CTF-SnipersAssault [Finished]

================FINISHED================
    Official download link (10 MB unzipped ~3MB zipped):
    http://gotd.caffeinelan.net/Download...ault][.zip

Release notes to final version:

-FPS fixed, or at least reasonable
    -Bots will jump over the lasers both ways
    -Reduced grass
    -NO backdoor. Bottom entrance and over lasers is enough.
    -NO costum music. Pushing ogg's over internet is a hasle and increases file size for not necaceraly music everyone will enjoy.

Thanx.

Looks good

but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE scale up the terrain texture, it looks awful right now.

Comment

yea...they just repeat and repeat and repeat...kinda gets me dizzy looking at it

Comment

Fixed
        I meant to pan them a bit, but stretching them is fine...
        Anything else that catches you'r eye?

Comment

more than one entrance please!!! :sour:

Comment

I thought of that, and actually it plays pretty good surprisingly, still I was concidering making a long backdoor with caves. I just hope it won't slow FPS so much, I already have issues with low FPS I'm working on, still I just use a GEforce... so that might be saying something.

Comment

Map looks good, and will be GREAT with the recommendations already posted here.

I'd be happy to host this map for you on both the sites I work on when you are ready to release the final. Hope to hear from you!

Comment

Looks awesome Matrix! Those bases remind me of the UT map Darji16. Please fix that terrain as it takes away from the map and really ruins the whole "feel". BTW from those screenshots the middle terrain of the map looks really flat...how about adding a hill or 2 to hide behind?

DGX

Comment

Thanx for the feedback guys.:up:
                  DeathGoblinX:
                  Uhm what changes are you talking about? Stretching the textures? I fixed that now, I'll get a new screen asap.
                  Also, yes the terrain is hilly. You can't really see it just the way the sun is positioned, but the path in pic #2 is in fact almost completly straight. Perhaps it could be a little more hilly (dunno how hilly you wan't it to be) but during play tests I found that the hills where big enough to hide players from snipers easily, but not enough so the sniping spots are completly useless (after all that's kind of the theme of the map)

SealClubber:
                  In my previous map I had a complex system of passages running along the sides of the pit into the flag area but it tended to shift all the action away from the center area because it was much shorter. This time I think I'll opt for a one way tunnel into the back of the base.
                  Plus, don't forget there is a quick way out - over the lasers; just it's more difficult to get over.

/Edit: Image 2 has been updated. Compare with the first one. IMO it looks more "messy" but I guess that's good right?

Comment

Ah ha, image 2 is looking far,far better. Just scale the path tex up a little more and the grass eeeeeeeever so slightly, and itll look brill.

Comment

huh, typically i dont like huge maps, (like bathroom maps and all that) but this one looks good, i'm going to try it out and see what happens. ok, ow the fps is really bad. and also those hallways are way way too small. and why cant we tl through the slits? this has potential but falls short imo. mostly cuz of really bad fps and the hallways/ base layout

Comment

/me nods head

Image 2 is the best looking one now.... Looks good and I can't wait to try it.

Comment

WAY TOO MUCH GRASS! this is why you are having FPS probs

Comment

Actually the BETA isn't a optimised version yet. But last night I worked hard on optimization. During a test I found out that I was running at 7000 BSP triangles per base ( ???)
                            I cleaned up the BSP and now we are back to 2500 triangles in BSP. I think there was a BSP error, just creating useless data.
                            The grass was not the culprit, yet I agree there is too much grass so I reduced it.

CTFX1:
                            I don't have much control over tl through the slits. The game is just made to not accept the tl to go through small spaces. I could possibly make them bigger, problem is it would also put "sniper's more at risk". As for the passageways, perhaps I should get them slightly bigger (the flack cannon owns in there )

I'll also update the map to a more optimised version.

EDIT:
                            Okay after optimization I doubled the FPS. Here is th report over my CTF-Chrome average of 25 FPS (yeah I only have a GeForce2 )
                            Max FPS outside: 25/25
                            Min FPS outside: 15/25
                            Max FPS inside: 80/25
                            Min FPS inside: 30/25

Max BSP triangles: about 2000
                            Average BSP triangles: about 400
                            Max Static Mesh traingles: about 40000
                            Average Static Mesh traingles: about 10000

Yeah I know it's a hell a lot of Static Mesh traingles, but because of the slits, it is near impossible to use Antiportals effectively, and the level is so open, that I can't section into many zones. Culldistance remains the most effective way, but even then I have to be carefull about pop-ups especially near the slits.
                            Still FPS is above average (especially for a outdoor complex level)
                            :up:
                            I'm basically finished except for the backdoor... I;ll need to see how gameplay is with only 1.5 entrances before I decide to implement it.

Comment

It's finally finished. I took some final decisions maybe not everyone will gree on but that I anticipate the majority of the internet will like.
                              EvILCaNNON you can now upload them to the sites. Link at top of thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X