Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Gunreal Trailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gunreal Trailer

This is the first of two trailers to be released for Gunreal, showcasing some of the weapons in action (several are still in the works, and not shown). There will be a second trailer once the mod is complete, when the gameplay features are all implemented, which will show more of the actual gameplay features.

For those who don't know, Gunreal is a UT2004 weapons and gameplay mod, precurser to a larger UT2007 mod called Ground War (working title). It basically replaces the UT2004 weapons, and redesigns the way the game is played, to create an entirely new presentation, with special emphasis on sound and visual style.

Gunreal was originally founded on the desire to add solidity and power to UT's gun-play. I used to sit here and think about how weak and fluffy the presentation of UT's combat was, and started trying to find ways to remedy it by way of mutators. What I ended up doing instead was making a new set of weapons, and focusing almost entirely on refining the presentation and flow of the game, leaving the maps and gametypes alone, and just trying to strike a groove between solid combat and rewarding mechanics.

Gunreal's gameplay is slower and more strategic, with a shopping system that activates when you die, letting you purchase guns and ammo according to the cash you've earned. There's a special emphasis on team-games, with the ability to plasma-charge other players, drop and swap expensive weapons and ammo, access team weapon-storage from terminals and larger vehicles, and heal vehicles and nodes as usual, with 2 weapons that can do that now.

Ground War, the full version of Gunreal, will replace UT2007's content with its own (a weapon set, 5 vehicles, 2 unique teams, and 4 maps per mod update). Until then, Gunreal is the first stage of its evolution.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download Trailer Here. And CRANK the volume.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to capture the audio in full-fidelity, and, compared to in-game, it sounds like listening through a tin bucket... but at least you can hear it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW! This is totally cool man. Awesome video. The mod looks to be a lot of fun. And your website is very professional. I'm very much looking forward to the finished product.

Comment

it looks so awesome...

Comment

Holy **** that looks awesome. i can't wait for this. But what about the Gore? i didn't see any of that new gore features in the trailer like the list shows.

Comment

Impressive.
          Effects are really well-made here, especially the smoke and muzzleflashes. But, as Mr.UglyPants said, the new "gore" isn't really noticable. I saw only the standard UT's blood. Also - what is the "smooth weapon drag" feature mentioned on the list? Some kind of body-awarness?

Comment

Also will the gore features be in their own mutator set, so that so you could use them with other weapons and stuff other than your weapons? I'd love that

Comment

The gore is not implemented yet. When it is, it will include:
              - blood that sprays backward when getting shot at, marking up the walls
              - new headshot effect
              - new gibs and gibbing behavior
              - new blood and gib sounds

Already present in the death department is a new death cam (seen in trailer), and weighty ragdoll impact sounds. When you die, you really feel like you're dropping on the ground and eating it hard. If you've played Half-Life 2 Deathmatch, you know what I'm talking about, except that now you experience death in 1st-person. The ragdolls are also heavier and have more friction.

(headshot texture on the left, and bodypart version on the right)

The "smooth weapon drag" is how the weapons freely move in your hands as you move the camera around.

Most of the actual gameplay features aren't in the video. I'm saving those for trailer 2, when the mod is actually done, when it can "all" be shown at once. This is just the guns and basics trailer.

Update (May 28): The gore system is now fully setup in-game:

Comment

Nice gore. So will the gore effects come in their own mut?

Comment

I haven't decided yet, but it can't be done before Gunreal is released. I wouldn't have the programmers (and time) to spare for that (Gunreal isn't my only project).

I also wouldn't want to spoil the magic of everything before Gunreal is even out. But maybe after, if the UT2007 version doesn't take all of my time.

Comment

well thats a shame.

Comment

I can't seam to play the trailer but from the screenies all I can say is WOW an HOLY @*&(% thats a big gun

Comment

when logging in i wanted to type "looks good" as password...

however, looks hella good!

Comment

That looks KICK ***. I am x-psi-ted.

Comment

wtf, x-psi-ted?

Comment

Excited? X-psi-ted. I have a dumb sense of humour.

Comment

Working...
                              X