Jetpack for UT2k4 [DL][Pic][14 Jan 2015]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you liked it!
    I actually already added the texture to the .u file in UEd. Also adjusted smoothing groups on the model to fit the cubemap better.
    Here's the file: http://sta.sh/01m7j6012mbh
    Since I'm no coder I just added the new materials over the old ones so you might want to edit the package to include all 3 versions.

Comment

I was wondering if you could make it function like jetpack in Tribes: it activates when pressing jump, boosts you up as long as you hold the button and deactivates when you release it.
      I tried to emulate this by binding InventoryActivate|Jump|OnRelease InventoryActivate to space but it doesn't work.

Comment

Hi UnShame, I've never played Tribes, but based on your description, yeah I think I could make it do that. I'll try to add that as an option (along with incorporating Aberiu's new skin for the pack) in the next update. It probably won't be a for a couple of weeks though as I'm working on some other of my mod updates (custom vehicle sitting animations for the standard UT2k4 player skeletons for my TD Vehicles pack among other things)

Comment

Finally got around to working this project while on holiday break.

@ Aberiu, would you mind sending just the texture .dds (or .tga) file? I don't like extracting stuff from the .u files since I think it may end up screwing with the mip maps. I'll add your skinned model as a separate selectable jetpack in the mutator.

@ UnShame: I've implemented the "jump-to-activate/stop-jumping-to-deactivate" function now and it works well. Once I incorporate Aberiu's skin for the pack, I'll upload the new version.

Comment

You can open the .u file in texture browser and rename or export the textures, no need to extract them.

Comment

exporting them from UEd is basically extracting them, but in any case I guess they look OK when re-imported (I re-saved them as .dds format from JASC PaintShopPro) so it should be alright. In the past I've seen the mip-maps get corrupted (become all black for a given mip-map level) when reimporting exported/extracted .dds files so I prefer to import from "clean" .dds or .tga files.

I should have the new version posted sometime tomorrow evening (~24 hours from now).

Comment

New version 3 posted, see link in the first thread post.

Comment

My vpn subscription ran out recently so I can't download from gamefront any more, but judging by the pics the model needs hard edges for the cubemap to work correctly. I actually already fixed that issue when making my .u file, you can find the new model there.

Comment

If you could mark up the edges in a pic or the UV map that would be fine, I can adjust the edges from that. What did you use to pull my model out of the .u file to begin with? UModel.exe always screwed up the joint orientations on extracted skeletal mesh .psk files (at least the last time I used it several years ago...)

I'll upload the file to ModDB once I get a few other folks to test it first (to make sure I did not mess up any other obvious issues).

Comment

This is great! With multidodging on it feels amazing to fly around maps like Actioncity.
                      Would be nice to have more options to tweak - refilling speed, air control, vertical acceleration (right now it has a constant speed); and a fuel indicator in a form of a bar.
                      Also when it runs out of fuel it should turn itself off before it gets to like 5%, and then turn on again, instead of what it does now (which is clicking annoyingly, at least when it's activated by pressing jump). The jump button activation mode also doesn't let you swim up underwater properly.

Comment

Thanks for trying it out UnShame! Yeah, I've noticed the water thing too (also happens in vehicles), and the constant clicking when fuel is low (I need to add some hysteresis to that). I'll fix the issues you mentioned (I like the fuel bar idea) and see about adding some further adjustments. I might have it ready in a week or two.

Comment

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...iu-d8cow8l.jpg

I used Umodel, it worked fine.

Comment

Can you make the bots use the Jetpacks too?

Comment

@ Aberiu: thanks that pic is perfect! must be a newer version of Umodel, the old one definitely did not treat the skeletal rotations correctly for bones at the end of chains.

@ hunterman: yes...maybe. I may give it a try later, but to really make the bots use the jetpack properly (e.g. used to correctly make large jumps across otherwise unnavigable gaps, take into consideration fuel consumption, dodge with the jetpack and use it in cool ways when attacking or defending against enemies ) would require better navigation networks in existing maps and new bot code, which there is no way I am going to spend my limited free-time on.

Now, that being said, I should be able to use some "hacky" methods to monitor what the Bot is doing and turn the jetpack on and off for them (e.g. the jetpack inventory would periodically check the Bot's variables and maybe turn the jet pack on for them if they are trying to jump, or perform some code abomination (subclassed translocator inventory etc and faked bot movement code..) to trick them to use the jetpack by making them act as though they had a translocator), but I don't expect it to work all that well since I won't be rewriting any of the "decision" making code. As and example, when to properly use the translocator is deeply embedded in the way the UnrealGame.Bot code functions, and in the pathnode navigation system. Some folks have recommended that I fake bot jetpack flying as a vehicle so that the bots will use FlyingPathNodes, but most maps I've seen with flyingpathnodes have them way, way up in the sky, and using the jetpack up that high is not really a good idea (besides where is the fun in shooting at some tiny speck in the sky?).

Comment

Please scale it down abit as finalization and make
                                sure theres not a too big distance to the using bot!

Comment

Working...
                                X