DM-1on1-Derelict [Beta 1] [Pics] [Update-3]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-1on1-Derelict [Beta 1] [Pics] [Update-3]

EDIT: Beta 1 has been released folks! Any and all comments much appreciated still!!

Name: DM-1on1-Derelict
    Version: Beta 1 (release 3)
    Compatibility: UT2004
    Description: A small fast one on one map with z-axis fun. Based on Q3 CPMA map "pull your socks up"
    Comments: Fully supported bots. Lift jumping. Lighting and mesh work started. I would really appreciate as much feedback as possible. Even if you think the map stinks
    Screenshots:
    [screenshot]http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~barballs/images/DM_1on1_derelict/derelict20.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~barballs/images/DM_1on1_derelict/derelict23.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~barballs/images/DM_1on1_derelict/derelict26.jpg[/screenshot]

Credits: The original creator of the map for giving me the inspiration for the re-make
    Homepage: http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~barballs
    Download: Beta 1(Release 3)

i'ii download and test mate later.

from the screens your lighting need ssome work, get rid of the white lighting and use a sorta light browny colour like in DM-Rankin or DM-1on1-Alpu3.

Add trim around edges, like door frames because it looks like cut out bsp.

Get some meshs in there and give the place something to look at other than textures, also remember light meshs the light needs some where to come from .

For your 1st map matey its looking alright, get some different colours in there and some meshs and it will be nice:up: . Maybe some missing tiles, bricks etc would look the part as well, experiment with that.

if you need any help give me a bell on MSN.

hope that helps mate

MsM

Comment

Map Status

Ok, I think I better clear some things up:

** This map is nowhere NEAR finished.

** There are NO static meshes... yet.

** Lighting as not even been started.

** Trim work will be completed.

Purpose of level: Purely for gameplay and flow suggestions.

As soon as I have meshes and lighting done a new improved beta will be released.

I hope that helps clarify some of the questions brought up

Comment

in that case- we call it an "ALPHA".

in a beta map, you nitpick at anything you can, because it's being polished for the finished product.

Comment

hmm the original creator was Lunaran if you weren't aware :-)

http://www.lunaran.com

I would make the map closer to the original. Put the teleporters in (the map kinda needs them), put the ridge at the side by the 100A in. Decrease the amount of ammunition.

Something really up with the lifts, they don't seem to work properly. Kept standing on them and nothing happens. Also move a little to slow to jump off easily.
          I think you could also afford to remove the link gun and place the minigun there or something...it's a small map and putting so many weapons in feels a bit over the top.

Good map to remake really. Nearly all of CPMA's maps are. Although the remake of cpm1a (kadath I think) in the community bonus pack was done badly due to some bad changes to the map (eg the teleporter was removed, the shock rifle placed too high, the higher armour point was just an open, highly spammable corridor with no cover or room to move).

Maybe just me but I always think it best to retain the original title of a map when it is remade, so people get the deal with it :-)

Comment

Thanks for the input!

I had thought I using UT's wall sliding instead of teleporting by the red armour. What do you think?

The ridge will be definately be going in. I just hadn't gotten that far.

with regards to weapons what loadout would your recommend using?

Thanks again

Comment

Well, I just tested it, so I guess I'll give the first of the feedback. Well, you have a very promising layout and it'll be good for a 1on1 map. Ok, so you said you need lighting first, right? Maybe a skybox would help too unless you want this to be strictly indoors. I don't know if you pathed the bots yet but I found a bit of a problem with one of 'em. Here's the pic. But I feel this will be a good map once the beta is released, and more so when the final is released.

Comment

k here is what I personally would do having looked a little closer (I was talking a little bull about too many weapons).

Off we go
                > The five vials at the top of the main lift I'd move down to the adrenaline beneath them, to replace the green armour from cpma.
                > I'd keep the big jump pad in the middle of the map instead of making it a lift as the fun with a jump pad is how much more open and dangerous they are to use.
                > I'd ditch the lightning gun and put the minigun there instead. The original didn't have the rail anyhow, and you'd have no weapons on the top level, which makes it less of a dominating position. Plus does such a small level need a sniper rifle? :-)
                > The Linkgun I'd replace with the flak. The flak I'd replace with a bio or so.
                > The Shock is okay, and the Rocket Launcher.
                > Keg, 100A and 50A are fine.
                > I'd try to not have lots and lots of ammo. Just a pack for each weapon, positioned some way away from the weapon itself, so people can stock up. Make sure most (if not all) of the ammo is on the mid or lower levels. Again making the top weaker. UT levels generally have an over stocking of ammunition in my opinion.
                > One of the health packs over from the shock could be removed. They are (will be? ) close to the vials after all.

Good to see you are following the geometry shape of the original, which was a very cool design in my opinion.

