Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vehicle Speedometer Mutator (Beta 5 with Tach)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vehicle Speedometer Mutator (Beta 5 with Tach)

Name:Vehicular Speedometer (MPH) Mutator
    Version: Version 1
    Compatibility: UT2k4 (Assault, Invasion, Onslaught, VCTF, others)
    Description: Mutator to add speedometer, other gauges, AutoEject to vehicles
    Comments: **** YO RIDE! (or something)
    Screenshot: screenie link
    Credits: Dicky B, Da Wrecka, WinkyBoy
    Homepage: http://db.modnmod.com
    Download: http://db.modnmod.com

I was working on this for my mod (Colossians), and when I finally got my good vehicular speedometer done, I figured out that this would be really easy to make into a mutator. So I did.

The Speedometer:
    1: Works with any vehicle.
    2: Works in Assault, Invasion, Onslaught, VCTF.
    3: Also works in anything based on xTeamGame, but if it isn't one of the others listed, it uses the xTeamGame HUD and adds a speedometer.
    4: ONSChopperCraft/ONSPlaneCraft-based vehicles show Airspeed instead of Groundspeed.
    5: Team Tinted.
    6: Looks 10 kinds of def.

Also has Tachometer(wheeled vehicle only), Warning Lights, Compass. These can be client-side disabled. The server can also have these disabled (server-side disable overrides client-side enable)

AutoEjection Feature:

1: Ejects driver/passenger(s) from vehicle when a certain level of damage is reached (server-side setting)
    2: Can be server-side disabled
    3: Vehicle is locked until damage is repaired above AutoEject threshold (server-side can disable)

Known Bugs and/or Weirdness:
    1: Displays when you're in a vehicle, driving or not.
    2: Leviathan pilot AutoEject is.. fruity..
    3: STILL doesn't get you chicks. (fixing in version 7,000)

Pop over to my site and clicky the downloads link and get it. Get all my stuff while you're there.

Dicky B (and yes, I know a speedometer in UT2k4 is useless)

ps-Please report any other bugs and stuff here. Keep it civil, thanks in advance.

pps-AutoEject Force set over 1500? I fully recommend the Chute mutator to use with this mutator (Chute Mutator Linkage)

Version 1: Now uses HudOverlay, thanks Da Wrecka! Also renamed the mutator from dbSpeedo to just Speedo, since there's a bunch of stuff I didn't do in it.

Re: Vehicle Speedometer Mutator (Beta 1)

Originally posted by Dicky B

Pop over to my site and clicky the downloads link and get it. Get all my stuff while you're there.

Dicky B (and yes, I know a speedometer in UT2k4 is useless)

ps-Please report any other bugs and stuff here. Keep it civil, thanks in advance. [/B]
    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /files/dbSpeedo_mutator.zip on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Comment

That's odd. I just downloaded it without any problem.

Anyone else not able to get it?

[edit: there's some weirdness going on at my host, so it may or may not work now. dropping an email right now..]

Comment

Works fine for me.

Comment

There is a easier solution, The Archon just needs to disable his firewall, that's all, your host doesn't like Norton Personal Firewall.

Comment

Cool. I'm working on some things for the speedometer (mph/kph toggle), a tach, a different velocity gauge for flying vehicles, and a surprise thingy or two. At least I know that people can download stuff, whether or not my host is acting fruity on the admining side.

If anyone has a pimper (pimpier? oh.. More ****.) graphic for the speedometer, lemme know. Mine was basically just a test graphic. I used a background, needle, then a cap. It doesn't have to use that, though, or even be round or centered. I can pretty much work with anything, now that I have it set up right. (you can even have your lame logo replace my lame logo, as long as a db is somewhere on it, I'd appreciate that).

Dicky B (btw, my 1000th post, thanks BOT(0) for alerting me)

[BUG in Beta 1! Fixing, and adding km/h-mph toggler. Huge accessed nones log thing. Have it patched in a jiffy or three]

Comment

GREAT idea, Dicky B! I just downloaded it and will test it out - got a LAN party coming up in a month that a friend is throwing, should work great with that.

If you take suggestions, how about vehicle fuel- and ammo- limitations? There'd have to be pickups for the vehicles, but 'twould be fun/useful, I think.

[edit]Just saw your "bug" comment. I'll DL again later...[/edit]

Comment

It's later.

Beta 2 is out.

New Feature:
                while not in a vehicle, type ToggleUnits to show km/h instead of mph.

New Weirdness:
                ToggleUnits not persistent, exactly.
                Will totally muck up UTComp, or it won't. Probably will.

About the fuel/ammo thing.. I *did* have an idea about that, but to make it work universally (any vehicle, anytime, anywhere), I really can't fart around with that stuff unless it's temporary (while you're in it).. I could have it do things like eject you if a certain percentage of the total health is damaged in one shot or something.. (like say 50%.. Vehicle 800 max health, has 600 health, gets 400 damage, ejection!)

Dicky B (looking into that for my mod's bots to eject from an explosion-imminent situation in a vehicle instead of pulling a Charles Bronson and riding into a firey doom like they usually do.)

Comment

Dicky B (looking into that for my mod's bots to eject from an explosion-imminent situation in a vehicle instead of pulling a Charles Bronson and riding into a firey doom like they usually do.)
                  :haha::up:

Hey DickyB, this like all measuring devices is indeed a nice contribution to Unreal science. Some questions:

1. (If you're giving it away) How accurate is this, at least for ground vehicles?

2. How does it calculate speed?

3. Metric countries can, of course, just "learn to live with it." However, for those of us living in the good ol' BS of P, is there any chance of an Unreal Units Per Second version?

