Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ONS *Supreme HUD* v1.04

(A.S.S) ONS *Supreme HUD* v1.04

This HUD mutator takes the strategic and visual experience of Onslaught to a whole new level. Now you can see at a glance vital game information that you couldn’t before, such as player positions, specific vehicle positions, and the status of each power node from anywhere on the map.

SCREENSHOTS

EXPERIENCE IT NOW

These online servers are currently hosting the ONS Supreme HUD ... check them out, you'll be amazed with how it changes the way you're able to see the battlefield, coordinate with teammates, and make smarter decisions to help your team win.

(A.S.S) *Terror State* - Aero ONS

(A.S.S) *Carcass Factory* - 32-player ONS

FEATURE LIST

New things you can do

Instantly see the health status of any power node in the map — when a node is powered, the circular node icon will begin to flash softly with a white–team-color blend, and a pair of white brackets will appear on either side of the node icon, indicating that node's health level. As power is added, the flashing node icon will graduate toward a more saturated team color, and the power brackets will "fill" from bottom to top with red or blue as appropriate. Once a node is connected to the link network, as damage is taken the node icon will flash with a progressively blacker shade of the team color, and the power brackets will "empty" from top to bottom.

Additionally, in world view, a digital readout is displayed above the horizontal health meter that appears atop all power nodes and cores — particularly useful for experienced players with an assiduous knowledge of the exact damage payloads of each type of weapon and vehicle fire at their disposal.

See where any player or vehicle is located — players are marked as flashing team-colored dots, and each type of vehicle has its own characteristically shaped flashing icon indicating its position and which direction it's facing.

See whether a distant unoccupied vehicle or turret is unlocked — locked, unoccupied vehicles are drawn in a muted color indicating the team for which the vehicle is available, while unlocked vehicles bear a neutral color, indicating that they may be driven by either team.

See the health status of any player or vehicle — radar icons for players and occupied vehicles will flash with a particular brightness that tells how much health that player or vehicle has. Icons that oscillate between the team color and white indicate healthy players/vehicles, while icons that oscillate between the team color and black indicate ones that are nearly dead.

Visual enhancements added

See the connectivity status of any power node in the map — nodes that are linked to a team's link network will appear to pulsate on the radar map, while nodes that have not been fully built yet or have been isolated will be stationary.

Quickly see which nodes are open to attack — locked nodes appear partially faded on the radar map, while unlocked nodes are very brightly colored. So, in the heat of battle, your eye is drawn first toward those nodes that should be defended or attacked.

Quickly see the status of power cores — power cores pulsate on the radar map when vulnerable to attack, and similarly to several other graphic elements, graduate toward a black shade of the team color as health is removed.

Power node numbers are superimposed over node icons — numbers that identify power nodes on the radar map were originally positioned off to the side of their associated node icon. In order to eliminate confusion in maps with numerous or tightly clustered sets of power nodes (e.g., ONS-Maelstrom), number labels are now positioned directly on top of each node icon.

Other additions

Bells, whistles, and eye-candy — Unpowered, unlocked nodes flash with a gold-colored pulsating ring … Health bars visible atop power nodes and cores smoothly graduate from red to yellow to green as health is added (and vice versa), in similar fashion to those used for vehicles … Graphic elements in the large map in the game menu are scaled larger … Intro sequence plays when a level starts or whenever the radar map is switched off and back on.

Ridiculously subtle attention to detail — Unpowered, locked nodes flash softly … Powered, locked nodes flash and pulsate softly as well, and also alternate flashing patterns between the node icon and the health indicator brackets … Severed nodes bear the pulsating attack icon even if they haven't yet been connected to the link network.

Better default settings — The in-game minimap is moved all the way to the top right corner of the screen … the minimap's overhead terrain texture is set to appear semi-transparent … the minimap is enlarged slightly to a quarter-width of the screen … icon sizes are also enlarged slightly. (All default settings are editable in the main Settings menu, under HUD and Onslaught.)

Customization

Server admins (as well as single players) may control much of what is displayed on the radar map of clients, including whether to show teammate positions, occupied team vehicles, unoccupied vehicles, enemy positions, and enemy vehicles. Players may elect to revert back to the original radar map by pressing the F12 key, which now cycles between the enhanced "ONS Supreme HUD", the default Onslaught HUD, and switched off.

DOWNLOAD — Click here

There are always more improvements to make and cool stuff to add ... so please continue to leave any further suggestions and comments here, or at http://assclansniper.com/ONS. And many thanks to all those who have helped playtest this and have given feedback on it over the last few months: regulars of the Carcass Factory server, members of (A.S.S), and all the people who have posted about it in this forum ... your input and suggestions have helped a lot.

