[Gametype] Virus 1.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Gametype] Virus 1.5

Players take turns being infected with the virus. Everyone they come into contact with also catches the virus. The longer a player stays uninfected the more points he gets. If all players are infected a new round starts. The player who reaches the target goal score first or has the most points after a specific time wins.

The first version of Virus was originally created by Nicholas Rhead back in 2004 but I decided to fix and improve upon it since it still needed lots of love. Virus is best enjoyed against many human players on a small map.

This is the complete list of changes I have done:

Version 1.5:
    - Added support for MaxLives of infected players
    - Added configuration to prevent infecting the same players in consecutive rounds and even between maps
    - Added configuration for the amount of the last infected players to be saved
    - Added configuration to specify the amount of points uninfected players get each second
    - Added configuration to specify infected kill points
    - Added configuration for infected bonus speed other than the first one
    - Added configurations to specify score penalties for self kill, team kill and camping
    - Added 'NewRoundIn' sound before starting the new round countdown
    - Improved display of FFA stage by continuously showing a message and playing a sound after it finishes
    - Fixed endless new round loop if using bRandomFirstVirus without setting a goal score
    - Fixed broadcasting FFA message
    - Fixed incorrectly being able to score during new round countdown
    - Fixed exploiting by always infecting spectators who join
    - Fixed player speed on join after being a spectator
    - Fixed incorrectly broadcasting infection messages when a player became a spectator
    - Fixed countdown message having been one second too short
    - Fixed parsing URL options to work with map vote
    - Freshly infected players again immediately get full health
    - Renamed configuration bRandomFirstVirus to bRandomFirstInfection
    - Renamed configuration VirusSpreadPoints to InfectionSpreadPoints

Version 1.4:
    - Added configuration to choose the first infected player randomly
    - Added configuration to disallow any weapons
    - Fixed replication of VirusFX and Goop overlay
    - Fixed related client crash if host is in listen mode
    - Fixed restarting the round if remaining infected player left the game or became a spectator
    - Fixed a warning after version 1.2
    - Removed black vignette HUD again

Version 1.3:
    - Added configurable friendly fire scale between uninfected players and reduce their score if they kill their own team
    - Added configurable camper warnings for uninfected players and reduce their score if they are camping
    - Added configuration to disallow Super Weapons
    - Added configuration to disallow Adrenalin
    - Added configuration to disallow pickups (except from weapon bases)
    - Added black vignette HUD overlay for when the virus starts to spread
    - Fixed game ending while score is still tied between at least two players when using GoalScore > 0
    - Fixed showing weapon info even while infected
    - Self kills now also reduce the score
    - Freshly infected players no longer immediately get full health
    - Infected players can now only have the shield gun equipped and no longer pick up any weapons
    - Precache vignette HUD texture

Version 1.2:
    - Added infection vignette HUD effect
    - Added configuration for the infection radius
    - Added configuration for login infection time
    - Improved performance of infection emitter
    - Fixed game not ending ending while spectators are in the game
    - Fixed rare bot AI crash
    - Fixed infected players being able to see their own flames
    - Fixed resetting speed boost of first infected

Version 1.1:
    - Added support to award configurable amount of score points when player spreads infection
    - Added support to boost speed of first infected player by configurable factor
    - Fixed spreading infection by actually bumping into player (bots still also spread infection by standing real close to player)
    - Fixed warnings, crashes and game not ending in some maps
    - Removed annoying radar sound
    - Removed "Virus" game startup text
    - Hid radar for non infected players

I would also like to thank jefe, {TARD}-C3nT and rdy2bz for feedback and Wormbo for useful advice.

Virus comes with multiple configurable options and can be played with some variations.

If you really want to train your movement against other players you can try Infection Tag: GoalScore=999, TimeLimit=3, bRandomFirstInfection=True, InfectedKillPoints=0, UninfectedTimePoints=1, FirstInfectedSpeed=1.2, InfectedSpeed=1, bAllowWeapons=False, bAllowSuperweapons=False, bAllowPickups=False and bAllowAdrenaline=False.

And a different playstyle would be Virus Deathmatch: GoalScore=25, TimeLimit=5, bRandomFirstInfection=False, InfectedKillPoints=1, UninfectedTimePoints=0, FirstInfectedSpeed=1.5, InfectedSpeed=1.1, bAllowWeapons=True, bAllowSuperweapons=True, bAllowPickups=True, bAllowAdrenaline=True.

Leave the settings at default for Infection Tag with weapons enabled. This is also the recommended way to try Virus out for the first time.

Have fun!

Unfortunately I could not contact Nicholas due to invalid mail addresses but I doubt that he would mind that I fixed/improved his work a little. Anyway full credits for this gametype go to him

Source Code: https://github.com/stfx/ut2004mods

Download (Google Drive): http://goo.gl/J49Jeb
    Download (Dropbox): https://db.tt/3idi2a7C
    Download (UTzone): http://www.utzone.de/forum/downloads...o=file&id=4236

I loved this gametype in Timesplitters. From what I read you didn't actually have to touch the player in the author's previous version, just get close to them. I think that was a good call. It seems it would be about 20 times harder in UT2004 to touch another player with its agility-based gameplay. Haven't played either version though, so I can't say for sure.

Comment

Hehe, I liked that gametype. Don't recall if one had to touch the other player though in the original release.
      Either way, this should be fun with a decent amount of players! The improvements seem reasonable and will definitely add a lot of twists now!

