Land Raider Helios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ambulance
    it no worky i put all of the stuff in the right places but it doesnt show up in the mutators list or carlaucher
    Strange... it worked for others. Anyone else having this problem?

You can also do this:
    • Press ~ (tilde) to open the console window.
    • type summon onsmat.landraiderh to spawn the Helios.
    • Press Escape to close the console.

Comment

Originally posted by extanker
      I have to correct your logic about tracked vehicle steering though. (by my screenname, you could probably tell I've driven a few) In an M1, when you turn the controls left, the tank holds the left side track in place or slows it down which causes the tank to turn left. If you are driving in reverse its the same way, it holds the left side track, and the tank turns to the left in reverse. I'm not sure what you are talking about when you have it doing the opposite.
      I bow to your superior experience in this matter. I'll try to switch to the Goliath system in the next beta.

Comment

it works now the problem was the files were in folders named land raider helios in the folders they were suppose to be in like i would find land raider helios folder in system

Comment

Originally posted by ambulance
          it works now the problem was the files were in folders named land raider helios in the folders they were suppose to be in like i would find land raider helios folder in system
          OT: Ambulance make an ambulance

Comment

I just had a chance to play it and its great. The cannons on the sides tracking targets is great.

Other than the reverse steering, I can only think of a couple minor gripes, they are about the whirlwhind missile launcher. I can live with the fact that you have to stop to fire it, but there's nothing worse than setting up a shot only to have the charge gauge disappear because someone bumped your vehicle. How about setting it so that as long as the driver isnt inputting commands to the vehicle, it can still fire or at least keep its charge when bumped so that when it stops moving it can still fire instead of having to start all over again? Also, it could use a brake to help with the fact that it needs to stand still alot. I swear the bots know that you cant shoot them if you are moving and ram me on purpose. (I see you already adressed the brake idea)

Other than that, I thinks its one of the most impressive vehicles out there.

Comment

here's some nice console commands

MEMSTAT - Displays Windows memory usage
              STAT ALL - Shows all stats
              STAT AUDIO - Shows audio stats
              STAT FPS - Displays your frames per second
              STAT GAME - Displays game stats
              STAT HARDWARE - Shows hardware stats
              STAT NET - Shows network game play stats
              STAT NONE - Turns off all stats
              STAT RENDER - Displays rendering statistics

Anyway, for entry positions, I vote for drivers or gunners being able to enter from the outside and using the bay for carrying troops, but leave a way for the troopers to open the bay doors so the driver doesn't trap them in there.

And for the charge meter, I think you should make it slowly go down when the arty is moving instead of instantly resetting. This way when the driver is nudged only a little it won't a take a full 5 seconds to be able to fire again.

Comment

It may just be me, but honestly the missile launcher does just feel like a regular tank shell which gets affected by gravity. There's no real arch to the missiles. They just sort of go straight and at one point start to fall.
                I do get what you're saying about not wanting it to be just an SPMA with Lascannons though.

Would it be possible to use something like the SPMA's aiming reticle without having the overhead view?Here's an idea I think might work dandy.

Since the door will be opening/closing automaticly (unless I read wrong), it won't need a button. Set it so that Jump clamps down the brakes and sets the vehicle into firing mode, which brings up a targeter like the (hastily made) image below. Then have the firing modes stay as they are so that you can still use the camera-missiles when the aimer goes out of view (behind mountains, etc).

With the brakes clamped down, you no longer need the directional keys to move, so you can use them to move the reticle around (or even use the mouse, if that would be easier to create).
                Then just click jump again to unclamp the brakes.
                This also leave the Crouch button open in case you want to add a manual door control as well.

Or maybe even have the "sensor suite" position automaticly go to 3rd person and bring up the aimer with their fire/Jump/Whatever button.

I know I've seen a vehicle/weapon use an aiming device like this somewhere before (with an animated dotted-line), but I can't for the life of me remember what game it was from.

