Credits
    -------

Programmer, Sound Effects, and Original Concept:
    -----------
    UT2004Addict
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...&userid=225286

With special help from:
    -----------------------
    BattleBike base model, animations, sounds, and textures all credit to Monarch
    http://www.planetunreal.com/monarch/

Most of the passenger weapon fire code thanks to the Halo team
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...highlight=halo

Most of the vehicle replace mutator thanks to Rens2Sea
    Rens2Serious@hotmail.com
    www.Rens2Sea.com

----------------------------------------------------------

Basic Capabilities
    ------------------

* Suck in & plow through troops with Turbo Boost.

* Shove enemy vehicles off the road with Turbo Boost.

* Charge into heavy fire, since the Turbo Boost reduces all incoming
    damage by 80%.

* Leave "Back To The Future" style flaming tire tracks with Turbo
    Boost. Flames will cling to troops and vehicles that cross!

* Blow out hovercraft blades, tank treads, and tires with Tire Grenades.

* Jump, spin, and Turbo Boost for extra maneuverability.

* The Lancer's passenger is free to fire as s/he pleases. Few
    other vehicles let you deliver a Redeemer with such style.

Playing with the Lancer
    -----------------------

Enough review -- let's talk about how to have a great time
    with this vehicle!

* Road Rampage: Dive through groups of troops with zeal.
    While boosting, the Lancer is almost impervious to damage.
    Enemy troops will get sucked in by the turbine and
    roadkilled, or at LEAST set on fire as you boost by.

* Boobytrap: Lay Tire Mines in an area traveled by enemy vehicles.
    An unsuspecting tank, hovercraft, or wheeled craft will soon
    become stranded away from the safety of a node, and force troops
    out into the open. Leave their flaming carcasses as examples
    to any other would-be challengers.

* Run 'em off the road: Enemy Mantas or Scorpions get tossed
    around in the wake of the Turbo Boost shockwave -- use this
    to push enemies off cliffs, into obstacles, etc. . Hellbenders
    are a little more resilient, but can still be pushed around
    with a careful approach.

* Impound: Visit an enemy power node, dropping off Tire Grenades
    as you go. They'll find their vehicles in ruins, useless for
    offense.

* Sucker!: If you have to abandon your Lancer, drop some Tire
    Grenades nearby; if an enemy steals your bike, the grenades will
    attack them immediately!

Fictional Intro
    ---------------

The Lancer made its introduction as a police motorcycle, allowing
    law enforcement to quickly disable criminal vehicles with its
    intelligent Tire Mine system. Superconducting magnets engage
    when the Turbo Boost is activated, giving this tiny bike enough
    hitting power to push most civilian vehicles off the road.
    Passengers can provide cover fire from the back of the
    bike with ease. Needless to say, the Lancer performed
    exceptionally well in urban environments.

It was quickly brought into military use for its speed, but
    engineers soon modified it for more of a combat role. The
    solid-rocket boosters were replaced with turbines, which could
    suck in nearby enemies. The partially-combusted exhaust from
    the new engines was redirected to the ground, which left perilous
    trails of fire in the Lancer's wake.

Experienced Lancer pilots constantly scold rookies for turning
    too sharply, especially on rocky terrain -- their lack of
    respect for the horsepower of the engine usually translates
    into ejection from the vehicle. On a flat straightaway, though,
    few things inspire more awe than a squadron of Lancers
    boosting head-on into an enemy charge.

Man thats a really smart motorcycle. I just can't wait to disable a scorpion
    I'm guessing the disabling wo'nt work for custom vehicles like the HaloUT vehicles.

Comment

Interesting vehicle, some observations:

Tried it out using the provided mutator on Torlan. Set up the mutator to replace Scorpions with the Lancer. In-game, no vehicles (at all) showed up, had to summon it through the console.

The flame effect in my opinion ought to be toned down some, it's lighting the ground on fire (presumably) not calling down a pillar of flame from the heavens. I lit the enemy bots on fire a few times but had a hard time getting them to die from it -- That's not a bad thing, but it was much more effective just to boost right at them and run them down.

Not a big fan of the "run them down" type of vehicles in general as footsoldiers already have a hard enough time, but the lower maneuverability than the Manta makes this a more interesting vehicle. A nice Shock Combo to the face might knock you away, but with the boost and its 80% damage reduction ... You get a second and a third shot, perhaps. Need to with some humans to be able to assess the balance here.

My tirebombs seemed to be deploying even though I wasn't actively fighting vehicles - I assume they're deploying on the nodes? Are those wasted, or will they go attack nearby enemy vehicles (assuming there are any)?

You kept the flip from the original Battlebikes -- To be honest, I hate the flip/jump. When you do it your vehicle becomes extremely floaty in an unrealistic fashion, with your center of gravity obviously off. The thing handles pretty darn well otherwise, so this flaw is frustrating to see perpetuated.

