areas up I would still (will actually) keep this on my System.

So all in all I would say it's best for 2v2 fights (3v3 might work but it will be insane) or maybe 5 total in a DM and as is I'd give it a solid 6.5 because of the gameplay and the overall way the map is laid out. Fix the sky up a bit, darken the map and add just a little bit of candy (audio and/or visual) and you've got what could be an 8, 7.5 at the least. Peace.

Edit: I did notice that sometimes the bots get stuck taking the elevators ... they just freeze up right in front of it even when the platform is down and they stand still for about 20-45 seconds before moving.

Comment

I can't comment on flow since I'm not a DM expert, but I did notice a couple of other thingies:
      • The yellow fog goes way too high up. I feel it should fill the horizons, not half the screen. It doesn't look like smog and this map needs no heavy distancefog for framerate purposes.
      • Bots came at me with the Assault Rifle much more often than on other maps.
      • It's a bit... empty.

Comment

You shouldn't need to jump to get onto a lift. :bulb:
        I think that's why the bots were getting stuck.

Comment

If ur still working on the map then I have some improvement iedees.

Comment

Like the layout of it..

needs more weapons and something done with the fog/skybox

Comment

Working...
            X