DM-Desert_Complex[Pics][Final][04]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Desert_Complex[Pics][Final][04]

Posted this over in betas, but since its done, Ill post it here too. Let us know what you think

Name: Miasma Desert Complex
    Version: 1.00
    Compatibility: Ut2004
    Description: Facility on far away world where automated facility has been taken over by nomads and has been used for unreal tournament. (full details on download page)
    Comments: I posted this map on the betas page but since it has been submitted to MSUC I figured I should post it here too. Total completion time was about 2000 hours.
    Screenshot: below
    Credits: Jason Scott, Ryan Jones
    Homepage: http://www.ichibod.com/miasma/en
    Download: http://www.ichibod.com/miasma/download/

cool, am downloading it now. i'll post my views on the map latter on

Comment

Cool, I look forward to your feedback.

Barf

Comment

Chrsit a 100 mb? That's a lot of textures, I hope they're all compressed properly.

eDT: good map, not as big as I expected but I like the flow.

Comment

Thanks for feedback.

Everything is compressed into it proper dds format except for the textures that would show artifacts for being in that form, lens flares, and other things like that.

Barfwagon

Comment

100mb is tough to justify putting on a server...:weird:

Comment

So you think that the map would be worthy of putting on a server if the texture load/filesize was smaller?

Because I can look into streamlining the textures a little bit if you would be willing to put it on your server.

Barfwagon

Comment

Another thing, maybe you should just use the regular default zip format. Putting a program list shortcut in there is pretty meaningless and just something to be deleted later...

Comment

Ok thanks for the tips. I'll get a version that is a simple zip up on the webpage. The easier it is to install the better.

Also I was wondering if anyone who would be willing to play our map online and if there are any server admins who are interested.

This is our first released map so we are just trying to gauge what kind of interest there is in our map.

Thanks,

Barfwagon

Comment

i'll certainly put it up for at least a while..once the file size is reduced. It isn't much fun to wait for anything over ~15Mb on redirect. Anything much more than this and people become irritated from my experience.

Comment

Yeah I know how that is. I was thinking about releasing a server version to the map where I reduce the texture sizes, and maybe some of the dynamics so that it runs nice and smooth with any player load.

That may make the download more appealing.

100% custom content has its good side and bad, file size being one of the bad things.

Barf

Comment

I am reducing the size and have gotten from 90 down to 60 MB's

I will try to reduce it a little more but I dont think its going to get much better than that.

I know that ideally 15Mb's is what a server should get but with a map composed completely of custom content its hard to get it that low.

Barf

Comment

don't take too much away from the quality of the map just to get it smaller.. unless you do end up calling it ..serverversion or something so that if they want the ful thing it is still available..

Comment

Im going to call this edition server edition, but I think that there is negligible drop in quality, so I may just make it the revised full edition.

I have made about as much reduction as possible, and that puts the file size at about 60-65 (uncompressed)

So its not so menacingly huge.

Barfwagon

Comment

I find it strange that it's that big. I think about angelhearts maps and how they have completely custom content and aren't even that big. You're not using 2048x2048 textures to cover 2-inch areas are you?

edt: make sure to rename the new one something else, I'd like to have it too for the sake of my poor crappy computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X