[Vehicles] Hover tank collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Vehicles] Hover tank collection

A bit over a year ago I created a proof-of-concept hover tank, which eventually got the name "Poltergeist". Over the last few months I was working on additional hover tank implementations with the intend to make them different from the standard UT2004 vehicles, without wandering too far off from the standard vehicles' balance. Now I can finally present live versions of these hover tanks as a beta test.

As a preview, I won't show screenshots, because they don't tell much about these vehicles. Instead, I created a few short video clips for each of the five unique hover tanks. Since then, the tanks have still changed a bit, but the videos should give you a good idea what's going on. (In case you wonder about the map, that's the Omni fully vehicle loadout map.)
    • The Poltergeist is a one-seater with a heat ray and an energy shock wave as its fire modes. The heat ray works like that of the UT3 Darkwalker and is good for long-range attacks. The shock wave is a short-range attack that covers a relatively large area in front of the tank and can be used to get rid of pesky infantry and incoming AVRiLs, though it is a bit hard to time correctly.
    • The Firebug, an agile one-seater with dual flamethrowers. The flames are great for roasting enemy infantry or defending against AVRiL rockets. Unlike the other hover tanks, the Firebug can use its weapon to perform a fiery jump move that also has some damage output.
    • The Nekomata, a tank heavily inspired by Battlefield 2142 (any complaints about it should go to Crusha K. Rool, it's all his fault :P), but otherwise much like a Goliath. The video shows a standard minigun turret, but I actually exchanged that for a Gauss turret. The "Gauss Cannon" is a primary weapon from Descent 2 and I already used it for the Railgun Tank before. "Nekomata" means "forked cat" in Japanese and refers to a high-ranked cat demon.
    • The Nephthys is based on the Nekomata chassis, but equipped with a powerful singularity generator. Its primary fire mode looks much like that of the Paladin, but the projectile actually attracts nearby objects and implodes on impact. The alternate fire mode charges the point singularity until it turns into a full-sized gravity vortex. If you ever played Chaos UT for UT1 or UT200x, you will know what that means.
      Its secondary turret is a Lightning Gun with slightly higher damage output and rate of fire.
    • The Odin can be considered the "Hover Leviathan" of the collection. It is a bit larger and slower than the other tanks and can take quite some beating. Its main weapon is a focused ion cannon that takes a bit to charge before the shot, but then works a lot like a larger version of the Railgun Tank's main weapon. (see above) The shot is a lot weaker than that of a Leviathan, but definitely more powerful than any other standard vehicle - most vehicles are destroyed with one or two direct hits. The only downside it that the Odin's main turret is a bit hard to aim, as it is fixed forward and can only turn up and down.
      To prevent blind spots, the Odin has not just one, but actually two twin-link turrets. These can fire dual plasma shots or link beams that automatically lock onto enemy and friendly vehicles. Friendly vehicles and nodes can be healed, while enemy vehicles and nodes serve as energy source for the Odin's self-healing feature. Self-healing is not very efficient, less than 15% of the damage output is converted to repair the Odin.
    • And finally the Hover Goliath. It's the standard Goliath equipped with a hover engine. I didn't include a video for this, as you can easily imagine how it works.

Download
    For testing convenience, and in case mappers like to put the hover tanks into their own Onslaught or VCTF maps, the hover tank collection is distributed as a modified version of ONS-IslandHop:
    ONS-IslandHop-HoverMeUp-RC.7z
    This is a release candidate. In other words, unless further bugs are found, the code in the map is identical to what will be released as the final version.
    As an additional feature, the map contains a custom actor called "ONSWithTranslocator", to be found under Actor >> Info in the class browser. If you place it in the map, all players will have the Translocator as additional starting weapon. Despite its name, it should also work in VCTF and other vehicle game types.

Hilarious - great!
    Thanks!

Comment

I like them!
      Finally the class name of the tank makes sense.

About the Poltergeist: The sound should be a bit shorter so that it fits the beam.

The Nekomata: Perhaps you could find a different sound for the machine gun? I just dislike that melon seed spitter...

I REALLY like the Nephtys! You seem to have taken sound and mechanics of the vortex from the Chaos mod, right? ^^

Odin seems very cool too. I hope you made the turrets so that they can't damage the vehicle itself?

