No announcement yet.

CTF-DG-PineRidge by DGUnreal [pics & download]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yay, I give critical feedback on a map and in no time at all I'm being called an attention *****....gg.

Comment

Originally posted by A_Spec
      yay, I give critical feedback on a map and in no time at all I'm being called an attention *****....gg.
      Who says that was critical feedback. In your oppinion it was, but maybe for example someone else thinks the possition of the flags is great and the mapsize is stunning. You're so convinsed about what you say that you don't seem to understand you can hurt someone with the things you say. Not trying to crapp this thread of someone else...so last words from my side.

Comment

Originally posted by Noname
        Who says that was critical feedback.
        I do. I look at a map and supply critque which is the whole point of this forum to begin with.

Comment

A map with hills and a few trees how fantastic.:noob:

Comment

Thanks for keeping this post active guys (seriously). :up:
            Even bad press is still press.

Don't everyone flame A_Spec, I respect his opinion.
            I don't think I've made a map yet that he has liked, so I look at this as a challenge to eventually get a map sometime in the future that he likes.
            He does give me additional points for review and for consideration, and I always try to take everyone's points and use them to better my mapping style.

I do have my own unique mapping designs, so I know that I will always have people who love or hate my maps. I tend to map quite differently than most other people.

A_Spec: It also creates a huge zone to flag camp.

It is fully pathed, so while it does give you more area to run with the flag, it is difficult to hide.
            I do agree that it can be at times difficult to give your flag-carrier teammate any assistance as it is a lot of map area to try to locate him at.

A_Spec: With mapsize I meant the whopping 23mb's of filesize.

Yes, I agree it is a large file. Partially due to the 256x256 terrain, which is larger than most for this style of game, but was necessary for the terrain detail.
            The average UT2004 retail CTF is 16MB (uncompressed). The largest is AbsoluteZero (a similar larger scale map) at 44MB.
            I'll work on this.

A_Spec: It just seems rather awkward that all weapons are spawning ontop of each other instead being dispersed throughout the map.

This I don't follow. Looking at the Overhead, the weapons are scattered well around the map along logical path areas, with less than half of the weapons in the spawn region.
            But no need to reply, I'm not trying to debate you.

A_Spec: there's more then just tree's in a forrest; Rocks, cliffs, and creeks.

There is a reasonable (and visually accurate) number of rocks.
            Cliffs would change the map style.
            Adding additional textures and meshes to supply visuals such as cliffs and creeks would increase the file size by another significant amount, something already stated as a drawback to the map -- I would have to do a considerable map redesign to find ways to reduce the map size (this is something I am working on since my maps do tend to be large files).
            My three remarks here are not to be taken argumentatively, your points are well considered, in fact they do bring to mind other possible designs for future maps.

A_Spec: I just think it was quite an a$$holish way

That was not my intent, and my apologies.

Xyx: Have you considered a "happy medium" with sheet collision

I will try a modified convex cylinder collision to see how that works.
            It will be reasonably easy and quick to implement, but in order to alleviate any issues with shooting through branches, the collision hull will be slightly smaller than the outer edges of the branches. This should simulate the fact that branch tips would bend, and would not stop players or all projectiles.
            And by still allowing line-collision to be per-poly, certain projectiles such as rifle will still have the original mesh shape as their collision layout.

Xyx: Please keep producing these awesome maps!

Thanks, and I do plan to keep mapping.
            My comment was only in response to whether I would continue to post release threads on these forums.
            I will continue to do so, but I will try to curb my responses of describing my design decisions, as that seems to be taken incorrectly by various people who may think that it is defending, when I do not mean it to sound that way. I am merely informing the person as to why I made specific design decisions.
            As I mentioned previously, I openly take any comments. I may not be able to implement anything stated by others in the current released map, but for future mapping it does give me food for thought.

NoName: DG made quite a nice map here.

Thanks. I'm glad that you like the map.

Comment

You're so convinsed about what you say that you don't seem to understand you can hurt someone with the things you say.
              :haha: :haha: :haha: You aren't serious are you? Let me say this again ... these are the Atari Forums and all the regulars here know how most people act ... this ain't a church and it isn't Oprah or some feel good show ... if people can't take what is said on these forums (within the rules of course) then they shouldn't post ... and if you think that a post is so bad then report it and see what happens ... 9 times out of 10 nothing will happen because ONCE AGAIN these are open public forums and the choice to particapate is always up to the person. And anyway some people need to hear tough critiques to really motivate them ... maybe you aren't one of them ... if that is the case then you probably don't want to post any of your beginning maps on this site or on Nali City.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal
                Thanks for keeping this post active guys (seriously). :up:
                Even bad press is still press.
                anytime mate. :up:

Comment

you only post your comments at the quite good maps so IMO your just an attention *****.
                  One could also assume that A_Spec considers this map worthy of feedback, and that constructive criticism is better than "I like it"...

Comment

Without meaning to mix into any of the previous stated stuff, I agree with A_Spec to a large extent. The map (and I absolutely have to hand it to you, you have great insight to create this) looks stunning visually. The looks make the map feel very real. Props for that.

My personal opinion about gameplay for this map however isn't that praising. I find the map to be way too open (with the argument that you can take someone out almost on a distance that equals 1/3 of the entire map length, turning the close combat weapons into worthless tools), the layout to be too random to have a set set of routes that can be used in a strategic way (with the argument that it is one big terrain which has no really defined 'routes' to go on), the collision (yes I know it's been discussed already) of the trees unbalance stuff (flagruns are too easy, chasing is too hard, taking someone out who's walking through a tree littered area is close to impossible) and the item/weapon placement seems to be quite random as well.
                    Note that these things I've mentioned all hamper a chance for this map to be played by serious CTF players. It can be played to a good extend on public fun servers, where players only go for the actual playing online, not the playing of the gametype.

The visual side was a treat, but chances are I'll never even open the map ingame again, just because I don't find I can have a serious CTF match in this one. DG, I would love to see a map on your name that has as high gameplay merit as your maps have visual finesse. I hope my post isn't too offensive, I surely don't mean to harm the feelings of DGUnreal.

Comment

Yes and I have played your maps Sjosz and they have no game play at all, so don’t come across the big I am when your just as bad.

Comment

Originally posted by D1zzy
                        Yes and I have played your maps Sjosz and they have no game play at all, so don’t come across the big I am when your just as bad.
                        D1zzy, if you have a problem with me in person, resort to PMs, not this. DGUnreal did not make a map thread for it to be used as an area to vent your differences with others. Stay on topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Sjosz
                          you can take someone out almost on a distance that equals 1/3 of the entire map length, turning the close combat weapons into worthless tools)
                          *tries to imagine what the map would be like without hitscan weapons*

Comment

Working...
                          X