VCTF-RT-TrainCrossing v2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

meowcat, that's great!
    could you upload the barge in separated parts please (the bottom part with the deck, cabin, flagpole or whatever it is), it's not the right size but if i scale it i end up with everything on it being stretched vertically (z-scale is 2.45, while y and x are 1.5)
    i think i'm gonna use all of the stuff you converted except for the bushes on the hills, they look out of place photo-realistic and at the same time really flat

Comment

Try these .ase files out: Barge Meshes

I personally kind of liked the UT3 background brush meshes as compared to that one (in my opinion) terribly ugly tree leaf texture that UT2k4 uses a lot (the one with the black edges around all of the leaves, always appeared very strange to me...), but I'll still play the map either way.

I was not sure how much of the bot pathing you'd played with, but here are a few useful links in case you'd not already read these pointers for mapping for VCTF: UnrealWiki Mapping for VCTF, and Pathing for Vehicles

Comment

that's perfect, thanks
        about bot pathing: i've read all these articles but the problem is that it takes too long to rebuild the paths to really "play" with them
        i will remove all unnecessary assaultpaths, try to fix the path to the blue cicada, try to make them use the boat, fix the exits from the garages with vehicles and i think that's about it

Comment

Path building duration is mostly affected by the number and density of navigation points. In Beta 2 you definitely had far too many of them, for example I already mentioned your usage of RoadPathNodes. Their entire idea is to reduce the navpoint count on large maps by not having to place that many of them.

Comment

Nice to see my LevelConfigManager used in other than Trial maps =), although disappointing you only used the DynamicBlockingVolumes

Nice map btw, but I couldn't play because your archive doesn't include its dependencies unfortunately.

Comment

it requires meshes and textures from AS-BP2-Acatana (which is in the mega pack that's why i didn't include them)
              here they are
              http://www.mediafire.com/download/zs...8/BP2Files.zip

Comment

how i want this map to look
                [shot]http://i.imgur.com/CTgpGWy.jpg[/shot]
                how it ends up looking
                [shot]http://i.imgur.com/C7wVtnC.jpg[/shot]
                (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Overall, Your meshing and BSP work looks quite good.

Coming from the ehh.. Pictures?:

- Rocks are a bit too strong and I don't like the material. There are lots of custom rock materials out there. I suggest you try out some of Nobiax's his rock materials.
                  As well as try and upscaling your landscaping to 2x. Oh and please add some additional height differencials in your Landscape. At the moment it all looks a bit equalized.

- If your going with Foliage on rocks, you might wanna reconsider using 2 materials and add an additional like Grass material pasted on top of the rocks you are planning to place the meshes on.
                  Trees growing out of rocks looks kinda weird and if your going with a realistic floorplan, this might do good.

- Whats wrong with the water? The water looks somehow too dirty. Even dirty water has a pretty high rate of translucentcy to it. I suggest you make the water more bright to boost believability.

- Some Roof meshing could do with a little variation. (Rotating, upscaling, downscaling) Like the dirt roof just below on the second pic all looks similar. Dirt does not behave like that.

Furtheron stuff looks good. Interested in how this evolves.
                  On a side note: Did you inform the official author euh Nathaniel about this map?

Comment

thanks, i'm taking notes
                    Did you inform the official author euh Nathaniel about this map?
                    no, i'm pretty sure he's not around anymore
                    Last Activity: 05-10-2011 02:35 AM
                    ------------------------
                    i still can't get a good enough eye candy/fps ratio, it either look decent but fps drops down to 40 or even 30 in some places, or the fps stays around 60-70 but it looks terrible
                    adding culldistance to most of the meshes helped to up the fps a little bit but it's still not high enough to be playable :/
                    and that's on a good pc

Comment

Originally posted by UnShame View Post
                      how i want this map to look
                      [shot]http://i.imgur.com/CTgpGWy.jpg[/shot]
                      how it ends up looking
                      [shot]http://i.imgur.com/C7wVtnC.jpg[/shot]
                      (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
                      Wanna crank up the ambient hue in all ZoneInfos and increase the fog distance so that it's nearly ineffective and instead only rely on proper cull distances?

