• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Noxious-Fumes

Name: DM-Noxious-Fumes
    Version: 1.0
    Compatibility: UT2004

ATTENTION PLEASE: I have been convinced to work on a bugfix release. Downloading the current version may be pointless unless you want to give me more feedback. There is a discussion about what should be changed and what not. Feel free to join

Description: "Noxious Fumes" is a medium sized deathmatch map targeted at hardcore players. It
    features one wildcard pickup in the center of the map, all weapons except super
    weapons, three pits, three height levels, three multi-directional jump pads, one
    per pit, and lots of space to move.

Comments: I began "Noxious Fumes" immediately after the release of DM-Sweet-Death. At that
    time it was already obvious, that "Sweet Death" would not be received very well,
    at least gameplay-wise (see http://insite.beyondunreal.com/map.php?id=1107).

Knowing that I had to change my process of map-making, I decided to begin with
    gameplay first. I whipped up a fully pathed prototype, let people at the
    Atari forums playtest it during an extended Alpha period, and after a consensus was
    reached, I froze gameplay ...
    but read the full story at my website http://purl.oclc.org/NET/advman/maps/

Screenshot:

You find more screenshots and more on construction principles on my homepage.

Credits: Based on good advice in the forum threads Which maps do you like for their FLOW ??? and What makes a good Deathmatch map?

Original music "Taiko Overtone Quartet" by ON ENSEMBLE used according to its Creative Commons License

Textures "bricklined9" and "basemetal2" from "HourIndusX", "grint" from "HourPitores" by Hourences used with kind permission.

Homepage: http://purl.oclc.org/NET/advman/maps/

Download:

http://www.unrealplayground.com/maps.php?mapid=10209

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=3487

Submission to levels4you is currently pending.

wow... CoLoRz

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: this map looks nice. dling now

Comment

Originally posted by BaymoJoe1563
      wow... CoLoRz

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: this map looks nice. dling now
      Yeah, one could call it a tad gaudy

Hope you like playing it as well!

Comment

Wow, this is an awsome map. Whichever way you made it. definately churns out nice maps. keep up the godly work.

Comment

Additional Mirrors

Now listed on Mapraider with three additional mirrors. We're also testing out our new, FAST, direct downloads, so be sure to give it a try. No reg required.

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=3487

Edit: FileFront mirror has now been added.

Comment

Layout and gameplay looks real nice indeed, but I'm worried about detail...

Comment

Originally posted by Kinetik
              Wow, this is an awsome map. Whichever way you made it. definately churns out nice maps. keep up the godly work.
              Thanks a lot! Regarding keeping up, well, traffic on the forums amd download numbers on Unreal Playground (I checked for maps from roughly the last month) made me think this would be probably my last map with this engine. Comments like your's may very well change my mind

Originally posted by kiddailey
              Note: We've also added the file to our FileFront mirror, but it's not showing up in the system yet. We'll add the third Mapraider mirror as soon as it does.
              WOW! That was fast! Thank you :up: :up: :up:

You guys make my day. I'm really considering another map

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolaz
                Layout and gameplay looks real nice indeed, but I'm worried about detail...
                Performance-wise? Have you already tried it?

If framerates are too low for you, I really would be interested in your hardware. Not that I could do anything about it, it's too late for that now, but it would be good to know for the next map. For me on an Athlon XP 3000+ the map seems more or less CPU-bound, but that's on fairly high-end graphics hardware.

I could have waited some more days before releasing, but the beta-thread got no feedback any more, so it would have made no difference. In any case I'd really care for your feedback. Thanks.

Comment

No, I actually meant there isn't a whole lot of detail in this map. I mean, you've got that graffiti (very nice by the way), but it's still painted on flat BSP surfaces. I'm missing trim and props in this map...

Comment

No, I actually meant there isn't a whole lot of detail in this map. I mean, you've got that graffiti (very nice by the way), but it's still painted on flat BSP surfaces. I'm missing trim and props in this map...
                    Ah, I see. Well, there actually is a whole lot of detail, it's only not where it could be in your way

Where would you expect additional trim? All horizontal edges are trimmed, vertical trim is not the style of this map. And what do you mean by "props"? Did I miss something?

Comment

(shots removed to save webspace)

Also, I'm missing props like barrels, crates, ... (just things you'd find in the area) everywhere.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to break down your map (I couldn't do a much better job myself, especially with the texture usage); I'm only trying to help by pointing out what could've been better...

Comment

... shots omitted ...

Also, I'm missing props like barrels, crates, ... (just things you'd find in the area) everywhere.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to break down your map (I couldn't do a much better job myself, especially with the texture usage); I'm only trying to help by pointing out what could've been better...
                        Wow! That was detailed :up:

You are undisputedly right on the vertex lighting issue. The blocking volumes under the ramp, well, I've considered them but I would have had to change the look of the ramp as well, because I really hate being blocked for no visible reason. Didn't want to do that. But I should certainly have pathed a way out for the bots

Everything else are things I consider being part of the map's style. That's something you either like or not. I have always been a big fan of the wonderful QIIIA maps that came out of Nunuk's Geometry Challenge. Not that I would compare my humble map to those works of art, but it was a dedicated goal to have a low texture count and make up for that with graffiti.

Barrels, crates, etc, well, during the Alpha phase people asked me explicitly to not put any static meshes in their way. As a consequence, all decoration is below the ceiling or flat on the walls. It was a design decision.

For more about the design considerations and the consequences I had to face during construction please have a look at the map's history and construction log.

Thanks for your interest and the time you've invested. Seems like I should download your new map and do the same

Comment

I'm glad you appreciate my feedback. And you did do a good job on the theme you mentioned, as I said in one of the screenshots; the map feels very nice and clean; my only problem was that that feeling turned more into "simplistic" after a while. Anyway, it's a nice map, I adore the layout and that's what you focused on; meaning you succeeded.

Comment

Anyway, it's a nice map, I adore the layout and that's what you focused on; meaning you succeeded.
                            Thanks again. I just had a look on DM-Sirtek. It's a nice map and - just from watching the bots - seems to play very well. What I didn't like was, you guess it, the looks

Now I know what kind of trim you mean. It's everywhere in your map and it's done well, but IMHO there is a texturing issue. I'll carry on in your own thread, though

Comment

Nice looking map with a fun layout.:up:

Ok as Nicolaz said it does have issues but detail hardly makes a map know does it?

Comment

Working...
                              X