Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UTClassic Maps (Beta 4)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by meowcat View Post
    Do you have any plans to convert the bonus pack maps too?
    Yes, the bonus pack maps will be included in the next release (no idea when, with so many maps I have a lot of bot testing and fixing ahead).

    Comment


      #17
      Oh yes nice, I am liking even more.
      I found a link to a Ripper for using in it, I can't remember if the UT weapons mutator had it in there.
      http://www.gamefront.com/files/3850356
      or google: 2k4_ripperv3.zip
      http://www.moddb.com/mods/ut2341-hd-arsenal
      http://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-tou...t-revolution-a

      Comment


        #18
        Beta 2 is out. Many maps got fixes and 30 bonus pack maps have been added. Enjoy!

        Comment


          #19
          Thanks for doing this, I do like this a lot.

          Comment


            #20
            Hmm, seems like the download is broken! Can you maybe package the new maps separately?

            [EDIT] hmm, tried twice and the download failed both times around 190Mb.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by meowcat View Post
              Hmm, seems like the download is broken! Can you maybe package the new maps separately?

              [EDIT] hmm, tried twice and the download failed both times around 190Mb.
              hmm, I downloaded and unpacked the file twice without problems (logged out from mediafire too)... I guess next time I'll split the pack into two parts.

              I added the link to the updated files in the first post.

              Comment


                #22
                Thank you UnreAlex! The update file downloaded just fine. These new conversions are great, brings back good memories from many years ago! I'm really digging the old Bonus Pack CTF maps.

                Comment


                  #23
                  I'm going to put these maps on my invasion server to do some more in-depth testing. But I looked at a few of the maps and I noticed a couple of minor things. First, your level preview textures need to be set to LODset_Interface. Try putting your textures to lowest in the display settings, then go to the map selection screen in instant action. Notice how all your previews are extra blurry, but most other maps aren't? This is why.

                  Also it doesn't seem you set up materials properly in many of the levels. For one thing, stepping on a metal surface should sound different than concrete. These are in your texture properties, just like the LODset stuff. The material in the Healpod in Heapod has some draw order issues, making characters disappear behind it. I didn't look in the editor on any of these maps or anything, so I don't know what the specific problem is there, but try playing around with shader/final blend settings to fix. Also some textures look overly blurry, which is mostly a problem with the original textures. You can somewhat improve the look of some textures by setting them to LODset_interface as well - as seen above this helps keep them from blurring when world textures are on "normal" or below.

                  On the plus side you didn't give the music files new names, which is good, because the majority of those file names are already around and people will be able to hear the music without downloading a bunch of duplicates. Also I see that you're using the original UT detail textures, which is something that the majority of UT converters neglect. For the most part everything looks great, but compared to a few maps I already run (like StalwartXL, Pyramid) I prefer the ones I currently have on my server, so I will eventually remove most of the duplicates.

                  Here's the address of my server:

                  http://www.gametracker.com/server_in....165.172:7777/

                  It's usually on invasion mode, but you can vote in other gametypes.

                  Also, I agree with what other have said here, you should be using the grenade launcher as a replacement rather than the AR. Also, personally I think the UT2003 and 2004 weapon bases look awful in the context of UT99 maps. I often reskin the weapon bases in my maps and change or turn off the emitter effect; do something unique there or you can just set the mesh to be hidden to be more like UT99. A darker, grittier texture would look better, which you can also achieve by changing the ambient glow properties in the static mesh settings.

                  EDIT:
                  Anyway, we played a few maps, so far so good. CTF Ratchet has a Hall of Mirrors at the entrance to the blue base. Also some collision problems on DM-Oblivion when walking up ramps, you get stuck.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by jefe View Post
                    I'm going to put these maps on my invasion server to do some more in-depth testing. But I looked at a few of the maps and I noticed a couple of minor things. First, your level preview textures need to be set to LODset_Interface. Try putting your textures to lowest in the display settings, then go to the map selection screen in instant action. Notice how all your previews are extra blurry, but most other maps aren't? This is why.
                    I didn't even think about testing on low settings. Anyway, it's a quick fix.

