Compatibility: UT 2004
    Description:Multi-Weapon Air Defence Vehicle
    Comments:
    Screenshot:
    Credits:
    Homepage:
    Download:

The Air Defense Truck can be downloaded HERE

This is the Air Defense Truck. It is an early beta, but is completely functional. Each of it's 3 turret positions can be fitted with one of 5 turrets by means of the mutator configuration menu. There is no replacement function in the mutator, it is only present to facilitate the configuration menu, it will have to be added to a map with the Master of Factories mod, or some other vehicle-replacing mod. It's package/Class name is AirDef.AirDef for summoning. I am also seeking a texturer to help with this project. I have laid out all the UVs, and done a few of the smaller, simpler textures, but the truck and the turrets still need textures. The turrets all have the same UVMapping for their common parts (Base, Controls, Seat) to make texturing easier.

Turrets Available:
    1) 76mm AA Cannon
    2) Quad 20mm Cannons
    3) .88 Mag Rotory Cannon
    4) Heat Seeking Missile Launcher
    5) Tazer Emitter
    I am also looking for suggestions for additional weapons.

known issues:
    exiting turrets ofthe causes player to end up inside truck's geometry.
    Turret Entry/Exit positions not yet calculated/coded
    Has not yet been tested for network play.
    None of the vehicle or weapon models have been textured yet.

Hey, cool stuff! Four peaple in one truck, that's pretty darn sweet!

Some Suggestions;[list=1][*]Make the weapons itself larger, so they look more impressive [*]Texture. But I see you're working on that already. [/list=1]

Good luck dude, keep it up! :up:

Comment

Looks good! :up:

Ok, apart from the skin, but I can accept that it isn't finished by any means. I wouldn't say it's quite Epic/ECE Quality, but it's definitely a keeper for my massive inventory of vehicles.

EDIT: Weapons;

Anti-Air Heavy Flak Cannon (fires a shell that explodes into a spray of flak shards on proximity/timer)

Skymine Cannon (basically the Hellbender sideseat gun)

Recoilless Cannon (Goliath Cannon, but a lot weaker)

Comment

Just tried it;

Very, very good. The Quad-Cannon needs bigger hit effects, IMO, and the rocket launcher reload sound is awesome. It definitely needs a "beefier" sounding engine, as I can barely make it out over the constant fire of the chaingun. Otherwise, a customisable, useful antiair unit.

I don't suppose it'd be possible to make all of the guns aimable at ground units? The bots try to fire on ground units with the guns (the only one of which can do so is the Rocket Launcher) which means they spend their time shooting at targets they can't hit. :bored:

Otherwise, very good, nicely balanced (health/speed) and the gun models are very nicely done. You might want to fix a bug with the chaingun though, I found it's possible to fire the secondary at the same rate as the primary if you hold both firebuttons down. (I'm not sure about the inaccuracy or the controllability though.)

With a good skin, this could go far.

Oh, and on the setup for it, you need to wrap the text around more. It cuts off on my screen.

Comment

Anti-Air Heavy Flak Cannon (fires a shell that explodes into a spray of flak shards on proximity/timer)
          Yea, that's one I've been thinking about.

Skymine Cannon (basically the Hellbender sideseat gun)
          I'll have to check it out, I've not played with the 'bender much.

Recoilless Cannon (Goliath Cannon, but a lot weaker)
          That's Turret Option 1. In case you missed it, check out the config mutator.

I don't suppose it'd be possible to make all of the guns aimable at ground units? The bots try to fire on ground units with the guns (the only one of which can do so is the Rocket Launcher) which means they spend their time shooting at targets they can't hit.
          The rearmost turret can fire upon ground troops. It's set up the way it is so it's vunerable from the front, and so one doesn't shoot the vehicle itself. I need to look into bot AI to get that one straightened out. If anyone has an idea of how to go about doing so, please let me know.

You might want to fix a bug with the chaingun though, I found it's possible to fire the secondary at the same rate as the primary if you hold both firebuttons down. (I'm not sure about the inaccuracy or the controllability though.)
          Good catch. I'll deal with it today. Thanks everyone.

