DM-Claustrophobopolis [Beta] [Pics]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Claustrophobopolis [Beta] [Pics]

Q1DM2 was always my favorite DM map ever made, second only to Q1DM4, The Bad Place. My friends and i used to go to a lan game place here back when quake had just been released, and we always played the bad place, or claustrophobopolis.

I decided to remake it for 2004, ive been working on this about 3 days straight so far, the rough build is done, it needs lots of details in some areas. The central death room looks decent, mainly because thats where i started, and i have a very haphazard mapping style, ill work on something, then think "i should put a cool machine here or something" and end up browsing static meshes, then go work on something else, etc. The lava-heavy end of the map is the last bit i did, so its pretty devoid of detailing, texture fixing, or variety in textures. The scale is also really bad. Remakes for 200x are better bigger, but some areas in this map just feel monolithic. I like the tallness, but some of the rooms are just too frigging big. Ill have to see what i can do to fix it.

Im aiming for a futuristic theme on this, but trying to keep some of that spookiness and awesome shadows all over.

No bot pathing yet, im dreading it anyway. if anyone has any ideas on how to path bots across moving platforms over lava, please tell me.

I really need to do preview plays in high-res, i only noticed taking these screenshots that the detail texture on my overused wall texture causes moire patterns at a distance. Ugh.

Original map by American McGee, his finest hour.

Heres some screens

[shot]http://www.paintballchat.net/claus1.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://www.paintballchat.net/claus2.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://www.paintballchat.net/claus3.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://www.paintballchat.net/claus4.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://www.paintballchat.net/claus5.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://www.paintballchat.net/claus6.jpg[/shot]

Download link: http://www.paintballchat.net/q1dm2.zip

Comments/criticism welcome.

That is absolutely stunning. Quake had some of the best DM levels and this for sure will kick a ton of *** in the UT2k4 engine.

From the screenshots I am awestruck and frankly very excited to try it out, will critique it a bit later. Looks very smooth and I like that as compared to the gritty feel of the Quake original.

Comment

will be dl-in this after school, but the first thing i would say, is the lava... on the second pic, u see red circles in the lava... thats probably because of the light, or bad tex scaling or dunno but it sure looks weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayer.hun
        will be dl-in this after school, but the first thing i would say, is the lava... on the second pic, u see red circles in the lava... thats probably because of the light, or bad tex scaling or dunno but it sure looks weird.
        Whoops, i missed one for unlit.

Comment

Okay, I just barely tried the level. I couldn't really test the gameplay of it since the bots didn't want to move very much. The geometry seems to be pretty identical compared to the original but the scale of everything seems to be different, everything felt a lot larger, is it supposed to be like that? Nice to see all the traps and such still being there, although you should really make a proper volume for the lava, since I could just run in it like it wasn't lava at all.

I'm not sure what your goal is visually, but right now the map looks too bland. I'm not saying you should plant in a million static meshes, low amount of polygons can be a very good thing. But I think the textures should be a lot more varied. A little more geometry on some of the walls wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

What lava didnt hurt you? I thought i had lavavolumes on everything you could actually get in.

Comment

No, the lava did hurt me, it's just that I was able to run and jump around it like it wasn't anything there.

Comment

OK, I've taken a full look at this and I really don't like it in its current form. It's far too big, and feels very wrong because of it. Some of my ideas for this map:
                • Maybe put the lightning gun up top where the sludge gun is now
                • Make sure players can shield jump to get the double damage
                • Maybe change the style of the teleporters - they seem to look 'wrong' somehow
                • Definately try making a low detail build to get the scaling and play style right. Work on textures, meshes etc. later

I hate to have to say this, but in its current form, this just doesn't work

Comment

working link?

Anyone have a working link for this one? I have the UT version by Red_Fist, but can't find this one.

Comment

I have 5437 DM maps in my collection (UT2003 and 2004), but no Claustrophobopolis...

Comment

I found the map here : http://ludios.org/archive/uz2.gamese...4-listing.html .There are 5 versions, including Beta9,16,16b and 21. You can download via torrent, but it isn't necessary to download all the files, you select only DM-Claustrophobopolis. If you don't succeed, email me, I have the map now. (ovy69@yahoo.com). Good luck !

Comment

I have the map described in the first post. It is titled "DM-Q1dm2" and last modified on 4-20-2004 (like in the first post) but nothing is listed in the author field. What you found was probably by a different mapper, as there were a lot of Quake remakes.

This map seems to be constructed well, but is very bare bones. Texturing and decoration are very simple, lighting could use work, and it isn't bot pathed.

I've uploaded this map here: UT2004-DM-Q1dm2-EnosShenk.zip

Comment

Maybe you are right, Jefe. In the torrent version, we don't have Read Me files, so it is possible to be a different mapper. Anyway, the maps are named Claustrophobopolis. That's why I posted here.

Comment

Uh...I didn't have a readme. Normally you'll find the author's name in the map's properties; the torrent would have nothing to do with that; you just wouldn't be able to tell until the maps were finished downloading. All you need to do is look at the map the Instant Action map list or open it in UnrealEd and look at the level properties (f4.) Most mappers will put something there. But in this case, it seems he forgot (understandable for a beta), which makes it harder to identify. However the map in my collection matched not only the file name he gave, the last modified date is the same as his post, and it otherwise fits his description. That's why I'm reasonably sure that I have the right map. I don't have the original zip file or readme, so I made a zip to add screenshots and a readme with a brief explanation of the map.

The other Claustrophobopolis maps are probably also based on the same Quake map as this one, but it's likely someone else made them. I haven't downloaded them, so I have no idea. It's even possible they are edits of this map by some other mapper, or continued work by the original author. In any case, you will almost certainly see an author's name in the level's properties.

Comment

Working...
                            X