VCTF-Suspense2K4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VCTF-Suspense2K4

Name: Suspense2K4 (it's VCTF not ctf, as the icon says ^^)
    Version: beta8 (final if no bugs are found)
    Compatibility: UT2004 3369
    Description: Fully remade from UT3 - Custom models and textures. Feel free to use them.
    3 custom vehicles: Scorpion which plays like the UT3 version, primary fire is a ball secondary is boost. Bender where the driver seat can shoot shockballs like the UT3 version. And a Hoverboard just like the UT3 version.
    Comments: Big bridge based map remade from UT3.
    Make sure you put the 2 packages in the right folder.
    Fully botpathed.

Credits: Myself of course ^^ and WailofSuicide for the custom Scorpion, Bender and Hoverboard.

The vctf one got deleted from my filefront, don't know why :S
    But anyways here are all the versions/

ONS-Suspense2K4-B11-ADS http://www.filefront.com/13099799/ON...K4-B11-ADS.rar

ONS-Suspense2K4-B11-NoADS http://www.filefront.com/13099848/ON...-B11-NoADS.rar

VCTF-Suspense2K4-Beta8 http://www.filefront.com/15965579/VC...2K4-Beta8.rar/

Have you fixed the bird of doom sound, and all of the fences block what they supposed to (hitscan, but not projectiles)? And does the water no longer send any vehicles in it flying? Is the Minigun where it should be (reached by a jump pad near flags)? Do you get right weapons in the weapon lockers? Is the small shield at each end of the bridge, and the big shield opposite the Jump Boots? Does the map have a proper description? Is the music right?

I've fixed most of these things in your beta7 (could fix all if I tried actually), so if you want, I can do that for you Will be a lot more true to the original.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Have you fixed the bird of doom sound,
      There are no loud birds. Just some birds.

and all of the fences block what they supposed to (hitscan, but not projectiles)?
      Everything can go through except shockballs and trans, as in UT3.

And does the water no longer send any vehicles in it flying?
      Yes it does, there is streaming water. :>

Is the Minigun where it should be (reached by a jump pad near flags)?
      Doesn't make sense to put a mini there if the mini is already in the weapon locker. Shock makes more sense.

Do you get right weapons in the weapon lockers?
      You get mini flak link and grenade in all weapon lockers.

Is the small shield at each end of the bridge,
      There is a big one :>

and the big shield opposite the Jump Boots?
      Small one there.

Does the map have a proper description?
      Like how??

Is the music right?
      Nope, not gonna add custom music. Music doesn't get send through servers.

I've fixed most of these things in your beta7 (could fix all if I tried actually), so if you want, I can do that for you Will be a lot more true to the original.
      If you want something different for your server feel free to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey View Post
        Doesn't make sense to put a mini there if the mini is already in the weapon locker. Shock makes more sense.

There is a big one [100s] :>

Small one [50s] there.
        These are all very sensible changes that improve the map, IMO. It's kind of inexplicable how there is a minigun pickup near the flag in UT3 when it's in every locker, or how the more exposed armor is the weaker of the two armors on the map.

Originally posted by Jeffrey View Post
        Like how??
        I believe he means the description in F6 (in UnrealEd).

Comment

Originally posted by Wail of Suicide View Post
          These are all very sensible changes that improve the map, IMO. It's kind of inexplicable how there is a minigun pickup near the flag in UT3 when it's in every locker, or how the more exposed armor is the weaker of the two armors on the map.
          I just took the UT3 pickup placement and if I remember right there is a big one in the exposed area.
          I replaced the mini by a shock myself. Shock is quite handy near a flag right.? ^^

Originally posted by Wail of Suicide View Post
          I believe he means the description in F6 (in UnrealEd).
          It says: Suspense remade from UT3.
          Isn't that important imo, as if people gonna read the entire thing. They wanna play :P

Comment

Yea, the description you see when you click on the map. I play offline, so... It now reads "Suspense remade from UT3", and that's all, while it should read "Suspense is the only bridge across the Alluvion strong enough to support the weight of heavy combat vehicles. Without the bridge, it would take Axon forces several days to respond to any battles across of the river. As such, it is always under guard by an Axon mechanized division, with military checkpoints at each end."

Sure, it doesn't make too much sense unless you didn't load up or you're out of ammo, but the Shock Rifle ruins the gameplay. Everyone can pick it up safely, so basically there is no need for them in the side buildings. Plus, the Shock Rifle pounds all vehicles into oblivion.

Small shield doesn't require any skills to take, while the big ones are hardly noticeable and you spend a lot more time attempting to pick them up. Any tank can just send you into oblivion during that time.

Streaming water only effects vehicles and ragdolls, not players, at least less noticeably. And it's unfair as it's one way, that makes the map non-symmetrical and not true to the original.

How did you do it so the Translocator and Shock Balls don't go through? Hopefully you didn't use absolutes? As that way my UT3 Weapons mod would make those fences absolutely wrongly functioning.

What? Grenade? What's a grenade? You don't mean Grenade Launcher, hopefully? That would be again very untrue to the original.

Music isn't replicated, but that's what matters for offline players. Like I've said, I almost never play online. And therefore I don't have a server.

My point of view is that you should make it as close to the original as possible. The gameplay might get different, but that's what we expect: it's another game! And that makes the map original.

EDIT: No, Thigh Pads are lower than Armor.
            And it is important. If you have MapMixer (and everyone should have it TBH), then you will see the map's description while loading. Very handy thing to do while you're waiting: read!

Comment

Jeffrey I LOVE YOU ! Suspense is my favourite map in UT3... But UT3 don't like my computer.. xD

*Target Painters are not good on this map.

Comment

And yes, uczen is right about that.

Comment

wow looks better then UT3 one

I like this version ! thank you ! please make all UT3 map for UT2004 !!!

Comment

If someone wants, I can write a music actor script which lets to have dynamic music like in UT3 (including allowing an alternative music for those players who don't have the songs, such as downloading from a server).

Comment

Cool! It would be useful for me as well! Unreal II-styled dynamic music!

Comment

@GreatEmerald: I'm gonna fix all the stuff you mentioned. Will be a 100% (well kinda) the same map as UT3. ^^

Originally posted by .:..: View Post
                        If someone wants, I can write a music actor script which lets to have dynamic music like in UT3 (including allowing an alternative music for those players who don't have the songs, such as downloading from a server).
                        That sounds really cool :O
                        But how does it work? It lets me add some sort of ambient sound that has always the same loudness and doesn't restart when dieing?

Good idea, I sure wanna

Comment

Nah, I bet it utilises the MusicEvents, much like ACTION_PlayMusic:
                          http://unreal.student.utwente.nl/unc...ymusic.html.gz
                          Probably sequences of ClientSetMusic(). Not too hard to do it, at least for offline, just tons of ifs and it should work (if has a flag, if taken damage etc.)

Comment

How did you do it so the Translocator and Shock Balls don't go through?
                            Those two are blocked if players are blocked. Makes sense for the translocator but I'm not sure why the shock balls behave that way.

Comment

BlockZeroExtentTraces to false does the job.

Comment

Working...
                              X