X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[pickup/mutator] Powerpills : instant-combo's for everyone

Don't like the combo-moves ?
    Or do you like suprises ?

Have no fear ... the powerpills are here !

The powerpill is a pickup that instantly activates any given combo.
    Altough it gives the players a little adrenaline (30 to be exact) to get going a player that manages to increase his adrenaline through other means will have a little bit more time before it runs out.

And since there's no maps that use this pickup (like Do'h! ) I've added a little mutator to replace the adrenaline-pickups on maps with a randomly chosen powerpill.
    To keep the number of powerpills on the maps down to a decent number it replaces approximately 1 in 4 adrenalinepills.

*warning* if you use a mutator that can keep the adrenaline-amount above 0 you won't run out ...
    So avoid combining this with any adrenaline-mutator that doesn't check if the player has an active combo! (Or else someone might have permanent invisibility ... )

Have fun !

See http://jafo.mienadres.nl for the file ..

I've improved the mutator a bit and have added a few options to configure in the ut2003.ini.

New features :
    'PowerPillFactor' : replace <PowerPillFactor> amount of adrenaline with 1 powerpill
    By default every 4 adrenaline pills are replaced by 1 powerpill.

bRandom : if each pill should be chosen at random from the list.
    default : True

The types of combo's used is set in the ini-file in the 'Combo'-lines.
    Format :
    Combo=(ComboClassName=<classname>,Power=<power>)

Example :
    Combo=(ComboClassName="XGame.ComboInvis",Power=60)

Explanation :
    ComboClassName : the combo that's activated if the pill is taken
    Power : how much adrenaline is added to the current amount ...

Add this to the UT2003.ini (if it's not there already) :
    [JaFOpupack.MutPowerPills]
    PowerPillFactor=4
    bRandom=True
    Combo=(ComboClassName="XGame.ComboInvis",Power=60)
    Combo=(ComboClassName="XGame.ComboSpeed",Power=60)
    Combo=(ComboClassName="XGame.ComboDefensive",Power =60)
    Combo=(ComboClassName="XGame.ComboBerserk",Power=6 0)

You can add as many combo's as you want ...
    So if you want to use berserk & speed then you simply delete the lines for Invisibility & defensive (regeneration) combo's.

Adding multiple versions of the same combo is possible.
    If it's set to 'bRandom=True' then this will simply alter the probability of a certain combo appearing ...
    If it's set to fals then it simply mean more of that combo appear (if there are enough pills to replace that is)

bRandom = False : the pills in the level are replaced by powerpills in sequence as they appear in the ini-file. So it'd be Invis / Speed / Defense / Berserk / Invis / Speed / Defense / Berserk / ...
    until all pills have been replaced.

See my site for the latest version : http://jafo.mienadres.nl

And the thread on the BeyondUnreal-forums.

Note : this has not been tested on-line ... so there might be problems I'm not aware of (yet).

Comment

I've made a new version and I've uploaded it to my site ( http://jafo.mienadres.nl )

New features :
      - combo-activation is announced just like the real combo's

- mutator can now assign a random amount of adrenaline to the powerpills as they are replaced ...

Comment

JaFO,

I'm surprised no one has replied to this thread yet.

This is a great mutator for map makers.

Thanks for making it.

Comment

Jafo,

By the way, have you had a chance to test your mutator out in mutliplayer a multiplayer environment?

Comment

*trys to start UT 2003**UT 2003 locks up**restarts the computer**removes from Ut2003.ini and deletes files* *Alarm*lock up! error! lock up!

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie
              JaFO,

By the way, have you had a chance to test your mutator out in mutliplayer a multiplayer environment?
              I only have one pc that can run UT'03 ... so I can't do any decent multiplayer-tests. It is a lot of fun in instant-action vs bots because you never know what power-up you'll get and how long it'll last until you've tried it.

Given that this pickup doesn't do anything too weird and it uses the same methods of starting combo's that players themselves use (except for the key-sequence) I think it should work ok in a multiplayer-setting.

The only thing I want to do is find a way to use a different skin for the pills so you have a chance of recognizing the combo before trying to pick it up. The problem is that I can't extract the original skin in a format I could edit. Altough if you use the pickup in a map then changing the mesh/skin probably is easy if you know how to do it.