Comment

Re: Re: More ScreenShots:

Originally posted by Xyx
                  Thanks for the cool screens!

I was secretly hoping you would make some animations! I tried to make a few myself, but they were too big. Unfortunately, your animations seem offline at the moment.
                  Aaah sorry, i just noticed the wrong Link..... Fixed

AnimGifs: No 1. (1,31 MB) | No 2. (1,92 MB)

Comment

That is one awesome screenshot. Downloading now.

Comment

I was bored...

Comment

I can live with the fact that you have to stop to fire it, but there's nothing worse than setting up a shot only to have the charge gauge disappear because someone bumped your vehicle. How about setting it so that as long as the driver isnt inputting commands to the vehicle, it can still fire or at least keep its charge when bumped so that when it stops moving it can still fire instead of having to start all over again?
                        The most common gripe, it seems, and to be expected. I maxed out the sensitivity to see if I could get away with it, and I obviously cannot. I'll fix this in the next beta. I'll either raise the movement threshold, or I'll look at driver input instead of movement. I'll also consider slowly depleting the gauge instead of emptying it right away.

Also, it could use a brake to help with the fact that it needs to stand still alot.
                        So many features, so few keys to work with! It's starting to look like I'll have no other option than moving the launcher back to a passenger seat.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBladeRoden
                          here's some nice console commands
                          Thanks! I'll play with those when the time for optimization comes.

for entry positions, I vote for drivers or gunners being able to enter from the outside and using the bay for carrying troops, but leave a way for the troopers to open the bay doors so the driver doesn't trap them in there.
                          That's... tricky, since they're not really part of the vehicle while inside the bay. They could always just press Use to enter the vehicle and exit through the roof.

for the charge meter, I think you should make it slowly go down when the arty is moving instead of instantly resetting. This way when the driver is nudged only a little it won't a take a full 5 seconds to be able to fire again.
                          Noted, see above post.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterTrioxin
                            It may just be me, but honestly the missile launcher does just feel like a regular tank shell which gets affected by gravity. There's no real arch to the missiles. They just sort of go straight and at one point start to fall.
                            The way they're implemented is actually sort of like flak shells. It's "real" gravity that's pulling them down, not scripting. I agree that their trajectory is a bit flat, though. I'll have a closer look at it.

Would it be possible to use something like the SPMA's aiming reticle without having the overhead view?
                            I've been giving that some thought as well, but I'm not so sure how to do this in a way that I'll get it finished this year. :bulb:

Problem with the reticle is that it only works well if it's projected onto a 2D-ish view, like the SPMA's top-down view. Scenery will interfere tremendously with it if the camera viewpoint is changed. For example, you would be unable to hit Torlan's center node using a SPMA-like reticule. It would jump to the top of the tower. If I would instead project the reticle from the camera position, it would stop at the first hill or wall and kill all possibility of indirect fire. It would take at least six keys to properly maneuver a 3D reticle. I dread to think of the awkwardness involved in moving such a reticle around.

Set it so that Jump clamps down the brakes and sets the vehicle into firing mode, which brings up a targeter like the (hastily made) image below. Then have the firing modes stay as they are so that you can still use the camera-missiles when the aimer goes out of view (behind mountains, etc).

http://mistertrioxin.seetle.net/c89aa930.jpg
                            Sort of like deploying the Leviathan? That might work, though it would not make controlling the vehicle any easier for new people.

Cool picture, but try to imagine what it would look like when aiming at A) the center node, B) the side of the tower and C) the enemy primary node on the other side of the tower.

Or maybe even have the "sensor suite" position automaticly go to 3rd person and bring up the aimer with their fire/Jump/Whatever button.
                            You mean the camera seat? Interaction between two seat positions would be rather tricky at best.

I know I've seen a vehicle/weapon use an aiming device like this somewhere before (with an animated dotted-line), but I can't for the life of me remember what game it was from.
                            I'd really like to take a look at that!