(Did not test yet)

Comment

TBH I never played Onslaught with friendly fire enabled. As turrets and their base vehicles are separate Pawns, the team damage rules come into play and prevent the gunner from destroying his own vehicle. I didn't put any other protection in place, but I guess that shouldn't be hard to implement. The same applies to the Nephthys lightning turret, which can it the tank an thus damage it if friendly fire is enabled.

Speaking of the Nephthys, yes the sounds are modified versions of the Chaos UT 2 Gravity Vortex sounds. The mechanics are very similar, but I created the Nephthys Gravity Vortex from scratch. I did work on the Chaos UT 2 Gravity Vortex as well, btw.

Poltergeist beam sound - check.
        Nekomata turret fire sound - hmm. I'll try to find a different sound. However, what you hear there is the actual fire rate, i.e. one sound per shot, unlike the Goliath minigun turret, which uses an ambient sound that is not related to the actual fire rate. It just doesn't matter there due to the high firerate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
          [*]The Nekomata, a tank heavily inspired by Battlefield 2042 […]
          Seems like you are 100 years in the past. ._.

It was the last good Battlefield game, got at least to spell it's name correctly. Where else could you command and move a giant flying base with a Power Core that is protected by four different destroyable switches which had to be attacked by launching your team with drop pods from an APC on the ground onto the mothership after taking it's shields down by holding the Nodes on the ground long enough for them to shoot guided missiles at the ship? :>
          (At least the APC with drop pods would have been a nice addition for UT2k4 as well on some maps that have buildings with strategically important roofs like ONS-Minus)

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
            TBH I never played Onslaught with friendly fire enabled. As turrets and their base vehicles are separate Pawns, the team damage rules come into play and prevent the gunner from destroying his own vehicle. I didn't put any other protection in place, but I guess that shouldn't be hard to implement. [...]

Speaking of the Nephthys, yes the sounds are modified versions of the Chaos UT 2 Gravity Vortex sounds. The mechanics are very similar, but I created the Nephthys Gravity Vortex from scratch. I did work on the Chaos UT 2 Gravity Vortex as well, btw.

[...]
            Nekomata turret fire sound - hmm. I'll try to find a different sound. [...]
            I always play with FF, so I'd appreciate a protection... ^^

Oh, good to know you're the genius behind this. *crawl crawl*

If you want I could try looking for a new sound or even making one...

Comment

I found another one, but I'm not sure if it might get annoying as well. Maybe if I add a minimum amount of pitch randomization, like it is done in UT3 everywhere...

Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
              Seems like you are 100 years in the past. ._.

It was the last good Battlefield game, got at least to spell it's name correctly. Where else could you command and move a giant flying base with a Power Core that is protected by four different destroyable switches which had to be attacked by launching your team with drop pods from an APC on the ground onto the mothership after taking it's shields down by holding the Nodes on the ground long enough for them to shoot guided missiles at the ship? :>
              (At least the APC with drop pods would have been a nice addition for UT2k4 as well on some maps that have buildings with strategically important roofs like ONS-Minus)
              I'm sorry for hurting your feelings about the best game of a series I never even considered playing.

Comment

sweet, new vehicles
                In case you wonder about the map, that's the Omni fully vehicle loadout map
                could you upload the map itself somewhere please, none of the links in that thread seem to work
                edit: firebug is hilarious, i'd love to see a version of it with more air control and infinite vertical boost capacity for **** and giggles

Comment

These look pretty cool Wormbo. Particularly digging the Odin as a supervehicle -- It seems very powerful at first with high damage and relatively high rate of fire, but being a fixed gun without having a huge splash radius actually makes it challenging to use. What you've done with the vehicle visually is also quite distinctive.

Comment

Alright, release candidate 1 of the hover tank collection is up, wrapped in the Island Hop map as before. (See end of first post for the link.)
                    If no further bugs are found within the next, say, two weeks, I will release the final version of the package and it will be code-identical to what is available in the map right now.

In other words, it is relatively save now to use the hover tanks in new map already.

Comment

Awesome! Odin turrets can't damage the tank itself, Nekomata has a very cool machine gun sound...

I don't know anything that could be improved.

Comment

Working...
                      X