Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jetpack for UT2k4 [DL][Pic][14 Jan 2015]

Title: YM Jetpack
    Description: Three jetpacks for UT2k4 that mimic the behavior of the jetpack from Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire. One looks "old skool" (low poly), the other two are higher poly like the jetpack from Halo:Reach, one with a high-res skin by Aberiu
    Version: Rev-4, 14 January 2015 for UT2k4
    Author: Meowcat (models, skins, physics code), Aberiu for high-res new skin.

Download the 3rd version Link Here!
    ModDB Link here!

<->

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I'd used the jetpack by Phoenix but could never quite get the handle of it so I decided to try making my own to mimic the behavior of the jetpack from SW:SOTE. I used some of the code examples in the previous jetpack mod (specifically for capturing key-presses) but everything else was created/written over the last day or two (I used various bits of code from my YARM ninja-rope, and other powerup code). I made it to be compatible with the default UT2k4 characters and my YARM pawns.

To use the jetpack either summon it in game or use the YM Jetpack mutator. Make sure to bind a key to the "Activate Inventory" control, as that is what turns the jet pack on and off. Once its on just hold down the jump key to boot up, if you let go of the key the jetpack will slow your descent while minimizing "fuel burn." You will hover 'wobbily' above the ground (about 64uus). The "fuel" recharges while the jetpack is not on. Also there is now an option to have the jetpack actovate only when the player is jumping (per UnShame's request). I've done some minimal testing in network games and it seems to work ok.

[EDIT 14 Jan 2015] Updated to include a few bug fixes, and some very basic bot jetpack usage functionality. "Code hooks" are included for those who want to try writing some better bot usage of the jetpack (basically the decision making of when to turn the jetpack on and off); a sample .uc script is included, I would love to incorporate some better AI usage code!

Please leave feedback!

[EDIT Aug 29 2015] New ModDB link for the Jetpack

Cool, I'll have to check this out.

Comment

gamefront suck mate!

Comment

I like it. I couldn't find where to bind a key at first, it was under some of the UT2004 key binds. I don't think I've ever used it.
        I like that you can kinda like jump around to like anywhere in the map.
        The only thing I could think I would maybe change is the skin, to make it a little more realistic, not that it looks bad.
        Nice mutator, I think I like this one better than the other jetpack, which was more bulky and had too much emitter smoke.

Comment

I noticed that if you're moving quickly through the air and activate the Jetpack, your airspeed is maintained while it's activated. Using Ballistic Sprint with Speed activated and dodge jumping into pack activation makes for very quick movement, as long as the player doesn't release W and use a different keyboard direction.

I'm aware Sprint is non-standard, but it will of course allow Speed to benefit the Jetpack.

Jetpack itself is nice and intuitive to use. Could benefit, as Parkis said above, from a bit more skin work.

Comment

Is it maybe possible to make the jetpack
            useable for bots as replace vehicle?

Comment

Hi Everyone. Thank you for trying the jetpack out. I have a new version ready to go with another new jetpack model, however I'm having some trouble uploading it right now the Game Front. See the first post for a new picture of the other jetpack model.

[EDIT] Having some problems with the file loader at GameFront so here is the file instead: ym_JetPack_meowcat_Sept222013nopic.zip

[EDIT] New version linked in the 1st post

Comment

Very pretty! *applause*

Comment

Love the new appearance.

Comment

The new model is nice, but I like that you left the more 'toony one too.

I noticed sometimes the mesh would not be on my character; like when I die while it's not activated. I think mesh should stay regardless of activation.

Control is good, feels like what I think a jet pack would feel like. Possible get bots to use?

Comment

Love them! I would love to see the mod ported over to UT3 because the one in UT3 has a bad habit of making your character drop as if he or she is using a hoverboard!

Comment

Maybe someone else could convert the
                        thang to aircraft so that bots also know it?

Comment

In another mod that gave all players wings, the bots started to use the map's air pathnodes so maybe that could be an option too.

Comment

meowcat
                            After your last comment in my thread I suddenly remembered about this jetpack, which I liked a lot, but I thought the texture could be improved a bit. I had some free time yesterday so I decided to practice some modeling and texturing and made my own version, I hope you don't mind:

in UEd:

If you want to add this texture to your mutator I can upload it somewhere.

Comment

Hi Aberiu, that looks fantastic! I'm game to add it to the mutator, just PM me a link to the files! The weather where I live is still too nice to be spending time indoors (I've been hiking every weekend for the last couple of months...) so I may not get to updating this for a while, so no rush.

Comment

Working...
                              X