No announcement yet.

DM-Outbreak - Incredible 10+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer game play over visuals and I think this map can really own in a 4vs4 TDM game. The map looks good anyway Antalus is a beatiful map so why not make terrain that is similar I see no harm in it.

Comment

Maybe I don’t get it.

Maybe I don’t get it.
      Some comments here state that this map doesn’t own because it isn’t original.
      A map doesn’t need to be original to be great. Game flow, item placement, look. Isn’t this what makes a map great? How original can you be with a realistic outdoor setting and still keep with a theme?
      If originality is that important, should levels that duplicate Legoland and Marioland own? To me these are just novelty maps. They are fun for a brief ride but do not stay on hard drives.
      Look at the quality of the transitions on this map from the inside to the outside. The perimeter on the map is also done very well. Many maps simply place outside walls that make the map look like mountains inside a prison. Or they limit exploring outside the map by an invisible barrier. How realistic is that?
      To me this map doesn’t own because of its originality. It owns because it plays really well with 3x3 or 4x4 TDM. Also because a lot of work went into the small details to make this map look as good as it plays. That is a very difficult combination in map making.

Comment

"maybe it's your systems that are doing the stuttering, not the levels. Usually an overheating CPU or overclocked CPU causes stuttering in games. Something to look into anyway"

The only maps that stutter on my machine are BR-Legacy, CTF-Unearthed and this one.... must be my sorry computer

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
        2 X 256MB Corsair Xtreme Cas2 (dual channel)
        TI 4200 128MB
        AMD XP2100 T-BRED "B" 13 X 166 / 2158Mhz
        CPU temp 35C under full load

maybe i need to upgrade

Comment

Re: Maybe I don’t get it.

Originally posted by masterblaster72
          Maybe I don’t get it.
          Some comments here state that this map doesn’t own because it isn’t original.
          A map doesn’t need to be original to be great. Game flow, item placement, look. Isn’t this what makes a map great? How original can you be with a realistic outdoor setting and still keep with a theme?
          If originality is that important, should levels that duplicate Legoland and Marioland own? To me these are just novelty maps. They are fun for a brief ride but do not stay on hard drives.
          Look at the quality of the transitions on this map from the inside to the outside. The perimeter on the map is also done very well. Many maps simply place outside walls that make the map look like mountains inside a prison. Or they limit exploring outside the map by an invisible barrier. How realistic is that?
          To me this map doesn’t own because of its originality. It owns because it plays really well with 3x3 or 4x4 TDM. Also because a lot of work went into the small details to make this map look as good as it plays. That is a very difficult combination in map making.
          I couldn't agree with you more. This map is definitely a 10+ !

Comment

I give it a 7.5. It's above average, but I've played better. No means a bad map though.

Comment

This is an incredible map, definatly one of the best custom maps put out (along with DM-hypsohobia, my fav). The transition from outside to inside is beautiful. I would be suprised if this didnt get ownage.

Comment

Good map...but it definitely has it share of quirks. There's a couple of places where going from outside to indoors, you have to jump to get thru the door/openings...

I didn't get the "stuttering" that was mentioned, and FPS seemed good (didn't check it, but it didn't get laggy on me either).

It's a quite good rendition on a oft used theme, IMO. Ownage? Perhaps. But there's others that I think more deserving...For example, buckyfg's CTF-Shire, or any of Teddie's Decks[FuT] (DM/CTF/DD/BR) maps, amongst others.....

That's the beauty of all these mapmakers...there's always someone putting out a new map somewhere, that in opinion (yours, mine, someone else's), really rocks. I enjoyed the heck out of DM-Celled_Facility. The style of it I find very interesting. A lot of these uber-detailed maps make the weapons and ammo look cartoonish, that map does the exact opposite, to me.

10+? No. (again, my opinion.) Good enough to put on my server? Absolutely. But I think there's other maps equally, if not more deserving of "Ownage".

My $.03 (tax incl.)

B.

Comment

I haven't tested that map yet coz I'm not home yet but about the stuttering, I found that the stuttering (although you have high fps) has NOTHING to do with the cpu but it is related to the design of the map. Maps which have lot's of BSP poly's in view will stutter now matter how high your fps is, it's like the renderer pauses and gets slow over the bsp.

Maps that I have stuttering in: dm-campgrounds beta (2000+ bsp poly's in view) dm-agony2003 (4000+ bsp poly's).

NONE of the epic maps have this issue on my pc and they are mostly far more detailed than the two I just mentioned here.

If mappers still want to use bsp alot they should learn to ****ing zone it properly, especially that agony remake bah! It as no zoning at all and all the bsp is drawn all the time causing that stuttering while the card still renders over a 100 fps doh!

UT2003 has a far better triangle throughput via staticmeshes created in 3d modelling programs, so read up on it on udn.epicgames.com before you start making a map.

Comment

Originally posted by PlickBadger
                    "maybe it's your systems that are doing the stuttering, not the levels. Usually an overheating CPU or overclocked CPU causes stuttering in games. Something to look into anyway"

The only maps that stutter on my machine are BR-Legacy, CTF-Unearthed and this one.... must be my sorry computer

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
                    2 X 256MB Corsair Xtreme Cas2 (dual channel)
                    TI 4200 128MB
                    AMD XP2100 T-BRED "B" 13 X 166 / 2158Mhz
                    CPU temp 35C under full load

maybe i need to upgrade
                    definitely no need to upgrade.
                    perfect system for UT2k3

ctf-unearthed causes stuttering on my system too. Try Deck 16 III, stuttering too. Other Maps run fine.
                    A special case is DM-Asbestos with EAX 3DSound. Dodgjumping causes bad stutering.

My System:
                    A7V8X Bios 1002
                    Athlon XP 1600 @ 1785 MHZ
                    GF4 TI 4600 @ 315/720
                    Audigy 2 on 6.1 Creative 6700
                    Hardware 3D EAX in UT2k3

Comment

low framerate during botmatch for me in this one.

guessing i would need to upgrade for this map to work better.

*shrug* looks nice but man it sure is bad on my box

Comment

Working...
                      X