-Poker

Aha, played with a beta version on the Carcass server months ago, I liked it back then.

Comment

It is final, nice!

I like the changes this causes to the gameplay on public servers - it is rare to see people using VoIP to coordinate attacks. This mod helps big public games by giving players the opportunity to see where their team's vehicles are and what nodes have what health at a glance. I also thoroughly enjoy seeing the power nodes health numerically instead of a less informative health bar.

This mod actually has surprisingly little overhead as well. ONS-Maelstrom is a very demanding map CPU-wise, yet this mod when combined with it on a full 32 player server does not cause any problems. I am looking forward to seeing this on more servers!

Comment

Was the idea ever considered to allow an option to show large Node numbers hovering over the nodes? (As in, above the energy bar/numeric readout)

Comment

I wish there was a way to view the various link configurations of the maps before play in instant action.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet Otter
            I wish there was a way to view the various link configurations of the maps before play in instant action.
            Super easy, mate ... just bring up the game menu, pick "Map" at the top, and then pick "Link Designer" down in the bottom right corner.

Originally posted by JLsoft
            Was the idea ever considered to allow an option to show large Node numbers hovering over the nodes? (As in, above the energy bar/numeric readout)
            Ha, in fact, yes. Had to bite the bullet and leave that feature off, though, for a couple of reasons ... one, the need to just get the mod released was starting to severely outweigh the coolness of adding that as well as a couple other neat ideas into the mix ... and two, with that addition, it would start to become necessary to give the user a little GUI or something to pick and choose which stuff he/she wanted to see. All of that would have pushed it back another who-knows-how-long, and ... in the end, just had to save that for the next version.

Originally posted by hunterw
            It is final, nice!

I like the changes this causes to the gameplay on public servers - it is rare to see people using VoIP to coordinate attacks. This mod helps big public games by giving players the opportunity to see where their team's vehicles are and what nodes have what health at a glance. I also thoroughly enjoy seeing the power nodes health numerically instead of a less informative health bar.

This mod actually has surprisingly little overhead as well. ONS-Maelstrom is a very demanding map CPU-wise, yet this mod when combined with it on a full 32 player server does not cause any problems. I am looking forward to seeing this on more servers!
            Hehe, well it may sound silly but I should say, thanks for Maelstrom hunter ... it's been my #1 torture-test map when I've been dev'ing this.

Comment

Jeesh! I guess I shouldve known that already

thanks poker, and a kick *** radar youve made!

Comment

Pretty **** awesome work!

Comment

Originally posted by hunterw
                  - it is rare to see people using VoIP to coordinate attacks.
                  >.>

<.<

Comment

Does this work with any other ONS map?

Comment

Yep.

characterstomakethepostlonger

Comment

sweet I'l have to download it then.

Comment

I noticed a bit of a glitch in this otherwise most excellent product. After messing around with the link designer (opening and closing the link designer, changing, saving and opening link setups), some links and nodes would not be refreshed properly. I've had invisible nodes (I could still select them) and link setups that showed links and nodes used only in other link setups. Restarting the match did not fix the problem, restarting UT2004 did.

I was playing on ONS-theVine. The game was sometimes paused while I did this (using the freezeall console command).

Comment

Here's a screenie:

Looks like

Should have looked like

Comment

Hey Xyx,

You know, it actually looks like you caught that screenie while the radar map was in the middle of the intro sequence that plays when it's first displayed, either upon loading into the game or after you toggle it on or off with the F12 key. (The intro sequence is just a bit of eye candy ... when the radar map is turned on, each node icon sort of "pops up" on the map in its proper place, drawn in order, 1, 2, 3, etc.)

Now, in Instant Action mode, anytime you pull up the Escape menu it pauses the game, and subsequently the radar map will appear "frozen" in whatever state it's in, along with everything else in the game, meaning that it's possible some nodes might not be drawn yet. Not to mention if you're also freezing time in the level explicitly using the "freezeall" command. This is the reason I believe you're getting the odd looking renderings that you've posted.

There's a couple workarounds for this: you could just let the intro sequence play out by clearing the Escape menu and waiting for a few seconds as it continues to draw each node ... or you could use the as yet undocumented console command ToggleIntro — by default this is toggled "on", and when set to "off", it will cause the intro sequence to be skipped, and the nodes always to be displayed in their entirety.

Hope this helps ... if it doesn't, please let me know!

Comment

Working...
                              X