Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    New version is here!
    You can download the version 2 of the map here (Required files from BP2 ).

There are two versions of the map in the archive:
    -Regular: low fps, pretty looks, two hidden places - version for offline play
    -Night: good fps, different look, no hidden places - version for servers

There was supposed to be an RC2 version and then a Version 1 without much changes from RC1 but the Editor kept crashing on me so instead I made some major changes to fix the issue and skipped Version 1 entirely.

Here's what I did:
    -Scaled the map down to a 3/4 of what it was before. Plays much faster now and doesn't crash the Editor anymore, which helps me a lot.
    -Night version introduced instead of the Foggy version, changes on it see below
    -Fixed BSP holes
    -Added Radar that shows flag's position, the barge and the trains
    -Replaced Paladins with Hellbenders (paladins didn't fit the garage
    -Trains can now run players down (you take 25 damage for every time the game decides you got hit by it)
    -Fixed barge's floor collision
    -Barge now moves faster
    -Trains now move (relativly) slower
    -Blue bots now use their Cicada
    -Reduced the amount of static meshes in some pathways
    -Changed some static meshes and geometry
    -Fixed some misplaced static meshes
    Night version changes:
    -Optimized for online play (no secret places, good performance)
    -Different lighting, fog, skybox and water
    -Lighting details (self illumination on lamps, burning barrels, blinking hotel sign, coronas etc.)
    -No forcefield around the map (blocking volumes are still there)
    -No blocking volume in the sky (it only affected players and redeemer warheads before if anyone is wondering)
    -Music from UT99 (Seeker)

See more information in the first post.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    why not both?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    More like Silent Hill, with all the fog in it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Getting a Resident Evil vibe from the night version

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Some new screenshots.
    Regular version:
    [shot]http://i.imgur.com/Y1XFsBB.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://i.imgur.com/wNuAWo6.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://i.imgur.com/mQJDuNZ.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://i.imgur.com/4RvN2N9.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://i.imgur.com/j1aJTTm.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://i.imgur.com/VbziRYL.jpg[/shot]

Nigth version preview:
    [shot]http://i.imgur.com/SkHCWKL.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://i.imgur.com/rGp24MN.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://i.imgur.com/8KuBPR3.jpg[/shot]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've got something new coming up for this map.
    [shot]http://i.imgur.com/ZKlTby0.jpg[/shot]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Here is the link to a file with a basically empty map, with just the new custom static meshes, arranged where they should go in the map (in other words you should just be able to copy and paste them). I've placed the new train and barge cab textures (with specular maps for the glass) on a BSP cube near the middle of the map so that they would save as a reference without having to include those static mesh models.

Here is what is included: a new railing "system" in the map for the hand rails; Treetrunks; I recreated the staticmesh catwalk floors from UT3 that were used in the barge docks, you can see if you like them; slightly higher poly ladders; bunch of different light fixture/pole meshes to replace many of the existing ones (they all use the same texture so it should be better for rendering with less textures in memory); new fountain mesh/base and water; new seawater meshes, as an xProcMesh actor these should be a bit more optimzed than the fluidSurfaceInfos; replaced the wooden dock poles with static meshes instead of BSP; new train stop shelter mesh to match the original UT3 map, uses a catwalk texture from the flag base; lower poly yellow bollards; lower poly red dumpster mesh; and I think that's it....

[EDIT] Forgot to mention, I used an alpha texture from Dom-goose.utx that was normally for large waterfalls, it is 1024x1024, for the silly little fountain waterfalls' material shader. A better optimization would be to recreate the alpha texture at a much, much lower resolution (say 64x128 max) since it is such a small decoration mesh and its quite a waste to load a full 1024^2 texture just for the alpha...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @ UnShame: I'll group the custom actors like last time, and no, they should not require anything more than copy and paste from the map. For the BSP error in the blue base, changing those staircase support braces to "semi-solid" brushes should probably work. I'll post a link this weekend.

@ jefe: For a "vanill"a version I was eventually able to clear them, but since there was some obscure reference to the flags (even after having deleted them saved the map, closed UEd and re-opened UEd) so the custom class would just not go away. Since they used the same class name as the regular flags I was concerned that they would always be referenced somehow. I think it may have been the botpathing; after rebuilding the pathing with the flags removed (and removing the VCTF gametype from the level properties,and editing the ut2004.ini file to not load the unrealgame, xGame .u packages when UEd started) that finally seemed to clear the classes out.