Comment

I didn't check out option number 1. I subconciously had it set up like in your screenshots. @ me.

Good idea about the rear gun... gotta switch that for the chaingun next time I play, much better against infantry and other vehicles. The RL is fairly inaccurate, unfortunately. (even when I lock on)

Comment

The RL is fairly inaccurate, unfortunately. (even when I lock on)
              I'll have to check that out. I know the missiles will drive themselves into the terrain if one goes around a corner to avoid them, but they've always tracked OK for me. was it the primary swarm of missiles, or the secondary missile?

Comment

I tested this, and I first have to say: Good job - this is a keeper. And on top of that, let other vehicle-designers take note: This vehicle-customization mutator is a godsend! It lets the end-user pick how powerful they want the vehicle to be. Hallelujah and GREAT idea!

I might decrease the turning radius just a little bit, unless you intended for it to take such wide corners. On the wrong board, it could be a real pain to navigate.

I love that taser, too - although how powerful is it? It seemed pretty easy to get some quick kills, and at fairly decent distances. Maybe a rate-of-fire panel in the mutator for that would be nice...

...I didn't realize that the ground-firing ability was tied to the rear turret position; I thought it was because I had the taser selected in that slot. But a necessary idea, otherwise the players would have to bail to defend at close range.

:up:

Comment

Originally posted by ghouck
                  I'll have to check that out. I know the missiles will drive themselves into the terrain if one goes around a corner to avoid them, but they've always tracked OK for me. was it the primary swarm of missiles, or the secondary missile?
                  Primary. They couldn't even turn fast enough to hit a Goliath (admittedly, it was in front of the truck, but they had a clear line to it, apart from the turn)

Comment

Primary. They couldn't even turn fast enough to hit a Goliath (admittedly, it was in front of the truck, but they had a clear line to it, apart from the turn)
                    Keep in mind that the missile launcher is set up like the Rocket Launcher, not like the avril. You have to lock on BEFORE you fire, not track the vec after you fire.

I love that taser, too - although how powerful is it? It seemed pretty easy to get some quick kills, and at fairly decent distances. Maybe a rate-of-fire panel in the mutator for that would be nice...
                    In addition to all the other things that haven't been completed, I haven't tweaked the damage settings much.

Very, very good. The Quad-Cannon needs bigger hit effects, IMO, and the rocket launcher reload sound is awesome. It definitely needs a "beefier" sounding engine, as I can barely make it out over the constant fire of the chaingun. Otherwise, a customisable, useful antiair unit.
                    I haven't coded all the hit effects I want yet, That'll be one of the first things I get on after work. As for the engine sound, I'll adjust the volume on it. Funny thing is, you say the engine needs a "beefier" sound? The engine sound effect is the sound of a Top-Fuel Dragster. Doesn't get much beefier that that

Comment

Yeah, needs to be louder is what I mean. I can barely hear it over the chaingun

And I was locked onto the Goliath at the time.

Comment

OK, an updated package can be found HERE

Fixes:
                        Fixed tracking of primary fire of homing missiles.
                        Adjusted Engine Sound Volume.
                        Adjusted ranges/damage of Tazer (Secondary is devistating at close range).

Added:
                        Flak Rocket (Turret Option 6)
                        DamageTypes

I checked out the rotory cannon. It is firing primary when both fire buttons are held, and it is firing it at the primary firerate.

FYI: Not sure if anyone picked up on this, but the homing missiles (primary and secondary) can be destroyed by weapon fire.

Known issues:
                        Still working on vehicle and turret skins.
                        FlakRocket Launcher has zoom function (not sure if I want to change this or not)
                        Many sounds and effects not completed.

Comment

Haven't had a chance to properly test the Flak Rocket yet, but it certainly sounds nifty from the mutator description.

Comment

OK, The newest beta version can be found HERE

Fixes:
                            Adjust turning Radius
                            Fixed (I Hope) the config screen wordwrap issue.
                            Fixed the collision staticmesh

Added:
                            Textures for vehicle. (Still not happy with them, and still looking for a Texturer).
                            More Sounds

Comment

*bump*

Comment

Working...
                              X