No announcement yet.

VCTF-RT-TrainCrossing v2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks like a good plan! I look forward to the next revision!

Comment

So i just finished aligning the geometry of the level, managed to get rid of all bsp holes and create proper zoning.
      Now when I'm looking from one side to another, my fps is ~50 with maximum fog distance and ~100 with minimum fog distance
      [shot]http://i.imgur.com/EEMf3YJ.jpg[/shot][shot]http://i.imgur.com/GWZ4XOO.jpg[/shot]
      Still need to apply cull distance to some meshes and align them, and add some more anti portals
      Also, meowcat, why don't you answer to my messages?
      I sent you an archive with cargo meshes and you didn't reply
      edit: i need some help with this. when underwater, the fog has different color and skybox looks like a blue line. i tried putting a texture on the underwater part, but skybox is still visible in some parts
      [shot]http://i.imgur.com/gu5fXsM.jpg[/shot]
      edit2:
      now i need even more help
      editor crashes every time i try to rebuild the lighting but it doesn't crash if i rebuild all
      General protection fault!

History: FPoly::SplitWithPlane <- FPoly::SplitWithNode <- FEditorVisibility::FilterThroughSubtree <- FEditorVisibility::FilterThroughSubtree <- FEditorVisibility::FilterThroughSubtree <- FEditorVisibility::FilterThroughSubtree <- FEditorVisibility::FilterThroughSubtree <- FEditorVisibility::FilterThroughSubtree <- FEditorVisibility::FilterThroughSubtree <- FEditorVisibility::FilterThroughSubtree <- FEditorVisibility::FilterThroughSubtree <- FEditorVisibility::MakePortalsClip <- FEditorVisibility::MakePortals <- FEditorVisibility::MakePortals <- FEditorVisibility::MakePortals <- FEditorVisibility::TestVisibility <- UEditorEngine::TestVisibility <- UEditorEngine::shadowIlluminateBsp <- UEditorEngine::Exec_Light <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (LIGHT APPLY) <- UUnrealEdEngine::Exec <- WPageOptions::BuildLighting <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop

Comment

downloaded this map, looks pretty cool (didn't test yet) but holy cow... 120 mb? O.O
        The map could be smaller if you use less custom static meshes & textures, wasn't there any UT2004 static that would fit the remake? D:

Looks like you did a nice job anyway, i will test it soon.
        Thanks!
        Rampage

Comment

Originally posted by UnShame View Post
          now i need even more help
          editor crashes every time i try to rebuild the lighting but it doesn't crash if i rebuild all
          This is a problem that includes BSP & lighting, try check out what was the last bsp you added/subtracted before do last rebuild (not the one that the editor crashes), between the last rebuild and the one the editor crash, try remove the last brush you added/subtracted in this time, if you can't find it very well, use the googles and "search" for the brush with the highest number, because it means that it was the most recent brush added/subtracted, and then when you rebulild again, if it still crashes, then i don't know what to do...

Hope it helps.
          Thanks!
          Rampage ^^

Comment

it looks like there was something wrong with zones
            i cut all zoneinfos and pasted them back, after that rebuilding the lights works fine
            right now the map is 53.7mb, the archive is so big because there's a lot of files needed for custom vehicles that won't be in the next version and also i included all files second time, compressed in uz2
            i'd suggest you to wait until i release the second beta version before downloading the map, the first beta is pretty terrible
            the only thing that prevents me from releasing the second beta is that i don't have those meshes for cargo ship
            can somebody help me with that?
            i exported these meshes from ut3 but i don't know how to convert them
            https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56263088/KargoMeshes.zip

Comment

yay, managed to convert the meshes by myself

it's so easy, just installed 3ds max, run a script, imported the pcsx, applied the texture, optimized, exported as .ase, imported into the editor, then imported the texture and applied the it
              expect beta 2 in the next few days
              preview
              [shot]http://iceimg.com/i/ca/e8/b14f2516f0.jpg[/shot]

Comment

i tested the barge online and it works horrible
                it teleports from one end to another and it's always way ahead of its' collision
                and if i can probably deal with the collision issue by creating a simple collision for the static mesh and then adding a bunch of moving blocking volumes for boxes and other stuff on the barge, i have no idea how to fix that first bug
                any ideas?

Comment

Beta2 is released, download
                  See the first post for screenshots, changelog and more info.

Comment

@ UnShame: Sorry I did not respond to your PMs. If you would like I can send you a low-poly version of the barge for use (the hull is around 800 tris, the cabin is ~80 tris).

Comment

hmm, i already combined the whole thing together for the mover... but send it anyway
                      thanks

Comment

Also one thing you might not be aware of: in the Build Options (a button next to the Rebuild All button) are some properties that you can change. For instance is it by default set to save lightmaps as DXT-compressed version. You should change that to RGB and also check the "Dither" option there. The reason why this is better is that DXT-compressed lightmaps are saved in addition to the RGB ones instead of them, so it only bloats the map file up while RGB would also give you better results and shorter rebuild times for lights.

Comment

More than 70MB compressed for a single map? This better be good.

[edit]
                          I remember working (or planning to work) on a special JumpSpot class for Jump Boots, but I probably never put it online. (or even got it to work, can't remember. :S)

BTW: RoadPathNodes are meant to be used when you want to put PathNodes further apart than standard navigation points support. They are not really related to vehicles directly, just to the fact that vehicles will need much larger maps. Also I'm pretty sure you are using AssaultPaths incorrectly. For one, they are navpoints like PathNodes, so no need to place PathNodes around them. Secondly, AssaultPaths are meant to provide the bots with hints how to approach an objective. Don't plaster the entire path with them, only place them to mark a spot on one path of a route. You will also have to link them to the goal objective and specify, which routes the individual AssaultPaths participate in. On these routes, you need to order the AssaultPaths and give same-level AssaultPaths individual (potentially identical) weights.

Comment

More than 70MB compressed for a single map?
                            actually 40mb compressed, there's uz2 file in the archive :P
                            Also I'm pretty sure you are using AssaultPaths incorrectly.
                            i placed them afterwards so bots would use other ways to escape from the base, and it seems to work
                            i guess i will remove the standard nodes near them then
                            Also one thing you might not be aware of: in the Build Options (a button next to the Rebuild All button) are some properties that you can change. For instance is it by default set to save lightmaps as DXT-compressed version. You should change that to RGB and also check the "Dither" option there. The reason why this is better is that DXT-compressed lightmaps are saved in addition to the RGB ones instead of them, so it only bloats the map file up while RGB would also give you better results and shorter rebuild times for lights.
                            hmm, now the map is 5mb smaller, nice

Comment

But still, I'd claim that no map ever needs more than 20 AssaultPath actors - yours has over 80. Place one per exit and properly set them up.

AssaultPaths are important for good bot support on any kind of map with objectives, except maybe Onslaught. I wonder why there don't seem to be any good tutorials about them...

Comment

The map would also be a lot smaller if you had just left the meshes and texture from Downtown in their respective packages that I provided for exactly that reason. The thing with myLeveling is that you force someone to basically download the same stuff multiple times just by making a minor update to the map while it could be avoided. It also hogs more disk space if you keep multiple versions of the map around. And I have seen maps already gotten corrupted from the excessive use of myLeveling assets.

I just don't think that saving server admins one or two more lines to write is worth this amount of disk space and bandwidth waste for the end user.

Comment

Working...
                                X