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
        I loved this gametype in Timesplitters. From what I read you didn't actually have to touch the player in the author's previous version, just get close to them. I think that was a good call. It seems it would be about 20 times harder in UT2004 to touch another player with its agility-based gameplay. Haven't played either version though, so I can't say for sure.
        Well I could always re-add that for players again. The issue previously was that even though you sometimes bumped into someone else they did not get infected because the radius is only checked every half a second. Bumping seemed to work for me but please tell me if you think otherwise after testing

Comment

I tested a few matches offline, seemed pretty easy to avoid the bots and win. I'll put this on my server to see how it plays with real people. However, I notice that the .u file is named virus.u. Did you not rename the file when you recompiled it? If you don't rename each release, it makes it virtually unusable if it is on any public redirects. And since the original was released in 2004, you should definitely assume that it is.

Comment

Sounds interesting especially when playing with the zombie models
            (http://www.moddb.com/members/kaal979...el-compilation) only
            which role plays then the normal fragging - just for fun or to avoid being contacted?
            And i also wonder if the bots actually can understand this - if so then maybe their
            appearance after infected could become zombieish with the mentioned models maybe.

Comment

The reason the mod has bright green flames:

That said, I played with this on my server a bit, and the green flames are really hard to see through. As you see in the video, TS2 only has the green flames around the edges of your vision, not in the center at all. And as I suspected, it's pretty hard to tag human players. So a larger "virus" radius would be appreciated. Also due to the really short matches, a round system (best 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5) would be great.... some of my players were still downloading maps by the time the game was over.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback guys

@Kaal979: The bots do understand how to play it but they will never be as good as skilled players navigating the level so it makes much more fun against humans.

@jefe: Thanks.

1. I shall re-add the radius then. How large would you like it to be? It used to be four times the size of a character model (100UU radius) but keep in mind this affects the vertical-axis as well as it checks it in a radius.

2. I am aware that the flames the players see on their own screen if they are infected are pretty annoying but I am not sure if I will be able to get a better effect.

3. I agree that round based games are needed, this is why you should use goalscore (and I would also recommend using VirusSpreadPoints so that all players are always motivated). However let me know if you would want to have rounds even without goalscore.

4. The green flames are very visible for me on other players, could you elaborate on that?

5. About the naming. I thought it was enough to conform the gametype but I guess I could add the version number as well for the next release

Comment

I would suggest to make the radius customizable in the gametype. Some might prefer direct touch, others might prefer to have some space.

Comment

Originally posted by stfx View Post
                    1. I shall re-add the radius then. How large would you like it to be? It used to be four times the size of a character model (100UU radius) but keep in mind this affects the vertical-axis as well as it checks it in a radius.
                    I like Sly's idea of a configurable radius.

2. I am aware that the flames the players see on their own screen if they are infected are pretty annoying but I am not sure if I will be able to get a better effect.
                    The normal red "damage" HUD effect should work, just changed green, and maybe made a bit larger. I haven't looked how that's set up in the class files, but you should be able to adapt it to this.

3. I agree that round based games are needed, this is why you should use goalscore (and I would also recommend using VirusSpreadPoints so that all players are always motivated). However let me know if you would want to have rounds even without goalscore.
                    I had mine set to zero, since I didn't remember score playing a role in this gametype. What is a good goal score then?

5. About the naming. I thought it was enough to conform the gametype but I guess I could add the version number as well for the next release
                    A public redirect can only have one version of "virus.u." That's why a numbered version is essential so there are no possible conflicts.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                      I had mine set to zero, since I didn't remember score playing a role in this gametype. What is a good goal score then?
                      Originally posted by stfx View Post
                      I recommend playing it with a goal score (~100) though and using VirusSpreadPoints (~10) and FirstVirusBoost (~1.25) in the config.
                      However this depends on player count relative to map size. Players who are not infected get 1 point per second btw.

Thx Sly + jefe: I will check out your suggestions asap.

Comment

Alright I have just uploaded version 1.2 which should address all your concerns and also fixes quite a few important issues. I hope you like it

The mirrors have been updated.

Comment

Love the updated HUD effect. So much better. Played this a bit on my server, and noticed a couple of things that still could use improvement. First, it's really easy on a lot of maps to camp in a spot that bots can't reach you - then it's just a waiting game and a tied score for whoever else is hiding. So it would be nice to have some sort of "camper warning" or penalty like in Freon or TAM to prevent camping. Second, it's great that the bots no longer try to kill uninfected players. But players still can. So it would be good I think if killing uninfected players gave a score penalty. Likewise, uninfected players should get points for killing infected. Also, I think it would also be good for the first "infected" to be chosen randomly (like in TS) instead of being the first killed player - I think this sends mixed signals as to how this game type is played if it starts out like a standard DM match. Players on my server were certainly confused. The rules should be "zombie apocalypse" not FFA.

Comment

after only 1 person remains their should be a time limit of like 1 or 2 minutes to see if they can survive instead of just being automatically over. Cool stuff though

Comment

Version 1.3 is up.

@jefe: I incorporated all of your feedback and more, however the FFA part is still in for now as players who are not infected should theoretically have it easier and therefore randomly setting the first infected would mean that that person has a forced disadvantage. It would be fair if every player gets infected the same amount of times over multiple games which a gametype can't easily do because most stuff is reset on a new map. Well actually it could by writing the last few infected players into the config.

Anyway I agree that the FFA round is not easy to understand the first time and I will think about how to best make the rules easier as I am not completely happy about them. Btw this was also the reason why I added the recolored HUD vignette effect for uninfected players after the FFA round is over in order for them to understand it a bit easier.

Originally posted by {TARD}-C3nT View Post
                              after only 1 person remains their should be a time limit of like 1 or 2 minutes to see if they can survive instead of just being automatically over. Cool stuff though
                              Thanks. You can set the goal score to something like 100 then the match goes as long as one player reaches that score and also a new round will only start if all players are infected.

Alright guys, please let me know what you think

Comment

Working...
                              X