• Show
Clear All

[Map]Dm-Cranium[XYZ]Beta 1 screens & DL[feedback please]

Map: DM cranium
    Mapper: |XYZ|XyZeR
    Gametype: death match or team deammatch
    Ideal playercount: 2-10
    Staus: Beta 1

Hi there i'dd like some feedback on my newest creation, don't judge it from the screens, they can't show the fun gameplay u can have in this highly z-axis focused map. The map is fully both pathed, and i'm in the proces of making custom music for it. Lots of optimalisation still has to be done.

Here are some screens:
    [screenshot]http://users.pandora.be/xyzer/shotscranium/DMcranium1.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://users.pandora.be/xyzer/shotscranium/DMcranium2.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://users.pandora.be/xyzer/shotscranium/DMcranium3.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://users.pandora.be/xyzer/shotscranium/DMcranium4.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://users.pandora.be/xyzer/shotscranium/DMcranium5.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://users.pandora.be/xyzer/shotscranium/DMcranium6.jpg[/screenshot]

download it here: DM-Cranium[XYZ] and let me know what framerates u're getting, if u see any bugs, issues,....
    thnx in advance, hope u give it a try.

What can I say? Wow! Take care of this baby because IMO it's a keeper! A little bare in spots and probably lighting needs a rework. Speaking about FPS, it suffers at the extremity (RL area for example) maybe because is very open (I don't know how much optimization is already on). Finally something new big enough for at least 6 players! Going to play again... :up:

Comment

ouch, ok uh... this map is really linear it has z axis but its basicly like two hexagons joined together with a subtractive cube in the middle and there are two stories not counting the really predictable lift jump to a third floor with the hidden mega health and the double damage amp. despite this it still lacks flow. seriously lacks flow. the reason your fps is so bad is because of the flow, its like orbital, the whole map is an advanced rectangle. cept that orbital is much better imo. also i really suggest you learn how to put together a tangible atmosphere. did you plan this out on paper before mapping this? I recremend you try to come up with a basic top view layout of your map with some ideas and then try to map. hey please dont take offense to this i'm guessing that this is one of your first attempts at mapping? if you look in any death match map you'll find that they are so popular because of the flow, no matter wich way you turn theres action, the level never seems to end. this is good flow. there are stairs, ramps jump pads, gaps, its really boring if you have two plain stories, in dm you want as many sub levels as possible. ah **** i'm rambling again sorry, if i were you i would research more about what make maps good and what make maps bad.

well if you want to improve i suggest you read this, this is intended for quake 3 but nm that it the same overall idea.
      keep on mapping you'll get better i'm sure

read the first 5 links on the rightside of that line.

lunarans DM encylopedia

Comment

well the screens look good. I probly won't d/l it but uh.. just saying hi really ^__^ I saw u on a server the other day i think hehe

Comment

Just went through it.

Indeed the layout is very boxy and open. Some more closed off area's would be nice.

Lighting is rather plane
          Water reflects some other level
          Don't use pink jumppads
          Fps is a bit draggy, but that's coz of the open nature of the map.

Comment

Just thought i'd bumbp this up again for xyz, maybe he can get some more views on it :up:

I played it and thought it was fun, it is only the first release too, so give it time guys :up:

Keep it up xyz

Comment

As I've said before I like the level and for me can become a keeper (btw,the name is very cool), but sadly, after playing more, I tend to agree with CTFX1 regarding the flow of the map, even if some statements are quite offensive, especially from someone who has not already released nothing (at least, I've not played nothing from him). But I think he's a good beta-tester, probably just because is a pain in the ***.

Comment

:/ i dont want to be offensive. i dont mean to be offensive. and dont worry i'm working on something, little screenie to prove it :P

and trust me that map is really early in its stages. and beta testing is a pain in the ***! a part of me does it cuz i want to help the community and the other part of me does it to learn stuff. what makes/breaks a map.

Comment

fun..very fun, this map will help keep me occupied for a while

Comment

this map shows some potential

the main problem was the openness of the lower level is just going to turn into a giant spam fest

but, even if people don't love this one i'd be willing to bet you could put out some high quality maps in the future

Comment

I thought it was great for some good 'ole carefree fragging. Very easy to just jump into and blast away.

Comment

Well it seems as though the map has been canned unfortunately

I think he looked at some of the comments here, then looked more at the map, and realised that it lacked potential (his words).

Xyz has started work on a new map, and i WAS meant to have a go on it today, but he wasn't about

I'm sure you'll all see something of it soon

Comment

Originally posted by woohah
                          this map shows some potential
                          but, even if people don't love this one i'd be willing to bet you could put out some high quality maps in the future
                          roger that man, i totally agree with this. looking forward to what he comes up with next round

Comment

Working...
                          X