Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

CTF-Astorgan [pics]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTF-Astorgan [pics]

I am proud to present you a brand-new Capture The Flag map that I created over the past two weeks. The architecture is entirely drawn from scratch. I also brought my own set of team-colored textures, custom music and terrain this time.

The gameplay is fast and intense. Any possible route takes only about 15 seconds to run, which is a good measure. You have open areas, narrow corridors and good amount of z-axis gaming. I think it is safe to say that there's a good portion of everything in this map which gives a lot of options. That all routes take the same amount of time gives you freedom of choice as there seems to be no "definite-route" while all of them are relatively different in flow.

[SHOT]http://ut2k4mapper.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/shot00004.jpg[/SHOT]
    [SHOT]http://ut2k4mapper.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/shot00000.jpg[/SHOT]
    [SHOT]http://ut2k4mapper.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/shot00001.jpg[/SHOT]
    [SHOT]http://ut2k4mapper.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/shot00002.jpg[/SHOT]
    [SHOT]http://ut2k4mapper.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/shot00007.jpg[/SHOT]
    [SHOT]http://ut2k4mapper.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/shot00005.jpg[/SHOT]

DOWNLOAD

I hope you like it!
    Enjoy

I found a little hiding spot in the red base that needs fixing.

I like the design of the buildings, they remind me a lot of AngelMapper's CTF-PhaseShift. Some of the texture choices seemed a bit odd or out of place, and to a lesser degree the meshes. Like the textures in the two large building, i see you used the red and blue walls from the fareast set on the interior, in a sort of rectangle where there are arches leading to the roof. I know why you put colored textures there, and for good reason, but it just looks off to see those inserted there. There are a few other ways you could add color that would look better, I think.

I see you put a lot of thought into the layout, including the terrain, but the terrain is much too angular near the lion statures. Terrain like that is just inviting people to trans under it, and it doesn't look good either. If you have BSP beneath it, you should put some small kill volumes under those little hills, or better yet leave the ground more flat, and construct a different base for them.

The music is a good track (I recognize it from FF8, but can't place the arrangement), but it seems a bit grating for in-game music. I'd prefer a default track. Fix it up, and I'll put it on my invasion server.

Comment

fixed and uploaded.

Textures: Well, if it was for me, everything would have gotten the same brick texture as the main building with only some slight teamcolor variations. But while showing this to others i got told that it looks a bit too boring (too gray). I just tried to compensate without breaking it too much. Of course that made it look a little random here and there. But who knows. Maybe there is a place in the world that looks like that.. and if not: now there is.

Music: Uuu. It sounded good yesterday night, around 4am .. But, you're right. Changed it.

Terrain: Didn't know, never used terrain in a map before or tried to teleport under it. I removed it and just placed some solid blocks instead. I hate terrain for movement and aim, but for texturing it's awesome.

CTF-Astorgan-RTP

Enjoy

Comment

If you do terrain right it can add a lot to your level, and add some z-axis play. At the very least some variation in height can provide some cover both for defenders and attackers, which is generally good. Long flat stretches are boring and easy to snipe across. The trick, of course is keeping terrain symmetrical in CTF. I remember trying an external terrain editor with mirroring functions a long time ago, but I couldn't get it to work. Maybe someone else here has had success with one.

You're right the interiors would look boring with just the brick texture and nothing else, but there are other options to decorate the room or to integrate other textures. That part in particular just looks strange, because the texture you chose is made of very different types of materials than the other and wouldn't integrate into a wall like that. If you added some supports nearby, for example, the transition between materials would look more plausible and less like a random assortment of texturing. Trim via texture or meshes makes transitions like that look so much better. You could have also used the solid red texture there instead, its the stonework at the bottom that looks the most out of place. You also have the option of editing textures or using color modifiers to add variation in team color, which is important in ctf. For example you could use some of the red and blue striping that you used elsewhere in the level in that room.

Comment

Looks good so far, but aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah don't change custom music for default; I hope you chose another custom music track. Also, shouldn't this be in the beta section first?

Comment

Custom tracks can be nice, but not every map needs one, especially if there is plenty of existing music that fits the theme. When played online, most people aren't going to have the music, unless they happened to download the map or the admins happen to post the music, and that still isn't going to happen for every map. If you don't want a default track, I personally like old standbys like Course and Foregone because a lot of people already have conversions of the old UT music, and, well UT had awesome music.

Comment

When I say custom music I mean non-default and the more without default tracks the better I say. How many of these UT2004 custom maps are actually played online these days, really?

Comment

Originally posted by SkaarjMaster View Post
                Looks good so far, but aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah don't change custom music for default; I hope you chose another custom music track. Also, shouldn't this be in the beta section first?
                I have yet to come across on "final" that really is "final" once released
                There wont be any more changes, so that repost wasn't that bad as i fixed it in a very short amount of time. Things don't always go as planned.

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                If you do terrain right it can add a lot to your level, and add some z-axis play. At the very least some variation in height can provide some cover both for defenders and attackers, which is generally good. Long flat stretches are boring and easy to snipe across. The trick, of course is keeping terrain symmetrical in CTF. I remember trying an external terrain editor with mirroring functions a long time ago, but I couldn't get it to work. Maybe someone else here has had success with one.
                While watchin TV i got some ideas for a new map that will involve terrain to some extent. I personally don't mind flat stretches. I think you will have more ppl complaining about a bumpy off road track than a long dark corridor. If you fill the corridor, like i usually do, it's not that much of an issue anymore.

There are many heavily played maps that contain large open areas. I would never build like that but that fact makes me believe that most players don't mind as much as we (mappers) do. Nothing wrong with flat, imho.

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                You're right the interiors would look boring with just the brick texture and nothing else, but there are other options to decorate the room or to integrate other textures.
                Absolutely. Thank you for all the input. I will work on my techniques.

Comment

So far so good!

This industrial map must be a plenty of architectures, lighting/shadows and good z-axis play, a potential hit for CTF gameplay. I don't think there are any blocking volumes in any areas. Love the edifying team-colored and brick textures, spiral staircase, the jumppads and the scopes which makes a total flow and good atmosphere (I kinda agree with Jefe's long comments). The paths are in the right corner when you keep straight head to the opposing base (but don't fall over the edge) and this one has a good weapon/item placement for the team base. Thumbs up!

Direct mirror added to UT-Files.com:
                  http://ut2004.ut-files.com/index.php...torgan-RTP.zip

Comment

good and fun CTF map!

I like the custom music better in the old version and it really gets your heart pumping, so I kept both versions for now. Not sure if the floor really matches the rest of the map's tex/meshes that I like. There is no question which base you are in or near, but I'm not a big fan of the weapon placement; I think there needs to be a little more health and maybe a couple more weapon pickup locations but not sure where as some weapons are put in strange places. I do like the typical CTF fun gameplay and the bots are good.

Comment

Working...
                    X