I guess, ideally, that I'd like to do all aiming using only the crosshair, with up/down increasing/decreasing the range. Having dots trace the path to the projected destination would pwn! I could even do away with the charge bar, and use the dots as an indicator, with the missile ready to fire when the last (bigger) dot is drawn, complete with audio cue. But how to do this? I could borrow some stuff from the SPMA, which is quite complicated already, but trajectory calculation lies just beyond the extent of my math skilz.

Part of me is also unwilling to make the missile camera feature obsolete... I already stole it from another vehicle of mine, thinking it could be put to better use here. Maybe it'd still be of use when the dots become obscured by distancefog... if that is at all possible.

****, this thing is complex... so many options! I'll need to pick a nice, easy, simple direct fire only vehicle next time.

Comment

Oh, just remembered the game I saw it in! "Full Spectrum Warriors" used the dotted lines for when you threw grenades.
                              I believe that the way it was in that game, you could only throw one so high, so instead of the reticle appearing on top of a building (IE what you were saying with the Torlan tower), the dotted line would either look like it was going into the building or it would stop before the buildig (which probably wouldn't be possible in UT).

I reccomend you rent the game for Xbox is only to see how they used it.

Comment

First off, congratulations for this already great vehicle. Most of the flaws I found with it were mentioned before here, but one didn't show up: Imho, the Land Raider should replace the Leviathan instead of the Goliath. I mean, at least it's a Land Raider, the heaviest vehicle the Adeptus Astartes bring into combat, and is not often seen on the battlefield. And one with a whirlwind laucher is an even more seldom sight. A fitting replacement for a common tank like the Goliath would've been a Predator, not a supertank like this.

The problem is that, at the moment, the Helios is way too powerful compared to a Goliath, but not powerful enough to be a worthy replacement for the Leviathan, considering the massive damage dealt by the primary Levi weapon when deployed. If you would replace the camera turret again with a heavy bolter, that would make it more powerful, but still not enough, due to its small cone of fire. So the Whirlwind missiles should really create a slightly bigger bang, as a counterpart for the bad accurancy. It could be made a little bit more accurate, too, but then again it wouldn't be a real whirlwind, so better leave it as it is.

Some more suggestions:

You should really make the missile turret a passenger seat again, so that the driver controls the bolter with primary fire and the front doors with secondary. Brakes (if necessary, see below) could be used with duck, and jump could be a short speed boost, straight forward, with no steering ability while boosting. Tank shock, here we go!

Maybe the turret could still fire while driving (to give the gunner at least someting to do while the tank is moving) but it would require twice the time to be ready to fire, and be less accurate than it already is. That way you wouldn't even need a brake. I know a normal whirlwind has to stand still to fire, but that is because whirlwinds have a small rhino-chassis, I imagine that a Land Raider could well handle it the way I described it.

The aiming system could be changed from gravity-affected to a real parabolic curve, that would look more like the behaviour of guided missiles. Plus, it would make the calculation for the aiming-system that MisterTrioxin suggested a LOT easier, you just had to create a parabolic curve which flattens the lower you aim, very basic maths. Wherever the line crosses terrain, there is a spot painted on the ground (or wall), at least if it is in sight. If not, there is still the secondary fire with the camera to help you aim. In the SPMA, the angle of the turret is calculated by the position of the aiming reticle, here it's exactly the other way round.

You could also add two more passenger seats to the Helios, a Land Raider is a troop carrier after all. When exiting those, you leave through the front door, otherwise you can enter and exit from the outside like in a regular UT vehicle. The 2 passengers could recieve a signal (audio and/or visual) when the door is opened. That way the driver can easily give the order to leave the vehicle, so the passengers can respond to attacks the vehicle has no defense against, like shooting avrils at attacking air units, for example.

I hope, at least some of my suggestions were useful for you, if not, hey it's your vehicle after all. Btw, have you found a texturing artist by now? Fully skinned it would look twice as great as it does already!

Comment

Working...
                                X