• Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-DG-Aether by DGUnreal

Name: CTF-DG-Aether
    Version: 1.0 final
    Requirements: UT2004 (patch 3369) and ECE1.1
    Players: 6 to 16
    Download: Aether main map page. Be sure to read the map information and notes here.
    Mirrors: Mapraider (more mirrors soon)

This is my most ambitious map to date: custom scripted actors, scripted ai creatures, skinned and baked staticmeshes, xprocmeshes, vertex-animated meshes, plus my usual high-quality terrain.

The design of this map is story-driven with an RPG Fantasy style.
    The gameplay is sort-of like the CTF-Face series.

Long ago, when time began and the universe was first taking form, the kingdoms of the elements of Earth and Air had made a truce and existed together in peace for countless millenia. But warring continued between the kingdoms of the elements of Fire and Water. Fire did persist to scorch Water, and Water held on to its power to extinguish Fire. Fire and Water believed that the winning kingdom would rise to be the fifth element: Aether.

See the DGUnreal web site for full map information and additional screenshots and more maps for download.
    Keep the comments coming (likes and dislikes)... I take all into consideration for future maps.

Enjoy!

-= Aether =-

Just a few screenshots, lots more on the map main page link above.

This looks really nice ... another reason to reinstall UT2K4. Thanks

Comment

yes another nice map again

cant wait for UT2007's Map too

Comment

lol i always download all your maps even though i never play them...

If you have a crash one day and can't find any of your maps anymore, you can always ask me, they're save with me

Screenshots are just super convincing, as always.

Edit: i just installed the first pic as desktop pic... bad idea, i always try to 'move my head' with the mouse now...

Comment

That looks awesome! Will test laster.

Comment

Great map, DG. I really had a lot of fun testing this one out- it has addictive gameplay and your high-quality terrain and visuals.

Another top quality map!

-Axe

Comment

Thanks NakhtiUT3.

Thanks BuffyTheSlayer. I can't wait either...
              The new UE3 features like normal mapping will make the terrain look even better, plus it looks great on water surfaces and even panning clouds.

Maps are meant to be played fftunes...
              This map has some of my best gameplay yet. I've been working more on my map gameplay than on visuals. Although I do still try to keep the visuals of high quality. Getting enough good beta-testers is always a problem though.

Thanks [TI]Al.

Thanks Axeman. And thanks for testing this one. More maps coming for beta soon.

Comment

Verrry nice! Great looks, some asymmetry, nice gameplay. Thanks!

Ever so humble constructive criticism:
                • A bit hitscan oriented. Might have been scaled down to 50%. I mean, jumppads by the bridges? A sure sign that a map is too big.
                • The waterline texture is identical other parts of the terrain.
                • Shadows can be very deep for broad daylight.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                  Verrry nice! Great looks, some asymmetry, nice gameplay. Thanks!

Ever so humble constructive criticism:
                  • A bit hitscan oriented. Might have been scaled down to 50%. I mean, jumppads by the bridges? A sure sign that a map is too big.
                  • The waterline texture is identical other parts of the terrain.
                  • Shadows can be very deep for broad daylight.
                  Thanks Xyx. I appreciate your feedback.
                  Sometimes my design compromises might end up being the wrong choice...

This map actually evolved quite a bit from where I originally started.
                  The terrain design was originally a quicky I made for one of my online tutorials (for the FluidSurfaceInfo), but it turned out so good I had to make it into a map instead.
                  The buildings were originally to be more like the Parthenon to resemble the atypical "gods" look. Even still I would have liked more z-play in them than what they currently have. I'll work on that for next time.

- Yeah, this map is a bit hitscan oriented.
                  I use the excuse that the gameplay is a bit like "CTF-Face" to justify that to myself.
                  I struggled with putting more trees or large rocks around the lake perimeter, but they detracted from the look of the map.
                  The overall design layout of the map was a mix of the UT Face series and the Tribes:Vengeance map MP-Fort (for those who are familiar with that game).
                  I did change the location and layout of pickups on the roofs to try to reduce the hitscan sniper camping a bit. But it still reminds me of hitscan camping on the CTF-Face upper levels.
                  It's difficult for a player to get a cap if there are good snipers on the roofs. So that will probably frustrate some gamers.

