Land Raider Helios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doc Shock
    First off, congratulations for this already great vehicle.
    Thanks! Both for the kind words and the thorough review.

the Land Raider should replace the Leviathan instead of the Goliath.
    The prototype I received replaced the Goliath, and I did not think to change this, partly because the Leviathan is found in so very very few maps, partly because I considered the Helios slightly more balanced than the Leviathan.

Rather than arbitrarily replacing one vehicle, I'll see if I can extend the mutator to allow for a replaced vehicle choice.

You should really make the missile turret a passenger seat again
    And I suspect I will, for the purposes of freeing up some controls for the driver.

so that the driver controls the bolter with primary fire
    The somewhat useless front camera is a specific Helios "feature", so I could not replace it with a bolter. It could be considered to be merely a passenger seat with a "better" view.

Dks and me will be working on the other three Land Raider types (MKIII, Crusader, Prometheus) as well for the next beta, so you'll see the bolter return in another role.

jump could be a short speed boost, straight forward, with no steering ability while boosting.
    This sounds like the Machine Spirit special rule the Helios has... except that the Machine Spirit does not provide a speed boost but merely forces the vehicle onwards in a straight line when the crew is stunned. Crew is never stunned in UT, but I suppose that if I set it to go on auto-forward, you could man a lascannon while still getting somewhere. It would not be the most useful feature ever, but it would be authentic.

Maybe the turret could still fire while driving (to give the gunner at least someting to do while the tank is moving) but it would require twice the time to be ready to fire, and be less accurate than it already is. That way you wouldn't even need a brake. I know a normal whirlwind has to stand still to fire, but that is because whirlwinds have a small rhino-chassis, I imagine that a Land Raider could well handle it the way I described it.
    The Helios is bound by the same rules as the Whirlwind, I fear, so the Whirlwind operator will have to switch to another seat to contribute while driving (what are you doing loading half your team into one vehicle anyway? ). I'll raise the movement threshold a little so you don't lose your ability to fire just because something smacks into you.

The aiming system could be changed from gravity-affected to a real parabolic curve, that would look more like the behaviour of guided missiles.
    I'll be going for actual guided missiles next time. Ideally, I would paint a crosshair on the overhead map that you'd move around using the mouse (left-right rotates around you, up-down moves it in or out) or simply using the arrow keys. I'm not sure if this is possible within the scope of my time and abilities, but it is what I would most want the targeting system to be like.

In the SPMA, the angle of the turret is calculated by the position of the aiming reticle, here it's exactly the other way round.
    I believe that even in the SPMA, you aim the barrel to move the reticle. It's just not as apparent.

You could also add two more passenger seats to the Helios, a Land Raider is a troop carrier after all. When exiting those, you leave through the front door, otherwise you can enter and exit from the outside like in a regular UT vehicle.
    Slightly more ambitious even, I hope the next version will have side doors as well as the front door and some benches inside.

I plan to bind each door to a number key in the same manner the seats are. Pressing Use while sitting on a bench would simply make you stand up and be able to walk around inside, but pressing any of the door keys would make you stand up and open the door for you. Doors would auto-close after several seconds.

Along the same lines, if you are outside the vehicle and press Use, the nearest door would drop open to allow you entry. Once inside you would press Use again to enter the first unoccupied seat.

While on this subject... I will also reinstate the old driver's position in the top manhole. Upon closer examination of several Helios models, this manhole appears not to be suited to stand in and shoot stuff. This would of course expose the driver to headshots, but such is life. Send complaints to Forge World.

have you found a texturing artist by now?
    Discmage of the UT40K will skin it as soon as the model is final.

Comment

Xyx, I keep forgetting that this one is a beta.... it's SO well done!

Comment

Very very good. I remember this before i died and never came on looks as though it is still coming on and it looks brilliant. Downloaded already :P you should make like a warhammer map with like the warhammer guns, vehicles, MAPS-like...

Comment

Dead... yes and no. It has been given something of a second life in UT40K. Check it out. If you liked this, you'll like what they've done.

Comment

There also is a UT40K Mod I love this vehicle! :up:

I don't have the AnimGifs anymore, if anybody could send them to me, i'd host them again...

EDIT: Xyx beat me

Comment

Just a word, you know that it can carry troops, well you all have to get in before the driver gets in, there should be like an open\close door control. Then you could like go pick up troops and go drop em off.

Comment

You can get in by the side doors (if you're lucky) or through the hatch on the roof. If UT40K did what I suggested, the side doors should work well.

Comment

awesome but... i think the skin leaves a little to be desired...id like to do a skin for this. im not an experienced skinner but im very experienced with photoshop and i used to play wh40k... id most likely make the idle tank black templars with blue and red being ultra marines and blood angels respectively... if you could make an unwrapped UVmap of the skin with the parts of the tank fairly clearly labelled id love to give it a go!

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx
                    I bow to your superior experience in this matter. I'll try to switch to the Goliath system in the next beta.
                    woah, never heard YOU say something like that ^......cool.:noob:

Comment

I always wanted this vehicle from the time it was first shown as an untextured render, looks like you've done a good job getting it in game.

Comment

I wish I could see it skinned... but the UT40K people keep the mod rather inaccessible.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx
                          I wish I could see it skinned... but the UT40K people keep the mod rather inaccessible.
                          Huh? AfaIk the Helios and its various alterations were in the latest public UT40K beta, haven't you tried it? Their skins are not really impressive, but they look decent.

Comment

Fileplanet, exe installer... no way I'm installing that. Somebody get me a zip, rar or umod from a free download site and I'll install.

Comment

Give me your email, and I'll send you a zip file.

Comment

i see u revived this year old thread Xyx

Comment

Working...
                                X