Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vctf-vennskap

Hi lovely fighters and mappers.

It is only a beta, because some parts are not really ended.
    I need your feed back abot the FPS and the lighting.
    I affraid some part of the map use too much and was laggy.
    And i am not sure about the lighting, mb too darky or not. I need your help.

About the map :

The general layout was an evolution from VCTF-Thruthfull (in smaller and simpler). The idea came from Heady a long time ago during a game.
    I am try to make a style near the steampunk. But it's not easy. That explain is little bit coppery and woody with orange colors.

Special Thx for :
    Nova about a special mover and a special avril.
    Jan 'Luggage' Kaluza about a fence staticmesh.
    Hourrence about few textures.
    Anybody who try the map or give me a feedback.

Number players : 6 vs 5
    Weapon : all without spider.
    Super weapon : redemer
    Vehicles : manta, scorpion, hellbender and paladin

Story :
    You are playing under the sea in an old plant to produce nothing. The place is empty. When it was active, the lava could produce the steam to heat the place and produce the electricty for the pumps.
    The plant could extract the mineral parts from the deepness.

Link to download : >>> VCTF-VENNSKAP

Some screens :

Quick impressions: The lighting and visual theme looks very good for the most part. The theme would be almost perfect if this was a DM map. However, this is for VCTF, and it is really hard to tell which side of the map you're on since there aren't any obvious team colors, meshes or indicators that I can see other than the flags themselves. That's bad. At first I thought the lava and goop might be related to the bases (lava for red side and goop for blue) but no, both bases have green goop and lava is in the center of the map. Personally, I really don't like seeing both together on one map, but using both is a valid way to add base colors. The terrain outside the level looks a bit too bright and could use some improvement. I suggest remaking the terrain layer in a larger terrain size that goes farther in the distance and is a bit smoother. You could also use a projector effect on it, like in ONS-Severance. Also using two separate sunlight actors would give the terrain a bit of contrast in color so it doesn't look so unlit. Similarly, the skybox could use a bit of a moving water effect (something like the water mesh in CTF-CannonFodder2 would work, and/or a shader effect could be applied to the glass barriers, like in DOM-Atlantis.)

Otherwise, the theme looks good and has some very nice mesh work already. Just needs more team colors more than anything. A few more funky looking meshes with pipes and gears or whatever with team colors and lights are just what this map needs to set it apart and make it easier to tell which side you are on.

Audio: the dolphin/whale calls are really, really, REALLY grating after a while. On top of that, there's no music track set, which makes the sound even more annoying. Please set a song. I suggest making that sound an occasional event rather than have it constantly repeating on a loop. Zone infos should have a zone sound effect set also.

BUG: You also have the weapon base bug. Please fix.

No comment on gameplay, just looked around briefly.

Comment

Thx for your time.

@Color sides = I could see in the ohter maps (most of them or the most popular in VCTF), the color side is only necessary at the begining. After, the players know the map.
      But, I though i can try to add some smoothy colors (red and blue) to improve this part. I don't think i follow you about the lava and th goop, Because the this part don't kill the players. If i add a killing volume, i affraid the escape become too hard.

@Terrain : I can understand what u mean. But, i am not sure, the player look at ouside. The terrain use many FPS and it's juste a deco. I think i'll transforme to a statickmesh.

@Syxbox : I ll look these maps. During a time, i tested the glass barriers from DOM-Atlantis. But the result don't make enough good for me, they disapaerred. Mb, there is not enough light on it. I ll try again.

@Sound = I fixe that. I believe everybody do like me. I swith off the song. I ll add a song for the strange player.
      After, i think, i 'll remove the wale sound, or i increase the time between to cry. I could descover it's crappy. I should use the occasionnal event like you wrote.

@ Weapon base Bug ???. Strange !!

Thx o///

Comment

Hey heimdalir long time since last map you made! Nice improvements, I saw that weaponbase bug too.

PD: Apart for ut2004 is there any chance to see you mapping for next and new ut when the gametype selection get official by Epic (right now is very still soon)? I would love to see you doing vctf maps dude

Comment

I think there is no chance to see me in UT4 to make a map.
          I have got a problem with price. I don't like pay each month something. I fell paying taxes.
          I understand why they do like that. But, without me.

Comment

Originally posted by Heimdallr View Post
            Thx for your time.

@Color sides = I could see in the ohter maps (most of them or the most popular in VCTF), the color side is only necessary at the begining. After, the players know the map.
            But, I though i can try to add some smoothy colors (red and blue) to improve this part. I don't think i follow you about the lava and th goop, Because the this part don't kill the players. If i add a killing volume, i affraid the escape become too hard.

@Terrain : I can understand what u mean. But, i am not sure, the player look at ouside. The terrain use many FPS and it's juste a deco. I think i'll transforme to a statickmesh.

@Syxbox : I ll look these maps. During a time, i tested the glass barriers from DOM-Atlantis. But the result don't make enough good for me, they disapaerred. Mb, there is not enough light on it. I ll try again.

@Sound = I fixe that. I believe everybody do like me. I swith off the song. I ll add a song for the strange player.
            After, i think, i 'll remove the wale sound, or i increase the time between to cry. I could descover it's crappy. I should use the occasionnal event like you wrote.

@ Weapon base Bug ???. Strange !!

Thx o///
            About the lava and goop, they just look weird together in the same map. As a general rule, I think it should be one or the other but not both. I think it would be better if there was a blue colored liquid on the blue side, and red on the red side, rather than green on both sides. And yes, colors are important when both sides of the map look identical. Players in team games should always be able to tell at a glance which way they need to go. Being confused can cause players to lose precious seconds that might help the other team score.

Weapon base bug and how to fix:

Comment

Map looks interesting.

Jefe: Bad orientation skills must be punished! Also, isn't the ball thingy near the capture counter made to show where the bases are?

Comment

Working...
              X