4. If you do make one that shows UPS, will it have to be brown? :weird:

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Buggy
                    There is a easier solution, The Archon just needs to disable his firewall, that's all, your host doesn't like Norton Personal Firewall.
                    I don't use Norton Personal Firewall. Zonealarm, and it's not known for interfering with a stock HTTP request.

Well, the point is moot, as link for the new version works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Discord
                      :haha::up:

Hey DickyB, this like all measuring devices is indeed a nice contribution to Unreal science. Some questions:

1. (If you're giving it away) How accurate is this, at least for ground vehicles?

2. How does it calculate speed?

3. Metric countries can, of course, just "learn to live with it." However, for those of us living in the good ol' BS of P, is there any chance of an Unreal Units Per Second version?

4. If you do make one that shows UPS, will it have to be brown? :weird:

Thanks for your time.
                      It's as accurate as anyone would feasibly need it to be, which is to say, an approximation that is as close as I could figure with available information. BS of P? I *can* do UU/sec, which is even less calculation, but it will screw up my dial, since it only goes from 0 to 128 (but I cap it at 120). I'd have to make a second dial overlay. For the next version, I had already planned to have a more realistic display, with both MPH and km/h on it, like in real cars. I could always add a third for UU/S. Do you think I should work on a tachometer or an artificial horizon next? The more useless dials I can work up, the more I can fill up on the empty chunk of screen at the bottom. Sorry, no GPS, but a compass is doable, round or bar.

Anyway... Here's how it works:
                      Each HUD tick (very fast), it notes the location of the pawn being controlled by the hud's playerowner. Hell's yes it's the long way around, but this way, it works for everything. I have it *only* show when the hud's playerowner.pawn happens to be a Vehicle, though. Anyway, it takes that location, and checks it with the last location. Taking the distance between OldLocation and CurrentLocation, and using DeltaTime to find the exact time it took to get from OL to CL, it's merely a little bit of math to figure out how far you would go at the current velocity in one hour. To finish up, it saves the CurrentLocation as the new OldLocation.

In the current incarnation, it only concerns itself with the XY velocity. The Z Axis value is ignored, as it was originally intended for ground/hover vehicles. A simple modifier to *not* ignore the Z Axis would give actual velocity, which I plan to do for "air" vehicles, however, this also limits the universal nature of the mutator. If someone makes a vehicle based on SVehicle with its own flying class, not based on copter or plane (as are Raptor and Bomber, for example), it will only show the XY velocity, as I won't be able to check for an exception which does not presently exist (as I know it).

So.. To sum up.. It works, it's dodgy in spots, but accurate enough for at least one branch of the US Military.

Dicky B (besides, it's useless even if it's balls-on accurate)

(I think I'm going to steal^H^H^H^H^Hlook at some pictures of aftermarket gauges for the next version. This one is functionally done, so next is beautification, then after that, more useless gauges..)

[edit: and let's not forget that I eyeballed some tweaks after I did the math in the first place.. If the Raptor is supposed to have basically a 96mph top speed, then it's pretty accurate]

Comment

So.. accurate enough for at least one branch of the US Military.
                        , but really it is :cry:

Originally posted by Dicky B ...looking into that for my mod's bots to eject from an explosion-imminent situation in a vehicle
                        -> I think a mutator like this already exists (check the map AS-Confexia, at least it's included there).

Comment

Originally posted by fftunes
                          , but really it is :cry:

-> I think a mutator like this already exists (check the map AS-Confexia, at least it's included there).
                          Hmm. Doesn't seem they do it all the time, when they should. I'll look into it before I bother with it, though. Thanks for the heads-up.

New Gauge Screenshot <-[edit]what I'm working on, not what's released yet.[/edit]

No need to custom pawn it anymore for the units toggle. This fixes part of the mutator that used to break UTComp. (no, there isn't a UU/sec display.. probably make that digital, and stick it where the odometer is in the gauge, if I do it at all)

Dicky B (for a mutator I started this morning as a piece of a mod, it's coming along nicely-nicely, thanks)

ps-if someone knows the actual true top-under-power speed of any of the vehicles, let me know, and I can tweak the speedometer to be more accurate, no problem.

Comment

Anyway... Here's how it works:
                            Hehe, that's pretty sweet.

And actually, this thing isn't particularly useless at all. In the M/K PH format it would make an awesome addition to an UnWheel- type mod in the first person POV. And don't get me started on that... after I took a look at the code under the hood of the Scorpion my brain was nearly crushed under the weight of visions of a full- on Gran Turismoesque racing sim modded onto the Unreal engine. With guns. Big guns. And proper controls, like a clutch and manual transmission. :drool:

But anyway. On the other end of things, having a good solid handle on UU/sec would doubtless be a real boon to modders and mappers alike. It would really be useful for making scaling decisions, and would afford vehicle modders a good amount of precision during the tuning process. I myself am quite pleased to be able to now say for certain exactly how much faster my ScorpionGT is than the stock version, rather than having to rely on guesstimates and driving around in circles a whole bunch.

What next? Well, since the official vehicles don't have much in the way of pitch or roll, I'd say the artificial horizon wouldn't do much for anybody... would be cool for the space fighters I expect. So my vote's for the tach.

Suggestion: display options. I'd probably be willing to use your guages ingame if I could adjust the following:
                            • 1. Shape. Round is nice, but old 1970s- style oblong guages might be a more effective use of screenspace.

2. Opacity. Maybe tie guage opacity to that setting for the rest of the HUD?

3. Size.

4. Location. Me personally, I'm thinking lower right... maybe somebody else has other preferences.

Muuuuuhahahaha.

Well anyway, enthusiastic requests aside, nice work. Good tools like this are always cool.

Comment

Cool tool!

Suggestions:
                              • KPH!
                              • Digital display in the center for added precision.
                              • Some sort of space-saving design (oblong sounds great).

Comment

Working...
                              X