On a side note, I found a way those laser turrets can be set to be powered without needing an embedded subclass by using a scriptedTrigger that has a ACTION_consolecommand using the string "set ONSManualGunPawn bPowered true" (without the quotes), and then a ACTION_DisableThisScript. It seems to work just fine even after the turrets have been destroyed and reset.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I know you said you were done with this map, but if you are interested, I've made some lower-poly versions of some of the meshes (a few of the lights, the white concrete doorway, a set of black metal handrails to use for the railings, remakes of the tree trunk meshes and stairs), and some lower resolution "specular masks" that can be used to add glass shine to the train and boat textures' windows as part of a shader. If you'd like to consider adding them, let me know.
    Sure, if I don't need to redo a significant part of the map, I'm all for it
    There are still things that I need to fix anyway like a giant BSP hole on the blue base in the standard version which I have no idea how it went unnoticed.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by meowcat View Post
    On a side note, a warning to mappers: don't open this map in UEd, and then save as a "vanilla" version as a CTF map etc. The embedded custom ctf flags (along with the other embedded classes/code) appear to get stuck in the new map. Since the custom flag classes in Train Crossing have the same name as a default ctf flag classes (but with a different parent class) they seem to always get loaded when you open your new map to work, I've not found a way to "delete" the embedded unused classes.
    Deleting the custom flags (or other embedded custom actors) and then saving and closing unreal ed should completely remove them. Otherwise they are kept in memory as you continue to work (this is what happened on your other map.)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I wanted to follow up on this map as I've played it a bit more now. While it may not run on my old machine, it plays fine on my UT3 compatible machine. I gotta say I love the detail you've got in here. The bots seemed to do A-Ok too at trying to grab the flag. I really dig the little touches (detail textures yeah!) like the custom boundary textures, and the jump pad on the middle island that kicks you on to the passing boat, very fun! And although I'm not a huge fan of embedded content, the little hidden easter egg is pretty cool and the custom vehicles do seem more appropriate for the map. I still wish you'd stuck with standard CTF flags though since they are more compatible with flag mutators, but hey these flags work.

Also, thank you for the effort in trying to optimize the map! Those custom "culled" static mesh textures for some of the buildings look really good and work well for their purpose.

I know you said you were done with this map, but if you are interested, I've made some lower-poly versions of some of the meshes (a few of the lights, the white concrete doorway, a set of black metal handrails to use for the railings, remakes of the tree trunk meshes and stairs), and some lower resolution "specular masks" that can be used to add glass shine to the train and boat textures' windows as part of a shader. If you'd like to consider adding them, let me know.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I like the new version of the map, the details look great (now only if the thing would run on older computers ). I'm thinking you might have been able to get away with 3 terrain infos at much lower resolution to cover the river bottom, and grassy areas on each side. The tessellation of the river bottom is super high and could probably be 1/3 to 1/4 the resolution and still look great.

On a side note, a warning to mappers: don't open this map in UEd, and then save as a "vanilla" version as a CTF map etc. The embedded custom ctf flags (along with the other embedded classes/code) appear to get stuck in the new map. Since the custom flag classes in Train Crossing have the same name as a default ctf flag classes (but with a different parent class) they seem to always get loaded when you open your new map to work, I've not found a way to "delete" the embedded unused classes.

UnShame could enlighten us as to how get the NukePainter class out from the map? (pretty please!) I understand the whole "mapper's vision" thing (playing the way the author intended), but I'm not super comfortable with a lot of custom stuff in the maps unless it is included as separate packages (it tends to break compatibility with mutators etc.). Maybe a "vanilla UT2k4" version of the map with the release?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It requires some files from Bonus Pack 2, there's a link to the required files right under the download link
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/zs...8/BP2Files.zip
    I find it weird that some people don't have that pack
    I'll probably import them into mylevel in the final version...
    so what was the cause of the issue before?
    It has something to do with pathnodes, I'm still not sure what exactly causes it. I was basically deleting pathnodes here and there and at some point it just worked.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    nice, downloading this

so what was the cause of the issue before?

EDIT: When I try to play the maps I get an error:

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3093 MHz with 4095MB RAM
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (3523)

Failed to enter C:\UT2004\Maps\VCTF-RT-TrainCrossingRC1-Foggy.ut2: Can't find file for package 'JumpshipTextures'

History: UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free

Leave a comment:

• replied
    FINALLY, got it to save!
    You can download the RC1 version of the map here (Required files from BP2 ).
    There are two maps in the archive: standard and foggy.
    This is the last version before the final release, no more significant changes will be made, only bug fixes.

Changelog from beta3:
    -Flag building is now completely unaccessible by vehicles, added visual signs
    -Improved bot paths - defense positions, assault paths, jump spots, water paths
    -Teleporters to the top of lighthouse were moved to the lighthouse itself
    -Added super adrenaline pickup where teleports were previously
    -The gates at the ports were removed
    -Replaced Scorpions with EONS Scorpions
    -Replaced SPMA with Ion Tank
    -Added two secrets (not in foggy version). Can you find them?
    -Added forcefields and improved the positioning of blocking volumes around the map
    -Improved the sea border of the map - added byuos and it now blends more seaminglesly with the skybox
    -Textures in the tunnels now fade to black
    -Added music from UT3 (Mechanism Eight)
    -Added some ambient sounds
    -Mine layer now respawns like Redeemer and ammo for it is very hard to find
    -Fixes in mesh placement and texture alignment
    -Other bugfixes

More information in the first post.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X