CTF-Arid-v5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-Arid-v5

As I have always enjoyed UT2004's awesome custom maps by the community I decided to contribute and also improve my mapping by fixing one of my favorite maps, CTF-Arid-v3 by Raffi_B.

This is its promotional video:

Details:

After having contacted Raffi_B and got permission I went on to fix every little issue I found and took the liberty to improve a few subtle things. All of this was done while trying to keep the looks and feel of this map intact.

I would like to thank ShX and GreatEmerald for feedback, Sonic for the improved item placement and general CTF advice and jefe for the skybox, lighting and sand humps improvements.

CTF-Arid-v5 by stfx:

Changed skybox to fix wrong lighting direction (by jefe)
    Improved and fixed BSP lighting (by jefe)
    Changed ceiling architecture slightly to fix terrain lighting
    Readded animated clouds in the skybox
    Added sand humps made by Hazel.H (by jefe)
    Tweaked bot pathing
    Tweaked ambient sounds
    Added support for environmental audio effects (EAX)

CTF-Arid-v4 by stfx:

Improved performance considerably
    Removed Super Shield and moved Health Keg to its old position
    Moved Lighting Gun to old position of Health Keg
    Removed Damage Amplifiers and moved Shields to their old positions
    Moved health away from flag room to prevent camping
    Added adrenalin pickups
    Added two pillars in the center to provide more cover
    Improved and fixed collisions (walljumps now almost everywhere possible)
    Completely remade bot pathing (defense points, better assault paths, translocator support, bots now use most of upper area and play much faster)
    Fixed antiportals and improved zoning
    Fixed brush edges by using proper brush sinking
    Realigned actors and brushes which were not on grid
    Fixed texture alignments
    Set volumetric light beams and team cloths to not show on low world details
    Added ambient sounds
    Added more subtle team indicators
    Fixed lighting in the center
    Removed distance fog
    Removed animated clouds in the skybox
    Improved mover lighting and sped them up slightly
    Recreated possibly problematic emitters
    Fixed zone name of rocket launcher room
    Reduced terrain layers
    Removed the easter egg

CTF-Arid-v3 by Raffi_B:

Fixed the jump pads in the flag rooms
    Added team-colored lighting to the bases
    Moved some items around in the center area
    Fixed a few minor bugs
    Added an easter egg

I hope you do enjoy this update

Cheers
    stfx

Download v5 (Google Drive): http://goo.gl/5d0bJO
    Download v5 (Dropbox): https://db.tt/icLmpN8i
    Download v5 (UTzone): http://www.utzone.de/forum/downloads...o=file&id=4237
    Download v5 (Mapraider): http://www.mapraider.com/maps/6010

I like your changelog, it seems you have considered most of the corner cases. One thing I'm still missing, though: environmental effects. Are they included in the originals? Because people keep forgetting about them due to misconfigured sound settings...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      I like your changelog, it seems you have considered most of the corner cases. One thing I'm still missing, though: environmental effects. Are they included in the originals? Because people keep forgetting about them due to misconfigured sound settings...
      Could you elaborate on that as I am not sure what you mean or is that triggered stuff like thunder? I am pretty sure that the original did not have any sounds apart from the movers/jumppad/levelmusic

Comment

I think GE is referring to this ZoneInfo property.

GE, does that setting do much on non-fancy sound cards?

Comment

meowcat, yes I am, and yes it does. It works on anything that supports EAX, and that includes all modern integrated sound cards. Now the fancy ones make even better use of it, but the non-fancy ones work just fine, too. You just need to enable EAX in the sound options (and possibly update the OpenAL drivers).

Comment

Ah thanks, I did not know that. But seems like I am not the only one as every other custom map I checked, including some from ECE, CBP and UCMP, did not use this property. Anyway I will definitely consider it in my next project

Comment

Yeap, hence why every time I have a chance, I remind people about it. It's just so easy to forget about it The property is used properly in many of the stock maps (CTF-BridgeOfFate, BR-Bifrost come into mind), but very rarely in custom maps.