As for the teleporters. I'd say that the teleporter to escape the Red armour pit could be replaced by a dodging ramp and not be a problem, but the other teleporters send you such a long way and allow you to move so quickly around that I think they need to stay. There isn't anything you could replace them with, and being able to move quickly like that is important for a small arena. Shame UT's teleporters don't work as smoothly as Quake 3's.

My thoughts for yer. I hope it helps.

Comment

Update for Version 2

Originally posted by Esque42
                  The five vials at the top of the main lift I'd move down to the adrenaline beneath them, to replace the green armour from cpma.
                  Not a bad idea that. Could just swap locations. So the adrenaline will still be in the map. Or i could just get rid of it. will have to see once the map grows.

I'd keep the big jump pad in the middle of the map instead of making it a lift as the fun with a jump pad is how much more open and dangerous they are to use.
                  I went with the lift because lift jumping is a more UT-ish habit. Plus i feel it made the level more interesting. I'll fix the lifts and pretty the level up then decide if the lift should be kept or not.

I'd ditch the lightning gun and put the minigun there instead. Plus does such a small level need a sniper rifle? :-)
                  But I like the lightening gun! Its great fun pegging mid air headshots from lift jumpers. But you are right the Rail was not in the original. I know it is a sniper rifle but it doesnt feel like one to me. Besides with the Keg, 100A, and 50A all in the level I feel the map needs a weapon to counter them.

As for the teleporters. I'd say that the teleporter to escape the Red armour pit could be replaced by a dodging ramp and not be a problem, but the other teleporters send you such a long way and allow you to move so quickly around that I think they need to stay. There isn't anything you could replace them with, and being able to move quickly like that is important for a small arena. Shame UT's teleporters don't work as smoothly as Quake 3's.
                  You have a point about the teleporters. I'll make 2 versions of the map. One with and one without. Personally I think the map will play just fine without them. Could make play more interesting, but we'll see.

Originally posted by Homeslice
                  Maybe a skybox would help too unless you want this to be strictly indoors.
                  There will be an outdoor section I am just working on how i want it to look.

I don't know if you pathed the bots yet but I found a bit of a problem with one of 'em.
                  There was a very hastely put down bot path and it is nowhere near complete. The bots don't even know any of the jumps or use lifts yet! That will all be fixed.

Change list for upcoming next version:

> Trim completed
                  > Initial lighting
                  > Fixed Lifts
                  > Upgrade bot pathing
                  > if time allows
                  >>> Initial terrain
                  >>> mesh work
                  >>> Optomization (APs, Zoning, and all that)
                  >>> Funky lighting (shadows everywhere)
                  >>> Detail Meshing

Thanks for all the input thus far folks. keep the feedback coming!

Comment

Progress report.

Work to release two is going well. Here is a list of things done last night:

> Trimming is about 75% done.
                    > Lighting started.
                    > Preliminary static mesh work.

> Location of 5 vials and adrenaline swapped.
                    > One 25H removed on ground floor.

Screenshots of progress thus far:

UPDATE:
                    Higher res screens with more work done:
                    Screen 8
                    Screen 9
                    Screen 10
                    Screen 11
                    Screen 12

The New version will be ready to Download as soon as all the changes in the post above have been completed. Any Comments or suggestions based on the screens would be a help too (I know its hard to judge, I'll get the map out soon)

Comment

Release 2.

I was so happy last night with my work I decided to share it with you all a little earlier than expected. The beta release will be here in a while, once I get the last bit of geometry and the skybox done.

Changes in Release 2:
                      > The trim work has come a long way and is almost complete.
                      > Static meshing is progressing nicely.
                      > Lighting has been started too.
                      > Bots and lifts have been fixed (lifts are silent at the mo)
                      > Bots will lift jump (catching quite a bit of air time)

Download: PreBeta (release 2)

I would appreciate any feedback at all as usual. Thanks folks.

Comment

Beta 1 released

Beta 1 released. Please Download from the first post! All comments and feedback appreciated! Thanks!

[screenshot]http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~barballs/images/DM_1on1_derelict/derelict26.jpg[/screenshot]

Comment

Looking great. Gonna try it and post feedback in the weekend. :up:

Comment

Fantastic lighting, the air time on those lifts is cool too

There's a prob with the trim on the curved stairway, the one next to the RL on the inner curve. You can see sky through a hole in it.

Not sure if the texture set's been over done, but looks nice despite my reservations there. Plays very well, need to play it some more but so far its looking like a keeper.

Nice work :up:

Comment

Some nice ideas but feels cluttered.

- 100 armor is to close to keg
                              - Dont have keg in 1v1 map
                              - Map is too small even for 1v1
                              - Cliff meshes look unrealistically pieced together
                              - Clipping error in BSP of curved staircase
                              - Structural support meshes restrict gameplay
                              - Overall scale is too small

Comment

Working...
                              X