Comment

OMG ! what did you done to Battle Bike !!!

Comment

Originally posted by WailofSuicide
          Interesting vehicle, some observations:

Tried it out using the provided mutator on Torlan. Set up the mutator to replace Scorpions with the Lancer. In-game, no vehicles (at all) showed up, had to summon it through the console.
          Try using WoRm2k4 Motor Factory to get it, works when the mut doesn't.

Comment

Hi all -- thanks for the fast responses.

General question: Has the mutator worked for anyone so far? I have BattleBikes already installed, so there might be some conflict if that mod is missing.

WailOfSuicide:
            I can reduce the height of the flaming tire tracks easily. You're right, though -- the fire doesn't automatically kill troops that run through it. You need a few Lancers to make a truly lethal "cage" of flames -- if I turned the damage up so only one Lancer could take out troops, then 2 or 3 working together would be unstoppable.

In general, I agree with you regarding troops getting crushed -- they already have a hard enough time against vehicles. However, since the Lancer has NO ranged attack whatsoever, I figured it would be OK to let it roadkill fairly well. When fighting against the Lancer as a ground troop, you actually have a great advantage as long as you keep your distance.

You mentioned some problems with the Tire Mines deploying automatically??? I haven't seen anything of that nature. Can you elaborate on the circumstances under which you observed that behavior?

As for the flip / jump, I could change it so it only works while boosting -- however, I've noticed that a few maps have odd crevaces / corners that can easily trap a Lancer; without the jump, you're just stuck. I think it has something to do with the body / collission definition of the Lancer's frame, since I noticed similar strangeness when using the normal BattleBikes configuration.

BuffyTheSlayer: Thanks for the great photos!! You really are the "unnofficial professional photographer" for UT2004.

Comment

The package is missing BattleBikes.u. I can't summon the bike, since I do not have BattleBikes. That's why you should release a beta first.

Comment

Originally posted by legacy-buffytheslayer
                Nice screenshots there. I use to use these bikes a year ago or something on my Invasion server. That was crazy, but this fire is new.

~Death Dream~

Comment

Whoa, these new smilies are evil.

The mutator is still called "Cerberus". Bit of a copy/paste error, I suppose.

Really, beta first!

Comment

What the...?????

Originally posted by Xyx
                    Whoa, these new smilies are evil.

The mutator is still called "Cerberus". Bit of a copy/paste error, I suppose.

Really, beta first!

Ooh, new forums!

Xyx: ??????????? I just double-checked the source file, and there's no mention of the word "cerberus" anywhere in there. The mutator shows up as "Lancer" in my mutator list just fine.

Yeah, beta first from now on -- just to be sure 'bout weird stuff.

Comment

Hey man ... been meaning to say that I am glad you found some use for our vehicle passenger code (this particular bit of code is courtesy the hard work of Magnum) and the credit is much appreciated and thanks again for your help with the Scorpion mutator. The bike is pretty cool ... should be interesting to see what how creative you get with UT2K7.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubanUT2
                        Hey man ... been meaning to say that I am glad you found some use for our vehicle passenger code (this particular bit of code is courtesy the hard work of Magnum) and the credit is much appreciated and thanks again for your help with the Scorpion mutator. The bike is pretty cool ... should be interesting to see what how creative you get with UT2K7.

Yo

Hey, no prob with the scorp stuff. I tried a few different approaches for the passenger thing on my own, but Magnum's had some obvious benefits. BTW, I tweaked it out a little bit to allow for passenger-driver switching, and resolved the persistent gun glitch. I'll be happy to pass the code your way if you're interested.

Laters!

UT2004Addict

Comment

Originally posted by UT2004Addict
                          Yo

Hey, no prob with the scorp stuff. I tried a few different approaches for the passenger thing on my own, but Magnum's had some obvious benefits. BTW, I tweaked it out a little bit to allow for passenger-driver switching, and resolved the persistent gun glitch. I'll be happy to pass the code your way if you're interested.

Laters!

UT2004Addict
                          Sounds good ... I'm sure the current haloUT team would love to use that code and the users will be happy ... probably best to post that you have the code on the current CXP thread and let 717, the lead programmer for HaloUT, know and he may be able to roll this into the rumored P1.752 release. Thanks again. Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubanUT2
                            Sounds good ... I'm sure the current haloUT team would love to use that code and the users will be happy ... probably best to post that you have the code on the current CXP thread and let 717, the lead programmer for HaloUT, know and he may be able to roll this into the rumored P1.752 release. Thanks again. Peace.

Ah. Which forum / thread is this again? Didn't see it in the new "Full Release" thread. If you have a URL or a destination address, I can just pass on the code to you guys. It's all commented, so you can see what's up.

UT2004Addict

Comment

I went ahead and let the current team know so you'll probably be hearing from someone soon. Again thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X