Comment

You can add this to your list of things to fix:

[SHOT]http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/129326191-4.jpg[/SHOT]

See those purple spots? They're all over the place. Play around with the light radius and saturation. It's not a difficult thing to fix.

Edit: Another thing, the angle of the sunlight doesn't match the the skybox. At all. You should fix this.

[SHOT]http://i.imgur.com/2QSGYdZ.jpg[/SHOT]

Comment

Thanks, I did not realize that the pink dots were actually caused by the lights.

About the sunlight. There are quite a few related issues to that. The terrain has low detail so the shadows get kind of lost. So if I had changed the angle a bit it would have looked strange there. If I were to change the angle enough similar to what you pointed out most of the level would be unlit and would look very different to how Arid used to look. The best thing would be to change the skybox but I did not really wanted to waste my time with finding or creating a new one. I will think about this and maybe even release another Arid version in the future, so thanks again for your feedback

Comment

I did a quick test using the Osiris2 skybox and some basic "ambient" fog, and it looks great for the most part, although I agree the terrain layers at the entrance of each base look a bit derpy with bright sunlight and high shadow detail. There are several approaches to fixing the lighting:

A) Keep the current skybox, change the sunlight angle logically so it doesn't shine directly on the sand layers, and utilize more logical light sourcing and fog for ambience. (My original suggestion)

B) Use a skybox like Osiris2 that shines from directly overhead, but change the terrain layers at each entrance to bsp or static mesh ramps of approximately the same size. The central terrain layer looks fine as is. (My preference)

C) Use a skybox like Osiris2 that shines from directly overhead, but redo the terrain layers so you can get more detail. (Will have 'meh' results)

D) Change the shape of the terrain layer so it is only in light or shadow, not both.

E) Use lower shadow detail.

If you like, I can send you this file.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                      [URL=http://imgur.com/MnerBzO]I did a quick test using the Osiris2 skybox and some basic "ambient" fog, and it looks great for the most part, although I agree the terrain layers at the entrance of each base look a bit derpy with bright sunlight and high shadow detail. There are several approaches to fixing the lighting:

A) Keep the current skybox, change the sunlight angle logically so it doesn't shine directly on the sand layers, and utilize more logical light sourcing and fog for ambience. (My original suggestion)

B) Use a skybox like Osiris2 that shines from directly overhead, but change the terrain layers at each entrance to bsp or static mesh ramps of approximately the same size. The central terrain layer looks fine as is. (My preference)

C) Use a skybox like Osiris2 that shines from directly overhead, but redo the terrain layers so you can get more detail. (Will have 'meh' results)

D) Change the shape of the terrain layer so it is only in light or shadow, not both.

E) Use lower shadow detail.

If you like, I can send you this file.
                      Yea its not easy. I really like the sandlike terrain so I wont replace it with a ramp if thats what you mean in B). The best would probably be to redo the terrain C) with more detail but I am not really keen to work on that.

I just checked and I dont really like the results of using a different sun light angle.

Sure, please do.

Comment

Version 5 has been released featuring the following changes:

Changed skybox to fix wrong lighting direction (by jefe)
                        Improved and fixed BSP lighting (by jefe)
                        Changed ceiling architecture slightly to fix terrain lighting
                        Readded animated clouds in the skybox
                        Added sand humps made by Hazel.H (by jefe)
                        Tweaked bot pathing
                        Tweaked ambient sounds
                        Added support for environmental audio effects (EAX)

I would like to thank jefe for the huge help he has been by sending me his very nice modifications. Version 5 is gonna be the final version. I hope you like it

Comment

That sure looks nice. It's like it was an official map by Epic.

By the way, you probably should update your sig to show "v5"

Comment

The terrain looks good at the bases finally, but I wish you didn't take out the music triggers above the link guns. They weren't hurting anything.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                              The terrain looks good at the bases finally, but I wish you didn't take out the music triggers above the link guns. They weren't hurting anything.
                              Sorry, but I didn't add in that change as I wanted to keep the map as retail-like as possible and I figured that you would want to add your other changes in anyway for your server

@GreatEmerald: Thanks for reminding me hehe

Comment

Working...
                              X