DGUnreal - latest map ONS-TCMP-DG-Meadowland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Here's another mirror for ya. And let me know when you release the 32p version too and I'll get another for it too.

the musnet.com

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Those screenshots really are pretty...
    http://www.unreal.ie/dl/maps/ons/ONS...Meadowland.zip

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Beautiful terrain and skybox dude, just beautiful.

EDIT: Just read that the skybox is from someone else. Either way, great visuals. Downloading now.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey buffy, Titan-tested map version is on its way. Hopefully released in a couple of days.

Hey Xyx, ROFL on your comments, and I don't mean that sarcastically. :up:
    I really enjoyed your post and your totally honest comments.

This map is originally from some terrain and deco tests that I am doing under UE2 and UE3. It was nothing but a map with terrain, skybox, decos, and 1 playerstart. Pretty to look at and walk around in. Everyone at the studio here thought it looked really cool and should be a map. So I quickly threw something together (I'm busy doing other level design and programming projects so I haven't much time for community mapping right now). It was never designed for large online multi-player simply due to the hi-res hi-poly terrain. The original UV scale of the terrain was pushing 120k to 150k polys in the frustum.
    So I set it as a 6 to 12 player map originally, hence some of the wacky decisions (like charging a node by yourself). Most of the current game component layout would never work in a large online battle.
    As a 6 to 12 player map, it plays quite fun. I have a LAN in the studio here, so we team play everything that goes out.

The Titan ONS folks like the map, so I am graciously modifying it for them, however, there are minor flaws such as framerate issues due to the hi-res terrain and decos, and some camping/sniping spots.
    I'm working on methods of incorporating good game play and layout with algorithmic terrain generation, so future terrain maps should be really cool.

The changes I am making on the new -32p version should allow for decent online large-team playing with proper balance.
    Nodes has been increased to 9, new Link setups, Vehicle and Weapon loadouts have been modified, various map optimizations for larger player counts, etc.

I'll post to this thread when it is available for download.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Gave it a try. It's a work of art, but several gameplay flaws seriously lower its replay value.

Masterful bots didn't put up much of a fight, but weren't any more stupid than I'm used to. They knew their way around and seemed to use all vehicles decently. No complaints here.

The terrain is beautiful, realistic and fun to drive around on. It would be a shame to put more than a few Mantas in this map. An abundance of Mantas would forego the offroad fun.

I can't honestly believe the link setups have been properly playtested (unless it's by the people that also playtested the ECE setups...). With the exception of one (which is unfortunately not the default), all setups are races to the enemy primary node, after which destroying the enemy core is but a formality. The same type of gameplay that most of Epic's maps suffer from.

The locker loadouts also make me raise an eyebrow...

210 link ammo? Heavens forbid I should be unable to charge a node all by myself...

Shock/Sniper/Lightning Gun? Why even bother including any other weapons after that? I wouldn't use them anyway. The terrain lends itself to hitscan a bit too well, in my humble opinion. The game would be more fun without turning every encounter into a snipefest.

12 Spider Mines at the primary nodes? This only helps prevent the losing team from ever getting their node back.

Hmm... on closer inspection, it appears that every single locker gives every single weapon with tons of ammo! Where's the fun in that!? I know there are people that whine when a locker does not contain a Shock Rifle or AVRiL, but come on, hunting for weapons is a part of the game. Being forced to work with what you are given is part of the game, and leads to interesting situations.

Many nodes can be seen from (almost literally) miles away, and can be shot down with link or rockets without the opposing team being able to do much about it. Since the nodes stick out over hilltops, you can fire at them without enemies being ablt to return fire. Even running up the hills to snipe the attacker takes a lot of time and effort. You (mostly) solved this issue for the cores by placing them in a copse of trees. I suggest the same treatment for the nodes. At least block the longest lines of sight.

To summarize, I suggest:
    • No shock, lightning or sniper.
    • Two-way default link setup.
    • Varied locker loadouts.
    • Go easy on the ammo.
    • No more than two or so Mantas.
    • More SPMAs, HellBenders, Paladins. Perhaps even a toothless Leviathan (I'd help you make it).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    really Beautiful map !

thank you ! :heart: :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I am working on a version of this map by request of the Titan folks.
    The new version will be released under a different name (-32p) and will support 32 players, have a full compliment of ground vehicles (Scorpion, Manta, Hellbender, Goliath, Palladin, SPMA), nine Nodes total with new link setups, and modified Weapon Lockers.
    It's in beta right now, and I'll post a notice here when it is released.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by A_Spec
    Unreal maps should always be tested in an on-line, pvp environment. Stil. I see your side of things and thanks for a map.
    In my post I was referring to test playing on the LAN in my studio, with human players on our dev team, and bots to fill out to various team totals.

Originally posted by musilowski
    Wanna tell me how you made the terrain, looks **** ace?
    I use a combination of four software applications including one that is custom software that I wrote. Unfortunately I am not releasing it to the general mapping community. This specific map is only using a fraction of the total capabilities of the software. Future map terrains will be even higher detail and quality.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wanna tell me how you made the terrain, looks **** ace?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DGUnreal

During beta our team played this map for many hours with bots at various levels.
    Unreal maps should always be tested in an on-line, pvp environment. Stil. I see your side of things and thanks for a map.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks DGUnreal

Come and say hi in the Meadowlands thread on Titan for some more direct feedback as we go, and we can help you bash out a 32p ver :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    FYI, due to popular demand and many requests, I will be making a modified version of this map for larger ONS team play, such as Titan ONS.
    I'll post to this thread when it is released.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Axeman3173
    Another absolutely great map, DG. Your work is very polished and fun to play. Great job.
    -Axe
    Thanks Axe.
    How's your latest map coming? I guess we didn't sync on a dual release...

Originally posted by Alopexau
    Best. Terrain. Ever. That skybox is stunning too. I'd love a VCTF map done like this.
    Thanks.
    I usually make VCTF's out of my ONS maps, so expect a VCTF of Meadowland sometime in the near future.
    Expect even better terrains in my future maps.

Originally posted by A_Spec
    Well....I just played it and it has some major flaws... bots are just retarded, overall not a bad map but not out of this world.
    Is there any UT map that is out of this world? I've never seen any map that I would classify as a 10/10. I personally give this map a 7.5/10.
    Bots are retarded in all maps. Everyone already knows that. There is AI issues in the engine/scripting. During beta our team played this map for many hours with bots at various levels. Try a match with Godlike bots and see how long you last... The bots do well enough.
    Well, you can't please everybody.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well....I just played it and it has some major flaws... bots are just retarded, overall not a bad map but not out of this world.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Best. Terrain. Ever. That skybox is stunning too. I'd love a VCTF map done like this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X