• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Vinadés (released)

Name: DM-Vinadés
    Version: 1.0
    Compatibility: UT2004 (and higher)

Hi folks, finally my first UT2004 map is released, and the map dont want to be called a clone.. but please read the official description:

Description: Vinadés is an Idoma stylelike Deathmatch Map. It represents
    the waiting room between Unreal Tournaments Sanctuary and
    Arborea. You can see a wooden and stony architecture where
    trees and plants are covering the walls. The Map consists
    of the two great halos flooded by light and some alleys
    around. Several ways leading to one point allows the
    players to start underhanded attacks or to be attacked
    underhanded..
    There are Static Meshes from DM-1on1-Idoma (UT2004 Retail)
    by Sjoerd -Hourences- De Jong - it's a great Map!
    Then great thanks to my Retail-High-Res-Renderer M@XIMUS he
    makes the Lightmaps more detailed as my Mobility Radeon
    could ever do..

Credits: Mapper - Sebastian 'Ra2k' Zander
    Testing - UT2004Planet.de's -jhg- & h3h3
    Retailrendering - M@XIMUS

here are also three pictures, they are 1024x768, better i'll link it URL like:
    picture 1 - picture 2 - picture 3

so here is the download: DM-Vinadés (4,1 MB @ UT2004Planet.de)

i'd be happy for feedback and maybe some words to your opinion of "clone" or "same style", u know..

thank you for downloading and testing my map, happy fraggin'!
    Sebastian

I like the fact that it's in the Idoma style. I'll download and try it out now.

Comment

You want to know my opinion? Well, here you go!

I wonder how people dare to come up with such maps. If I was a mapper, I tried to make original maps, that differ from others'.
      This should be called dm-idoma-remix or sg like this.

Here's my advice what to do with this map:
      -remove all the ideas that were taken (actually STOLEN) from dm-1on1-idoma,
      -take all that's left,
      -think of a theme by yourself (not simply "borrow" a stock maps')
      -and finish it to make your first OWN map.
      Since this isn't your's IMO. Although it is definitaley more, that those Gael-][-type maps, but this isn't enough.

I'd look at this as an effort on learning UED, but I wouldn't release this map.

I hope I didn't hurt you. Do some original stuff next time!

Comment

if the layout has changed, it's his. I don't care how many ideas he may have taken from iodima, even copying entire rooms, if the overall map is different, it IS his.

Comment

Originally posted by A2597
          if the layout has changed, it's his. I don't care how many ideas he may have taken from iodima, even copying entire rooms, if the overall map is different, it IS his.
          Maybe you're right. But still, I have a bad taste in my mouth after playing it.

Comment

Very cool map.

Comment

Originally posted by d-7
              remove all the ideas that were taken (actually STOLEN) from dm-1on1-idoma
              i think you didnt get the right point, when i mean "same style" then i mean "same genré" - there are surly hundrets of middleagestyled curse-like maps, just other architecture.. there are also many industrial styled maps and no one is a clone to each other.
              vinadés represents just a child of this genré of wooden and mossy design..
              and btw, not just my "first OWN map" - i still created some ut2003 maps with its own "idea" and i know the UED well..

and what do you mean with "Do some original stuff next time!" - all i took is from ut2004 (retail) - the most mappers take it from there (and the others design his own..) and all these mappers dont "do some original stuff" in your eyes?

Sebastian

Comment

Sorry if I sounded a bit rude.
                I just think you could do better. There are so many things in the 2k4 content (texts, SMs), and I think you should have used some more variety from other maps, not just idoma. They look too much the same. And it's not just the visuals, it's the architecture, too. Your map is not more IMO, than an expanded idoma. Not exactly the way as ctf-addien-dwy is the big brither of ctf-addien, but the general architecture is the same, not only the style/theme. Of course there are different corridors, more wood-ramps, more space, but in fact I don't see too much difference. Maybe that's because I played Idoma for the 1st time only 4-5 days ago, but that doesn't make a difference.
                Of course, that "STOLEN" wasn't ment to be about copyright, since you used stock content, not other author's custom content, but I still can't appreciate you as a good mapper (if we take this one map only), it would need more VARIETY. This just doesn't feel original enough for me.

Oh one thing came to my mind about this clone-style thing.
                David Bowie and Queen had a song 'Under Pressure' back in the 80's. It was good and was a hit. Later Vanilla Ice made it to the mainstream with Ice Ice Baby, that used almost the same melody. Was it a good song? Yes. Was it a hit? Yes. Was the song different from 'Under Pressure'? Yes. And I still don't appreciate Vanilla Ice as a musician for changing 2 notes.

Edit: OMG, what a jerky paralel! I should be talking about 'Radio version' and 'Extended remix version' of the same song...

Well, nevermind. It's just me and my stupid opinion. I see that others like it. Maybe I have a bad day or sg...

Comment

The map plays fine, but there are a few things in my opinion:

a) it's very bright at some areas, even too bright for me

b) the map looks too much the same everywhere....a few more different textures would have been good

So far .... J3FF

Comment

Originally posted by d-7
                    You want to know my opinion? Well, here you go!

I wonder how people dare to come up with such maps. If I was a mapper, I tried to make original maps, that differ from others'.
                    This should be called dm-idoma-remix or sg like this.

Here's my advice what to do with this map:
                    -remove all the ideas that were taken (actually STOLEN) from dm-1on1-idoma,
                    -take all that's left,
                    -think of a theme by yourself (not simply "borrow" a stock maps')
                    -and finish it to make your first OWN map.
                    Since this isn't your's IMO. Although it is definitaley more, that those Gael-][-type maps, but this isn't enough.

I'd look at this as an effort on learning UED, but I wouldn't release this map.

I hope I didn't hurt you. Do some original stuff next time!
                    omg ure are so right... :up:

Comment

@ d-7: thanks anyway and also thanks to Reversion and Bier.. and hmm, maybe d-7 is right..

in future anyway, i want to design my own staticmeshes with 3dsmax, but this project here.. i simple love the work of idoma creator hourences, and on the screenshots made by the first ut2004 owners i saw this map and i was impressed - yeah maybe i had to add more material that differs but i thought that could falsify the genré..

but i am still confident
                      Sebastian

Comment

:weird:

Sure does custom content help to stand out, but inspiration and creativity is the first thing IMO, and these should work with stock content-only, too.

Comment

looks very nice, but sense its so much like DM-idoma maybe making it a different game type, like CTF would have been better.

Comment

Wise "Idoma"-ized map.

I'm not talking about the default 1on1 map called Idoma, but I sure loved this map can do.

Love the atmosphere, lighting, layout, sounds, ramps, skybox, gameplay, and inspirited creativity of Idoma with default textures and meshes. (Not so sure how this map is a clone of Idoma or something, but I don't care to live this map very good!)

- Downloaded from "UT2004 mappack D" by RvA at L4Y.

Only one mirror I found:
                            http://www.gamefront.com/files/2586849/dm-vinades.zip

Comment

fun Idoma style map; good layout, gameplay, general atmosphere, lighting, forest sounds, textures/meshes, trim, dripping water, vegetation and music choice; the bots not bad but they could be better and not sure what all the fuss is about “stealing” Idoma because this is so far away from Idoma that it is it’s own map.

http://download.cnet.com/Unreal-Tour...-10283965.html

http://downloads.zdnet.com/product/2121-10283966/

http://ut2004.ut-files.com/index.php...dm-vinades.zip

Comment

Working...
                              X