Comment

I've got a new version!
                        https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...sing-Foggy.zip
                        It has terrain and a lot of fog, which should keep the fps above 60 most of the time.
                        Also have fixed\changed\added a bunch of stuff here and there.
                        There will be a proper release with two versions - foggy and laggy
                        This is something like a RC

Comment

As far as the original author, I would still make an effort to inform him. PM him on forums and try and find his website...e-mail....and let him know. Looking forward to final release.

Comment

The map struggles to run on my machine too. And despite what that one guy said about this modern tech and files, a lot of people play this game on old hardware. So it needs to be playable for everyone, and it still desperately needs optimizing. 86mb is still huge and you could stand to get rid of or reduce the size of a lot of the textures, and reduce your mesh usage.

Browsing through your textures was very confusing. A major reason for this is that you've used things from a lot of other maps, and everyone has their own system for organizing textures and meshes. And you should attempt to organize them too to make it the job of optimizing this map easier. Just right click and rename.

*The blue restaurant textures. There are already blue textures in the FarEast package, and you seem fine with using the regular red textures. Why bother making a bunch of slightly different blue ones? That's thirteen myleveled textures for just for one building. There is no good reason for this, so just use the regular blue textures.

*Clan textures. First the "Russian Tournament" textures are quite large, 1024x512. That's a bit much. And you used another one just for the level preview, which basically no one will ever see, why not use one of the other two? Rembo's server on every flag might be okay when on Rembo's server, but when you release a map to the public, it's not. Clan textures look unprofessional, especially when they are all over the map.

*Generic textures. Stuff like 'metal.basenew1' and 'buildleveltex', 'AMDK-STP-Clouds-fxd' and most of the stuff in 'floors.' Why not use similar materials from the default UT2004 packages? A lot of these are just variations on the default textures anyway.

*Similar textures. Some of these, like floor98 and floorsgraytiles, I get that you're trying to do some subtle team colors. But I don't think that's necessary, there are enough team colored things on the map. But if you really want them, color modifiers will do the job without increasing file size. There are a lot of different variations on wood, brick and metal textures too. I think eliminating a few of them would help, and using default UT2004 replacements.

*Materials on meshes. You could substitute default UT2004 textures or other textures from mylevel on many of these.

Mesh usage. Is it necessary to use every type of box and crate ever? Narrow it down a bit, don't use ones from obscure packages like Nirvana anyway, it just adds to the time it takes to download the level.

*A lot of your myleveled textures still need detail textures.

*Texture alignment needs work.

*ANITPORTALS. You're using them wrong. They cause stuttering when you use too many of them, and will in fact decrease FPS. 50 is far too many. Don't use them to surround small builidings like those restaurants. They must be used as large blocks, and only a few of them. Fog, decreasing texture and mesh usage, and mesh culling are the keys to optimizing an open map like this.

I think you could easily shave 20 or 30 mb off this map just by doing as i suggested.

Comment

This is all great suggestions, thank you a lot.
                              Never realized rendering textures eats up so much recourses. Tried replacing all textures with a single one - 30 more fps.
                              Does it work the same way with meshes? I mean, if i have a lot of different meshes, is it more costly to render than the same amount of the same ones? Or is it just about the loading time and filesize?

Comment

Originally posted by UnShame View Post
                                This is all great suggestions, thank you a lot.
                                Never realized rendering textures eats up so much recourses. Tried replacing all textures with a single one - 30 more fps.
                                Does it work the same way with meshes? I mean, if i have a lot of different meshes, is it more costly to render than the same amount of the same ones? Or is it just about the loading time and filesize?
                                Yes, it works the same way with meshes. In fact, it even stacks with the textures: if you have two meshes with the same materials applied, they will only be processed once; but if you have two meshes with different materials, even if the base mesh is the same, they will be processed twice, increasing the overhead. Also, the more materials a mesh has applied, the more passes are needed to render it, increasing overhead. That's one reason why you see a lot of static meshes using mesh maps instead of basic textures (but it's a balancing act – if you use that texture somewhere else in the level, it may be more beneficial to not use a separate mesh map for that, since it would decrease the number of textures used in the level).

Comment

Working...
                                X