                    Originally posted by jefe View Post
                    Also it doesn't seem you set up materials properly in many of the levels. For one thing, stepping on a metal surface should sound different than concrete. These are in your texture properties, just like the LODset stuff. The material in the Healpod in Heapod has some draw order issues, making characters disappear behind it. I didn't look in the editor on any of these maps or anything, so I don't know what the specific problem is there, but try playing around with shader/final blend settings to fix. Also some textures look overly blurry, which is mostly a problem with the original textures. You can somewhat improve the look of some textures by setting them to LODset_interface as well - as seen above this helps keep them from blurring when world textures are on "normal" or below.
                    I didn't set material sounds because UT99 don't use them. I made only essential changes to the maps, like adding detail textures (without them maps look bad). I might to set the sounds in later betas. Changing ZWrite to false of the finalblend in DM-HealPod fixes the issue.

                    Originally posted by jefe View Post
                    Also, I agree with what other have said here, you should be using the grenade launcher as a replacement rather than the AR. Also, personally I think the UT2003 and 2004 weapon bases look awful in the context of UT99 maps. I often reskin the weapon bases in my maps and change or turn off the emitter effect; do something unique there or you can just set the mesh to be hidden to be more like UT99. A darker, grittier texture would look better, which you can also achieve by changing the ambient glow properties in the static mesh settings.
                    Alright then, I'll put the GL instead (at least for now). I do agree the UT2003/4 weapon bases don't look too good with UT99 maps. I'll probably hide all the base meshes.

                    Originally posted by jefe View Post
                    EDIT:
                    Anyway, we played a few maps, so far so good. CTF Ratchet has a Hall of Mirrors at the entrance to the blue base. Also some collision problems on DM-Oblivion when walking up ramps, you get stuck.
                    You'll find many different collision issues in Face,Kosov,Niven,SpaceNoxx..., but it's because of the convertion/scaling.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by UnreAlex View Post
                      I didn't even think about testing on low settings. Anyway, it's a quick fix.



                      I didn't set material sounds because UT99 don't use them. I made only essential changes to the maps, like adding detail textures (without them maps look bad). I might to set the sounds in later betas. Changing ZWrite to false of the finalblend in DM-HealPod fixes the issue.




                      Alright then, I'll put the GL instead (at least for now). I do agree the UT2003/4 weapon bases don't look too good with UT99 maps. I'll probably hide all the base meshes.



                      You'll find many different collision issues in Face,Kosov,Niven,SpaceNoxx..., but it's because of the convertion/scaling.
                      Setting up material sounds doesn't detract from the UT-ness of these maps in any way, and it adds to immersion. You only really need to do it for surfaces that you walk on, it's a quick fix, just like the screenshots, might as well do it at the same time.

                      As for the collision problems, you can try setting some surfaces to nonsolid and placing a somewhat differently shaped blocking volume in its place (the volumes can be set to have to correct surface sounds too, in the collision properties.) If your BSP won't cooperate, you can try converting some things like ramps to static meshes, turn off collision, then set up your blocking volumes. Static meshes react to lighting differently than BSP, so it can take a bit of work to get them to match surrounding BSP that uses the same texture. A few techniques you can use: try setting the mesh to special lit and place dim special lit light sources nearby, changing the scale glow factor in the static mesh properties, using a color modifier or combiner to darken, or duplicating the texture and darkening it in an image editor. Unfortunately getting collision right is a bit time consuming, but worth it.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Say Jefe is there anything new for yer Server? I gotten kinda bored from the same ol' stuff.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          I've been working on maps quite a bit this year, aside from UTCRAFT I also did several map revamps, which you can see in the DC map forum. But this thread isn't the place to discuss that.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Beta 3 is out.

                            Besides countless fixes, I hid all weapon/health/armor base meshes and changed the Assault Rifle with the Grenade Launcher.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Why not putting all that stuff on the moddb ? It's also a good way to promote this mod and have the CDom mod as well.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Blade_hunter View Post
                                Why not putting all that stuff on the moddb ? It's also a good way to promote this mod and have the CDom mod as well.
                                Yeah, I wanted to put it there in the first place, but some maps are too buggy yet. Maybe next time.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X