Comment

Is there a way to turn off the random amount of adrenalin each pill has? I want to set mine to 40-50 points each. I am a bit afraid of messing my game up by altering my .ini file though, are you going to make an user frindly version to configure your mutator? also your site says there are two muts in the pack, but I only see one. Whats with that?

Cool mut I just don't like the randomized amount. I acualy picked up a pill one time that had 0 points, so you might want to do something about that.

Good luck in finalizing your mut dude :up:.

P.S. In your next version you might want to make this compatable with The MadBomber mutator.

Comment

Ok this is my current .ini setting:

PowerPillFactor=4
                  bRandom=True
                  bRandomPower=False
                  Combo=(ComboClassName="XGame.ComboInvis",Power=50)
                  Combo=(ComboClassName="XGame.ComboSpeed",Power=50)
                  Combo=(ComboClassName="XGame.ComboDefensive",Power =50)
                  Combo=(ComboClassName="XGame.ComboBerserk",Power=5 0)
                  Combo=(ComboClassName="XGame.Combomadbomber",Power =50)

This kept the pills from randomly changing points. And as you see I have the MadBomber combo in there. I tried every posibal wording for the MB Combo, to try and get it to work, but I can't. The only thing that happens is a regular 50 pill is placed in the map. If you pick 2 of them up it takes u to 100points and you can manualy start the MB Combo, but that's not what your mut is for.

If you do make your mutator compatible with the MB Combo (which I hope you do). You would have to make it so that it would only add the MB Power Pill when the mutator is activated.

Also curently the different Power Pills are only randomly placed when the map starts. When a pill resawns it respawns the same as it was b4. I Think it would be better if every time a Power Pill respawned it randomly chose which Power Pill would be respawned back. This would keep people from saying "I want invisability. I think I will go here to get it." Because of it being ramdom, that spot wouldn't always be invisable.

Well, good luck once again :up:.

Comment

I thought of something else. If you don't want to make a user friendly config, couldn't you at least create it's own .ini file that a user can edit, insted of editing a main UT2003 file?

Laterz

NP

Comment

The package has just one mutator.

The powerpill-pickup which can be used by mappers in maps is also part of the package. Since it is a regular pickup it might work with the wildcard-base like the one with the supershield/megahealth in DM-Gael.

The mutator automatically replaces all the adrenaline-pills in a map with powerpills. This feature depends on the settings in the 'MutPowerpills'-section. I'll see if I can find the code that's responsible for saving it in ini-files.
                      I'll probably add a userfriendly dialog once I understand how these things work.

A real random powerpill is an interesting idea ...

btw : I think the reason you couldn't use your own combo is because you didn't add it correctly !
                      You used :
                      Code:
                      Combo=(ComboClassName="XGame.Combomadbomber",Power=50)
                      Now I think that the 'Combomadbomber' isn't part of the XGame-package ...
                      This is just theory though ... if you have the link to this thingy I'll see if I can test it myself.

Comment

You can actualy find it on this board at MadBomber

Thx for checking it out to see if you can get it to work.

Comment

Finally tried this out, found it simple and fun. Should belong in any mutator collection.

Comment

That MadCombo + Powerpill combination is painful

The correct line is :
                            Code:
                            Combo=(ComboClassName="MUTbombcombo.ComboMADBOMB",Power=60)
                            It worked off-line at least ...

Comment

Woot! Thx for figuring that out for me I greatly appreciate it .

This these are my curent setings, and I love it :

PowerPillFactor=4
                              bRandom=True
                              bRandomPower=False
                              Combo=(ComboClassName="XGame.ComboInvis",Power=50)
                              Combo=(ComboClassName="XGame.ComboSpeed",Power=50)
                              Combo=(ComboClassName="XGame.ComboDefensive",Power =50)
                              Combo=(ComboClassName="XGame.ComboBerserk",Power=5 0)
                              Combo=(ComboClassName="MUTbombcombo.ComboMADBOMB", Power=50)

Great Work, cant wait till the final version :up:.

Comment

Working...
                              X