- I must come clean, the jumpads are in there for a few non-gameplay reasons: 1. a blatant ripoff from CTF-Face and MP-Fort, 2. I thought they were cool, 3. I wanted to mess around with some staticmesh skinning. Not necessarily in that order.
                  My bad...
                  Maybe they offset the hitscan a bit ?? ...

- Not sure what you mean by the waterline texture...
                  The beach texture layer is unique to just that area of the map.

- The shadows are exaggerated on this map, both in length and in contrast.
                  I was hoping no one would notice.
                  Long boring technical reasons why ZoneInfo Ambient and/or multi-Sunlights just didn't look good, so I stuck with what you see here...
                  The shadows are a bit too deep on the dark-sides of the buildings, and will make the map a bit more difficult to play in well-lit rooms unless your monitor is cranked up a bit. I messed with that for a day and decided this was the best compromise.
                  Next time I'll watch for that and I'll try to get it a bit more balanced.

Thanks again.
                  As I mentioned, I listen to all comments and use that information for future maps. I think I'm getting a bit better with each new release.

Perhaps you can beta-test my upcoming maps...

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
                    Sometimes my design compromises might end up being the wrong choice...
                    I know what that feels like. I keep going back and forth on some things myself.

[quote=DGUnreal;24727146]
                    Not sure what you mean by the waterline texture...
                    The beach texture layer is unique to just that area of the map.
                    Might be me, then, but if the water were to dry up I'd have a difficult time telling where it originally was.

The shadows are exaggerated on this map, both in length and in contrast.
                    I was hoping no one would notice.
                    I have a crappy monitor.

Perhaps you can beta-test my upcoming maps...
                    I'd be happy to. I'm not a hardcore player, just one with a specific opinion.

Comment

How did I miss this yesterday? Yet another great map with the astonishing visuals we're used to see from you.
                      Thanks a lot for this early christmas present, DGUnreal!

Comment

Might be me, then, but if the water were to dry up I'd have a difficult time telling where it originally was.
                        Ok, I got you now.
                        Yes, the beach texture is very similar to the path/erosion texture, so it doesn't stand out well in contrast to that.
                        If you load the map in UnrealEd and delete the xProcMesh lake, you will see that the lake bottom is a mud texture and stands out quite well. It actually looks kind of cool that way.

I'd be happy to. I'm not a hardcore player, just one with a specific opinion.
                        I can always use one or two more beta testers.
                        I'll PM you when my next map is ready for beta. By request I'm ONS'ing my Arctika map, and I'm currently working on a DM map for Jurassic Rage (the map looks very "Jurassic Park"-ish, and includes extra features like my custom DM-mode vehicle factory and scripted monsters, in addition to DM'ing with the JR dinosaurs attacking you).

Originally posted by Doc Shock View Post
                        Thanks a lot for this early christmas present, DGUnreal!
                        You're welcome and thank you.
                        I hope you enjoy the map.

Comment

I've played it for a while and wanted to find some bugs, but couldn't find one. I only found some bugs stiching me when I was at the outerpart of the map.:P I also found the mega adrenaline and the double damage. I think this is a very nice and atmospherical map and defenitly fun to play.

Comment

Thanks madMarty.

I play-tested this map extensively to find every bug I could, and I listened to my map beta-testers.
                            Plus I listened to design and gameplay comments from my previous CTF maps and used those to improve the design of this one.

You can find out exactly what the "bugs" are that attack you when you attempt to go out of the play field by pressing F1...
                            This is a fantasy based map, so they follow that theme.

The Redeemer is also in the map... There is a MegaAdrenaline behind each castle. The SuperAdrenalines are of course at the map center and along the two outer lake edges.
                            I always add some type of a joke or easter-egg to my maps... and some of those have never been found yet in some of my maps to the best of my knowledge... for CTF-DG-Aether walk behind the bird fountain...

Comment

That would be my fault if there are undetected bugs, but I saw none, and know DG's prowess, and TBH expected none.

Only bugs I found were kewlness....

Glad to see it's well recieved DG!!!!!!!!!

Dang I gotta g check on that fish...

Comment

Working...
                              X